Sign in to follow this  
BadE30

wheel nut locks

If it were easy to get them off without a key, then they wouldn't be much use would they?

It all depends on what sort of lock nuts they are. Some need a key, others just a different shaped tool. Post up a picture so we can see what type.

You might be able to get a key from a tyre shop if it is a common one, otherwise you will either need to hacksaw it off, drill it out, or weld a bar onto it to undo it.

Are these the ones that slot over the normal wheel nut ? Has a key that goes into the center that you turn and it pops off ?

If so had some on the 750. They are rubbish, you just need a decent pair of grips on them and give them a good twist and yank and off they come.

Are you talking about the big nut that holds the wheel nut cover on??? (if you look at my sig below i'm talking about the blue nuts in the dead centre of the alloy)

My alloys have those big nuts but since I don't have the nut covers I don't need to take the big nut in order to take off the wheel. I do have a big plastic socket specifically designed for undoing the nut but I don't need it since i'll never need to undo them. If you want my nut socket I could part with it :)

Nah i think he's talking about the ones martyn refering to. Either do what martyn said or if you don't have tools or whatever just take it to a tyre shop and they'll sort it out.

EDIT- See if you can by a key off BMW, its pretty small and simple so might not be too expensive

Edited by petone

BMW dealer and not too expensive do not go in the same sentence.

I think I know what you have now not lock nuts as you said but nut locks. Try vice grips, hacksaw, hammer, whatever just don't damage your wheel or the stud.

or jam a big screw driver in the keyhole and twist the sh*t out of it - enough leverage and you should be able to just break the thing off.

yeah i know what hes on about. i have the same system on my car.

with the 'key' wheelnut locks. 90 degree turn will unlock them the key is designed to say on the lock nut itself so as you remove them off the 17mm stud, it will stay on it. I think it is a pain in the arse for me. as i have deep stud holes in my mags and i need a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the key and turn it. I would say in getting them off you will need a flat head screw driver and a hammer to try and twist them so can unlock them.

A wreck I bought with no keys had them on it. They were factory fitted and used the ignition key to unlock them, do they sound like the ones you have?? A couple of hits from a hammer had them sorted, they not very strong!!