Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

E34 Cluster Issue

Got an issue with the cluster in the E34. the Gauges themselves go and are faultless showing the correct readings etc. however the LCD part only goes first thing in the morning and by the time i get to work its dead. The odo continues to count so far as i can see, but the trip meter always resets to zero when i turn the engine off and leave it for a few hours. The part that says the transmission mode and ratio works fine at all times, as do the lights that light the cluster at night

anyone have any idea whats up? was told by the previous owner it may be capacitors, but a quick google search brought up the opposite for caps, being the cluster not working to start with and then coming on when warming up....???

cheers lads

Got an issue with the cluster in the E34. the Gauges themselves go and are faultless showing the correct readings etc. however the LCD part only goes first thing in the morning and by the time i get to work its dead. The odo continues to count so far as i can see, but the trip meter always resets to zero when i turn the engine off and leave it for a few hours. The part that says the transmission mode and ratio works fine at all times, as do the lights that light the cluster at night

anyone have any idea whats up? was told by the previous owner it may be capacitors, but a quick google search brought up the opposite for caps, being the cluster not working to start with and then coming on when warming up....???

cheers lads

I got one i wil take to Welington tonight for you to try out. it got an crack in glass

text me on 0272417328

Cheers Hans

thanks!

really need to sus this one though too as my odo readings will be out otherwise, i like to keep an accurate reading for oilchanges and such. ill text you this arvo if i remember lol

thanks!

really need to sus this one though too as my odo readings will be out otherwise, i like to keep an accurate reading for oilchanges and such. ill text you this arvo if i remember lol

You heard of a pen an paper and a calculator.

haha yeah. if only carjam worked like that too :S

haha yeah. if only carjam worked like that too :S

I think from memory it only got 160000 od on

oh really maybe i wont have to write anything down.. thats about where mine is lol

Hey Andy,

If you get stuck mate, give me a yell, we have several that might have a similar odo

open throughout, except stats

Jon

Edited by Jono51

Still havent sorted this out and i really need to do so, for being able to get my fuel milage if nothing else!

This is the cluster that i have in the car

Posted Image

I cant find another cluster like it on the internet let alone in real life, so replacing it is quite hard

"normal" E34 clusters arent compatable. Does anyone know where i can find one, or even have in thier car to help me search for one?

Alternatively, anyone know where i can get this one repaired?

Second part of the question, is the milage the car does stored on the ECU or on the cluster in these cars? Would assume cluster, but i would like to know.

Cheers, Andy

Shane @ Auto Electrical Services 28 Oakley Avenue,Takanini, Auckland should be able to repair that for you Andrew.

Ph. 0274722287

yes quite a rare cluster . only used in the late model 520i 525i excutives 1994 onwards etc .

its more like a e36 cluster inside .

yes millage is stored in the cluster .

yes shane should be able to sort it for you.

but if you have no luck i should be able to get you one

Shane @ Auto Electrical Services 28 Oakley Avenue,Takanini, Auckland should be able to repair that for you Andrew.

Ph. 0274722287

Thanks Glenn, just gave him a call :)