Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

ZF Releases Nine Speed Automatic

Will not be seen in a BMW, unless you count the Mini, as it is for front wheel drive

Link To Story

post-2173-1294780942.jpg

How many gears do you need ???? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Marking a first for front-wheel drive passenger vehicles, the ZF nine-speed will help automakers generate greater fuel-economy gains while also providing a smoother driving experience. The shift times are said to be quite short and the resulting gear changes are nearly imperceptible to passengers.

Isn't that the point of CVT transmissions....

Isn't that the point of CVT transmissions....

i thinks cvt are limited to how much power they can handle.I THINK nissan use them in there two litre primeras.They are steel belts and "pulleys" which can expand and contract so the power is limited by how much the belts slip on the pulleys.Thats my laymans intrepretation any way!

i thinks cvt are limited to how much power they can handle.I THINK nissan use them in there two litre primeras.They are steel belts and "pulleys" which can expand and contract so the power is limited by how much the belts slip on the pulleys.Thats my laymans intrepretation any way!

nissan puts a cvt on a 3.5l 6pot nowadays

nissan puts a cvt on a 3.5l 6pot nowadays

oops my bad...they must have some confidence then.do they programmed steps to shift like a manual too?

yep sure do.

just like the early cvt primeras

iv had one of those for sevral years it actually wasnt to bad as a daily.

I'd love to have to pull one apart :) doubt ANYONE could put it back together... right, so there's the crown gear, and the planetary gear is.... so what the hell is this thing...

And I'm sorry but can you imagine the gear hunting that would go on, particularly if it is in automatic guise. Foot down to overtake, drops 6 cogs, nope gaps gone, crap...

And I'm sorry but can you imagine the gear hunting that would go on, particularly if it is in automatic guise. Foot down to overtake, drops 6 cogs, nope gaps gone, crap...

Clearly you haven't been in a modern BMW, the six/eight speed trans change f**king quick! When you want to kick down, it doesn't go down through every gear, it will jump several according on where your foot is, how fast the vehicle is traveling and where the revs are.

On my SMG it will drop 4 gears from 6th to 2nd directly without going thru 5-4-3.

CVT vs traditional auto is more to do with efficiency, on whatever that I was reading on, manual gearbox has 90+% efficiency, where auto is mid-80s and CVT is high 70s to low 80s. BMW SMG is a manual is 90+% and VW Audio DSG is low 80s for the 6 speed and high 80s for the 7 speed.

With the added efficiency, that will contribute to power figure and fuel figure. Honda Jazz has switched from CVT on the first gen to a traditional auto in the current model partly for this reason.