Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Extracting More power - M62B44TU

G'day chaps.

I am wondering, has anyone extracted more power out of their Single Vanos M62B44 out of their 5 or 7 series vehicles with dyno results?

I've always treated those motors to be a bit of a dark area, but lately I think I should look into them this year, as well to be fair, I think they are a lot more impressive than the 1UZFE Toyota V8s I usually deal with, I'm sure theres more to be had in NA spec too, having a superior intake system as stock to the early non VVTi 1UZ

So what are the best ways to get more out of these engines?

I am guessing shelf bought or custom headers along with a decent dual exhaust + ECU remap would be a good start (I've heard with out re-maps power can be lost?)... what can be done to the likes of the intake system & cam shafts?

Thanks in advance for any input. I probably should do some self research too. :rolleyes:

I'll let you know with my M62B44 non vanos unit after i remap it and up grade the exhaust system

I'll let you know with my M62B44 non vanos unit after i remap it and up grade the exhaust system

Should've brought this to hampton, compare it to mine

I spent ages looking around the net for this info and its pretty sparse but the conclusion everyone comes to is its just too expensive to mod past an extra 30hp, (the engines are closer to 300hp than the claimed figure) the supercharger is by far the best bang for buck, 5000 US ive seen the kits sell for, gives an extra 100hp-120hp at 6-7psi.

Edited by andrewm

Im not really sure why its such a dark area.

Its a v8 with single vanos so varible timing on the intake ports.

The block is the same as the s62 so you can bore it out and run 'oversized' pistons (increase the displacement) and increase the stroke. You can also increase compression and if you have access to the parts run a ITB setup as in the s62. The head is different however to the s62 as its does not run double vanos. (varible exhaust port timing)

It you can tune the ECU to gain small amounts of power but all of this is a bit of a waste of time with out modifying the engine properly.

yes ladies and gents, its like any other NA engine. There is no silver bullet.

Start with cold air and free flow exhuast and remove restrictive mufflers and noise reduction x-pipes.

Then increase flow with a great set of flow matched headers and run a lightened flywheel (for manuals only), change intake manifold to a M62B44 non TU for more flow and maybe going for more agreesive cams and a retune.

next steps are pulling the engine apart and start working on the rotating mass (stroked, higher comp pistons, bore out to and retune, at this stage you will be looking at increasing the injector size and most likely fuel pump upgrade.

then your next step is the head, enlarging the ports and oversized valves, replace intake manifold and run s62 ITBs and retune. Alpha-N ? and ditch the MAF.

you can do all this again to an s62 for more gains, running low friction pistons, sleeving the block blah blah, but you starting to talk race engine stuff here.

Or yeah, supercharge / turbo it

Link / Similar ECU would be my first port of call after intake/exhaust. Most people don't really get into the ECUs with N/A which is surprising as given a dollar for hp scale they usually provide quite a good return.