Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Time for a new car... what to get.

I have a small decision to make at this time. I recently sold my E36 320i as I was looking to upgrade to a e46 but now I have spent some time thinking and come to the conclusion that I should be more realistic with my choice.

I am 20 years old now and still have 2 years to go of a 4 year course at uni and with a part time job. so instead of a bmw for a next car I was maybe thinking of a cheaper run around car until i get through uni and then get a job after that.

I am looking for something around a 1.8-2.5L car which is economical to drive. I can spend up to roughly 10k at this time but looking to only spend around 8k for a car. Been looking at some ford mondeos, primeras and legacys but want some advice from others on this forum for decent daily drivers. also i dont' want a turbo car due to insurance costs and other reasons.

Cheers

Have you considered a Focus ? Mate had one, awesome wee handler

got offerd as a trade on my 330i a 2003 st170 focus 2L 6spd manual nz new 195k fsh etc

about $10k owns it

Buy my e36 323i manual coupe - cheap on gas and still a nice bmw!!

If economy is your thing while studying go for a ricer, still quick enough if you want to have a little play, plenty of parts, easy(ish) to repair only real downside is they attract cops! i took my Subaru for a drive today and got stopped twice in about 2 hours...all to check the legalities of my machine...lucky for certification so i didnt have to piss around while he checked it :o

E39!!!!!

Im at uni too and work 8 hours a week part time. The car has been nothing but reliable and cheap to run and its a nice upgrade from an E36 :)

Edited by RJS

manual nissan primera(not the recent funny shaped one)toyotas and hondas are too expensive.

manual nissan primera(not the recent funny shaped one)toyotas and hondas are too expensive.

Can't go wrong with one of those, we had one years ago and done some big k's on it with very little issues. I called it the MK 6 Cortina.

Can't go wrong with one of those, we had one years ago and done some big k's on it with very little issues. I called it the MK 6 Cortina.

not only that the sr20 is a nice motor AND has a bit of a kick to it too

Depends what you're into really.

Personally I'd get a DC2 Type R for that sort of money. Ridiculously cheap to run, and obviously they love a thrashing.

Damn, should've kept my Hondas instead of creating headaches for myself by buying an E30

Get an E30 ;). You know you want to!

Could get quite a nice one for that price. Take your pick, M50, turbo, v8, m325i etc haha

I have a small decision to make at this time. I recently sold my E36 320i as I was looking to upgrade to a e46 but now I have spent some time thinking and come to the conclusion that I should be more realistic with my choice.

I am 20 years old now and still have 2 years to go of a 4 year course at uni and with a part time job. so instead of a bmw for a next car I was maybe thinking of a cheaper run around car until i get through uni and then get a job after that.

I am looking for something around a 1.8-2.5L car which is economical to drive. I can spend up to roughly 10k at this time but looking to only spend around 8k for a car. Been looking at some ford mondeos, primeras and legacys but want some advice from others on this forum for decent daily drivers. also i dont' want a turbo car due to insurance costs and other reasons.

Cheers

you could buy a very nice 318 for that price,and i bet it would be economical to run,AND hold its value

thanks for the info everyone. My parents said they may loan me some money so i may be able to get another bmw. although i do lik e30's i think i would be either going for a e46 318i or a e46 320i. Also with the new budget also had a look at a few 2003-2004 subaru legacys non turbo ones. they look alright and drive alright but still prefer bmw's. Hopefully i can make up my mind soon.

Not really a fan of the TI's. More looking at sedans right now. Gone to a few yards and had a look at some more E46 318i, E46 320i and sum third Gen Legacy N/A. Still preferring the the BMW feel on the road but in terms of performance and efficiency which would be better of the 318 and 320i's? i like the straight 6 but is it the same with the e36's where the 320i's are basically evenly matched to the 318i's? Only looking mainly at these 3 cars as im not after major performance but just a nice car that has a bit of kick when needed.

Hi, a mid 90s Toyota Corrola 1600 or 1800cc NZ or Corona is a good way to go for next to nothing running costs, good resale value and at the end of the course buy a BMW.

Dave.

Yea i've considered getting a corolla but still have my heart set on a bmw but i guess i have to be realistic at this time of my life. Also if i was to get a bmw i kinda dont' want to get a 4 cylinder rather get the straight 6 so either a 325i or 325i which means i will probably just get a good simple jap daily driver and wait till i have a steady job after uni.

What do you guys reckon out of these type of cars as a daily driver.

Subaru Legacy 03 non turbo B4

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-343289491.htm

Toyota Corolla GL 2001+

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=343229396

also a newer legacy

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=342547463

any one recommend any of the non turbo subarus as a dd?

Id avoid that model corolla. They have balls, but no heart. Grip up front isnt too great, seating position is extremely high, as is centre of gravity, fuel economy is ok but nothing fantastic, and everything feels cheap. Real cheap. Not to mention the fact that they all rattle. Even if it doesnt when you test drive it, give it another 5000kms and it will. Not a biggy but gets real annoying real fast.

^^ This

Euro-Rs are an extremely competent package, and cheap to run. Just make sure it hasn't got a crunch going into reverse.