Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

Steering Coupler

A couple of question for those in the know as there doesn't seem to be much information out there on the interwebs... The race series guys may be able to help on this one...

The steering coupling in the car i just bought is completly shot, part no.3 in the diagram.

I have removed the assembly and drilled/grinded out the original riveted section - now i just need a new bush....

Option 1:

I bought a Nolathane one, only to find it was the wrong part. After some searching i have found a Nolathane bush which should work - for a Holden Gemini, however the thickness is only 11.5mm, when approx 15mm is what is needed. If i go with this option, will spacing the extra few mm with washers make any difference? Also Ireland Engeneering do urethane ones, but would have to wait for it to be sent over - i will more than likely order some of these anyway.

Option 2:

Get a replacement part from the $tealer which will be rubber - haven't made any enquiry's regarding this one just yet.

Option 3:

This is the one i need the experts help on - can i get a solid aluminium or similar 'bush' made and effectively 'solid mount' it? Good and bad points? The car is going to be a race car, so comfort isn't exactly an issue.

The shield, part no.2, is this just a heat shield or does it serve another purpose? ie. can i remove it altogether?

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks.

post-1740-1294017043.png

Edited by bmpower

Hey Kerry,

You could always borrow the decent rubber one out of the Interislander while it's getting ripped to bits while we wait for urethane ones to arrive so you can get a WOF etc....

Just a thought.

Edited by Brams

Hey Kerry,

You could always borrow the decent rubber one out of the Interislander while it's getting ripped to bits while we wait for urethane ones to arrive so you can get a WOF etc....

Just a thought.

I like the idea - but then the 'interislander' will be imobile - well unless you want the car to decide where your going that is?

Will order them prob next week i think - mainly considering the idea of solid mounting....

No opinions??

So i decided to get some urethane couplers from the states for myself and Nath - Got a couple extras at the same time. So have 2 for sale if anyone is interested?

Brand new urethane couplers - replacement for part no.3 above. $70ea.

Recommend changing part no.4 at the same time. about $3 oem from bmw, Part number. B32311114508

PM or 02102777666 if interested.

Cheers.

Edited by bmpower

Does anyone know how much urethane is affected by heat? I dont want my down pipe melting it / catching it on fire.

Yup Ireland ones Andrew.

I would think urethane is alot more resistant to heat than rubber is, but then i'm no expert!! Oem couplings are rubber.

Put me down for one.

PM me your account details.

Cheers.

Put me down for one.

PM me your account details.

Cheers.

Pm'd

1 left guys......

DO you still have these available? Ive ordered one from IE, but I need one now! :D

Happy to buy/borrow/swap Etc. ;)

Edited by Jacko

Unless you use washers to space it, you'll need two of the IE ones to make it long enough to sit on 'sufficent' spline either side. IE are going down the drain....

I used two bolted together in my car and it works fine.

I'll go get a pic later.

Edited by Brams

^ That sucks balls.

Time to call BMW parts department

The OEM coupling is about 18mm wide, the IE one is 10mm :rolleyes:

Kerry and I have both had aluminium ones made up as a result of IE being useless.

BM Workshop Parts department to the rescue! Legends.

Rekon a solid coupling is too harsh for the road? It might be an option for the future, as my headers wrap right around the coupling and likely caused the rubber one to fail.

Be handy, if its not too harsh, as can likely get a 2024T3 one CNC'd up for a pack of timtams ;)

Thanks for the help, tempted to cancel my I.E order.

Edited by Jacko

I machined my own one out of 6061, no complaints, but it's in a race car with stiff suspension anyway...

I'd go with an OEM rubber one, I had a urethane one from Ireland engineering fail on the 2002.

The working temperature of urethane is quite a bit lower than nitrile rubber and in the 2002 the coupler sits very close to the exhaust - your mileage may vary

^ Good info man cheers, I had assumed that polyurethane had a higher temperature tolerance than rubber, hadnt looked into it though. Ive got around 5mm clearance between the headers and heat shield on the coupler, shes pretty tight.

Replaced it this morning with a lemforder rubber one, Im gonna use BM workshop parts again, found them awesome to deal with. Parts guy on the phone knew exactly what I was talking about, had everything including the bolts and bush in stock, couriered it out ASAP, and the price was good too.

Called another place, cant even remember their name (ladies mile?). Took 2 hours for them to call me back and say they didnt do parts for cars as old as mine....

I think Ill replace it with a solid one in the future, I dunno how long the rubber is gonna last.

Edited by Jacko