Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Race Seat certing

do they need certing?

gus is curious

If you mount it on your original seat runners. I believe the answer is no.

I'll see if I can find out.

did andy's need certing gus?

I think they do need certing.

Mine is certed for non-OE seats.

Esp. if you use E30 seat rails as BMW was so kind to mount the seat belt anchorage off it!!

dont you just have sports seats?

its a diff matter whackin em on a cert being done anyway, as opposed to getting a whole new cert. my seatbelt is just attached to the unibody....not onto the seat like my old facelift sports seats were. buckety good ness

Yes the do need certing. I have recaro recliners in my 318 sedan and they are certed, But in most cases they need extra long rails if you are putting non recliners into a 2 door car. I think you can get away with a solid race seats in a 4 door aslong as they are mounted to the standard rails, And i say good luck trying to mount a race seat to an E30 seat rail. You will defently need a welder, grinder, drill and of course more steel. if ya want any pics of how i mounted mine just sing out, cos mine have been certerfied.

Guest Andrew

Yes the do need certing. I have recaro recliners in my 318 sedan and they are certed, But in most cases they need extra long rails if you are putting non recliners into a 2 door car. I think you can get away with a solid race seats in a 4 door aslong as they are mounted to the standard rails, And i say good luck trying to mount a race seat to an E30 seat rail. You will defently need a welder, grinder, drill and of course more steel. if ya want any pics of how i mounted mine just sing out, cos mine have been certerfied.

mine were certed on factory seat rails (e28 rails though)

k it all goes like this.

as long as they are on factory rails no, unless you have a two door car you cant have fixed buckets unless however you have the car reg as a two seater and remove the rear seat and seat belts (like mine and andys). if you have a four door you can have fixed seats but again only on the factory rails.

if in doubt get that sh*t certed :D but you dont need to if follow above said rules

gay...meh not gonna have it in all the time

just special occasions

thanks for the input

if ya want any pics of how i mounted mine just sing out, cos mine have been certerfied.

would love to see pics....gonna have a wee project soon

Post the pic's for all to see.

I had a Recaro SR (fixed back race seat) in my Evo, but that bolted straight to the Evo seat rails as they have Recaro's stock.

No cert needed.

You will defently need a welder, grinder, drill and of course more steel.

And thats exactley why you need a cert.

As soon as you start modifying/making sturcural changes to the chassis, seat mounts, seat belt anchorages, etc... it's time to talk to LVVTA certifier.

Guest Andrew

ok if i want to get seats similar to this(see attached) do i need to get them cert? and what does that invlove?

read the thread -

use your factory rails.

well i got one seat like andys....im sorta hoping to just use it for and around the time of track days, drag days etc.......if you get pulled over how anal are cops for that sorta thing?

would just use my stock seats to pass wof

I only ever had a problem twice with my Mini when I had a jamex in there (not certed, home made mounts-to MANZ standards(ws in a race car))

once a cop was being anal at a checkpoint, he couldnt find anything else wrong with the car, got picky bout the seat (was really low, my eye level was only a couple inches above the side window sill)

other was when nobody at the garage I used to get wofs from (now closed down) could actually fit into it.... lol.

never got pulled up about it for a wof though, weird

well i got one seat like andys....im sorta hoping to just use it for and around the time of track days, drag days etc.......if you get pulled over how anal are cops for that sorta thing?

would just use my stock seats to pass wof

Pink or Green stickered.

Off to VTNZ for a WoF.

That's if they are real anal!!

dont get a jamex if you like your spine...

aye andy :P

mmmm spring goodness

my Jamex was awesome..... FIA approved and everything. Never had a seat more comfortable, even on long as a mofo trips. hmmmm, should get it back. van with race bucket. LOL!

meh...spines are overrated

thats the spirit champ!

dont get a jamex if you like your spine...

aye andy :P

mmmm spring goodness

nah they aint even bad, except for the crazy spring :lol: