Sign in to follow this  
Phatputer

Project swap-a-crate

He's already inspired me to take my leaky POS out of the bay and do a manual swap <.<

That is one spiffy looking m20.

Getting there.

Lots of annoying little things today, pulled the dash out of the 4 door to try work out if I could swap the check panel.. that is going to be a little too annoying.

Also re-wired in the starter wiring in the loom instead of the previous owners odd change where they had cut the wires in the loom and wired in their own starter relay, probably find it was for a reason later when trying to get the M10 to work in the 4 door.

Cabling all tidied up

Posted Image

Sway bar bushes and new links installed, engine mounts swapped over

Posted Image

Pedal box mostly re-installed into the Coupe, nice to see a clutch pedal there

Posted Image

Hmm, all this has to be back together tonight ready for engine tomorrow, this has been a long tiring process

Posted Image

Engine runs in new body, that was a relief

This morning

Posted Image

An hour or so later

Posted Image

Pushing everything up into the engine bay, had a second pair of hands till around lunchtime

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then one engine bay was is, run all the wires back where they belongs, plug in accessories

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turned over first time, didn't have exhaust on yet, Wow the 6 is loud without it :)

Many many hours later

Exhaust systems and mounts swapped between cars, installation of drive shaft and under car covers

bled the clutch, interesting task with one person

lots done that I just worked through till it got a bit late.

Last thing for the night was put the bonnet on, found a nasty scratch I wasn't pleased about, oh well things happen.

Posted Image

Car has been running well for last few days, swapped heater hoses to sort heater not working, silly mistake.

Resolved a few other small issues.

Today

Attempted swapping diffs, I say attempted as I managed to get the diff from the other car in about an hour including the rear sway bar and associated items.

I then spent the next 7 odd hours attempting to get the diff out of the Coupe, all due to a locked bolt on the half shaft where it connects to the diff, initial attempts to remove just stripped the inside hex thread from the bolt.

CRC, Vice Grips, Heat, Cutting a groove in the side and attempts to use a hammer with a screwdriver sideways, second attempt at heat, lots and lots and lots of different methods, wouldn't budge.

Gave up, dropped the diff enough to allow easy install of rear sway bar, did that and put the Auto diff back into place... that was a day wasted

I shall be visiting my mechanic and giving him that job :P, other diff is out and clean so I can just get him to do that and put the new diff bush in while he is at it.

just use a thin grinding disc on your grinder and cut the head off the bolt , easist way to do it when then round out .

then you can just pull the half shaft off and then turn the old thread out by hand.

good work though , engine looks nice

That happened to me too, just removed the CV boot and tool=k the CV with the diff then cut the bolt head off and wound the stud out.

Cheers for the info guys, if I had still be on holiday and not just a day off needing the car the next day, I would have followed this through myself.