Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Heat wrap or ceramic coating headers

Will this really give any effect to performance? Or any benefits to be had other then appearance?

Options so far are to send to HPC or procoat. I'm sure they'll make the headers look good. But if that was what I wanted I'd of posted in the appearance part of the forum. Will their coatings really be any better then getting some vht ceramic coat and doing it myself?

Heat wrap is probably not really an option for me. This is because I'm too worried about the headers cracking.

This is going on to e36 s50b32 headers if it makes any difference

less heat in the engine bay is always good. Cant really say which is best tho.

Would also be interested.

Will be attacking it early next year.

i had a customer i sponcered a few years ago and he was also sponcered by HPC and nearly everything in the car was coated, i tuned it before and after and all i can say was it stayed cleaner longer!!!

When running on leaded race gas it does stop headers going rusty,then again of you apply VHT the way its meant to be that also works well, if you look to what the big boys use in racing thatll give you an idea to what works best.

i had a customer i sponcered a few years ago and he was also sponcered by HPC and nearly everything in the car was coated, i tuned it before and after and all i can say was it stayed cleaner longer!!!

Cheers this is exactly the info I was after.

So what I am trying to reduce is radiant and ambient heat from inside the engine bay

As far as I know

-Ceramic coatings will not do much if anything to reduce radiant heat but should do a little bit for ambient heat.

-Heat wrap will reduce radiant and ambient heat

Because I would not consider my headers to be a disposable item. I also do not want to have to check them for cracks every year, I don't think I should be using heat wrap.

Currently I am thinking I'll coat them in VHT and set up some heat shields like in an e46. Posted Image

I'm sure the shield above the headers will be a straight bolt on for the m52

Posted Image

I'd like to copy the way the brakes and diagnostic port are boxed off from the engine as well

Any input on if you think i'm doing this correct or not would be appreciated

Edited by bbs

James, gasket and shield are as one. You won't fit the shields on with M3 headers.

ah bummer, cheers for that. Should've had a better look at how they're mounted on.

I worked in a shop making motorcycle exhausts and the guys there always had good things to say about the ceramic coatings