Sign in to follow this  
kinetik

E46 front suspension (DIY rescue needed)

I'm not very experienced with DIY, but have been wanting to get my hands dirty. I thought I'd start with something simple, so I had a go at adjusting the front camber as described here: http://www.madrussian.net/m3/diy_camber.shtml

Anyway, being a total idiot and not knowing how to use a torque wrench correctly, I've broken one of the bolts on the front strut hat (item 1 in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...g=31&fg=10).

I can order a replacement part, but I don't trust myself to install it (especially now!). Can anyone recommend a mobile mechanic in the Auckland Central area that would be happy to help with this sort of thing?

Edited by kinetik

Got it sorted by Carl from Incar Automotive. Great job. Also learnt not to trust $75 torque wrenches from Bunnings, as it turns out they're total garbage.

Good to hear it's fixed. Hope it hasn't put you off having a fiddle

All though an m3 isn't something i'd want to mess up

Factory settings are conservative. Same with toe. Fine if you like extra front tyre wear and less front grip.

Can I do this on my Corolla? I want more turn in at 150kph.

Easier to make fun of someone than provide useful feedback, is it? I'm learning to track the car at open days when I can, it's not like this is going to make any difference on the street.

Edited by kinetik

Yes it is easier to make fun.

Mate im as bad as you, all I have to do is look at a bolt and it will break, share or just not move, I take my cars to the pro’s now… it is fun learning at times though.

Maybe take it to a few track days and see where you think it could use improvement.. there one up.

What don't you understand?

Why do you need more camber? The m3 geometry is excellent as standard. You shouldn't be understeering. I would look into your tires (pressure, rubber qaulity) and wheel alignment / bushes / control arm play if youre having issues.

You only need to dail out (increase) camber if youre going to lower it, even then it doesn't effect it much.

Running aggressive neg camber and toe out will likely cause more understeer on road tires.

Mainly to reduce tyre wear on the outer edge of the fronts. The adjustment I made only gives you maybe 0.5 degree each way, so it's hardly excessive negative camber. Ideally want toe to be zero on the front, I think. State of the suspension should be fine, the car has very low mileage and hasn't been tracked before I got it. Tyres are ContiSportContacts (OEM widths, 18"), and I was running them just under 40psi hot last time I was on a track. Switching to Michelin PS2s once the current tyres have worn out.

Edited by kinetik

My advice, do what I do when setting up the e30 for the track. Go see Justine at TyreTech on the shore. He is the man when it comes to setting up your car for road or track. Has all the proper gear to do it and great advice to boot.

He looks after all of jerry claytons work and a lot of the race guys use him too. His prices are normal too which is very good considering his service.

Hell be able to put your car on his laser alignment machine and instantly work out why your having issues with understeer.

When I was having issues on the e30 with twitchy steering and unbalanced cornering. I took it to him and he dailed exactly the correct toe out settings and now the car is perfect.