Sign in to follow this  
nipe

Schrick camshafts

Does anyone know much about m20 cams and where is the best place to source them from? I'm thinking along the lines of Schrick or VAC, but not too sure what I'm looking for really, I know nothing about cams:(( Searched google, but could only find one topic on e30tech that wasn't much of a heklp at all, so if anybody could put their 2c into this topic that would be awesome:) Thanks

Does anyone know much about m20 cams and where is the best place to source them from? I'm thinking along the lines of Schrick or VAC, but not too sure what I'm looking for really, I know nothing about cams:(( Searched google, but could only find one topic on e30tech that wasn't much of a heklp at all, so if anybody could put their 2c into this topic that would be awesome:) Thanks

http://www.bmw2002.com/

Thanks mate, didn't find this site in the google. Has anybody used these cams on their cars from this forum? Need few things clarified with them really

Thanks mate, didn't find this site in the google. Has anybody used these cams on their cars from this forum? Need few things clarified with them really

I Have an IE 284 cam in my race car (2.7 litre 325 engine) and I have a 272 cam for sale $450.00 (I brought the two cams in at same time)

The 272 cam would work well in a road car. From ie web site

" We have these cams custom made for us in Europe. They are NOT regrinds on stock cams. Great upgrade for M20 engines. Makes an improvement you can really feel. Design and results are identical to the Schrick 272. The higher lift helps mid range power and extra duration helps the top end. This cam will pull right up to 7000 rpm. Works very well with other upgrades like chips, free flow air filters, headers etc. These cams have full diameter base circles so do not require oversize eccentrics. "

Did you guys have to use aftermarket valve springs and/or adjustable cam gear?

Any "uprate" to your cam will give you a payoff in some rev ranges but affect you elsewhere as well. A 272 will give you slightly better mid range and top end power, but you will pay for it in fuel consumption, and at the bottom end, i.e, torque off the line - the power you most feel in normal road car driving. The consensus seems to be (and I looked into this pretty long and hard when I built the 2.7 in my e30) that factory standard is pretty good, and without some serious porting and improving the flow of the head, and going to aftermarket rockers and uprated springs etc a better cam may not really add much to an M20 (although it will make it idle nice and lumpy). If you want the cheapest option and best bang for your buck, the factory standard cam from an early M20b23 is slightly higher lift than the one in b20/b25/b27 motors and that's what I ended up using. Of course the purists will argue that you can get significant gains with a 272 or better, and you can, you just won't notice it until you hit about 4500RPM. Which is nice, and sounds great, but if you end up having to give it a boot full of revs to get off the line it makes you look a bit try-hard, especially if you're in traffic. Worth a crack though for a bit of fun, especially if you can get one cheap.

My 2 cents worth.....

Any "uprate" to your cam will give you a payoff in some rev ranges but affect you elsewhere as well. A 272 will give you slightly better mid range and top end power, but you will pay for it in fuel consumption, and at the bottom end, i.e, torque off the line - the power you most feel in normal road car driving. The consensus seems to be (and I looked into this pretty long and hard when I built the 2.7 in my e30) that factory standard is pretty good, and without some serious porting and improving the flow of the head, and going to aftermarket rockers and uprated springs etc a better cam may not really add much to an M20 (although it will make it idle nice and lumpy). If you want the cheapest option and best bang for your buck, the factory standard cam from an early M20b23 is slightly higher lift than the one in b20/b25/b27 motors and that's what I ended up using. Of course the purists will argue that you can get significant gains with a 272 or better, and you can, you just won't notice it until you hit about 4500RPM. Which is nice, and sounds great, but if you end up having to give it a boot full of revs to get off the line it makes you look a bit try-hard, especially if you're in traffic. Worth a crack though for a bit of fun, especially if you can get one cheap.

My 2 cents worth.....

Just noticed I posted this on my son's account. It was me, not him. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Thanks for that info, it was very helpful, my main goal is to get a better performance with the turbo. As my factory one is worn I have to get a cam anyway so thought that I might as well get something that will perform

M20B23 cam for sale, $300

Includes M20B23 pistons, conrods, block, head, valve springs, manifold, and... umm bits that go whirrrrr ;)

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry383210

Shipping going to kill it...otherwise I'd probably take it! And probably while I'm at doing all that to the head might as well get a brand new cam instead of second hand...

Good German Racing Bits, a new importer in Christchurch NZ has a supply line set up with Schrick. depending on freight and currency options, a Schrick 288 E30 325 M20 cam was about $1200 incl gst.

phone Graeme/Peter on 021 24 37382 to find out more.

Good German Racing Bits, a new importer in Christchurch NZ has a supply line set up with Schrick. depending on freight and currency options, a Schrick 288 E30 325 M20 cam was about $1200 incl gst.

phone Graeme/Peter on 021 24 37382 to find out more.

Is that Graeme from DCH ??