Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Front Wheel Bearings

Warrant time again and my front wheel bearings have given me grief again.

Apart from OEM, can I get some decent bearings cheaper elsewhere???

Saeko???

Otherwise, being front bearings do I have to get myself shafted by BMW...

saeco, precision, or skf...

in palmy skf is the goods...

make sure you do the seal while you're in there, and pack them with a decent grease-go for one rated well in excess of the job.....

:thumb:

Carl.

Try "PartsPlus" on Tinakori Road, they are usually alot cheaper than BMW.

Glenn, do you replace the whole hub assembly or just the bearing itself?

PartsPlus quoted me $258 for the bearing (complete hub assembly), however, Shelley's stock them for $180 so that's not much of a saving is it :lol:

Wow, thats interesting, for most things Parts Plus is usually %20-30 less than shelleys.

My master cylinder was 1/2 the price from parts plus.

If it's the fronts you have to replace the whole hub assembly as the hub is the outer race of the bearing.

If it's the fronts you have to replace the whole hub assembly as the hub is the outer race of the bearing.

I figured as much

Tim, ebay, WTF???

hahahaha, ebay, wot??

definitely worth a go pricing them up at skf then.... if they're just a common bearing then sweet as, sounds as though you have to replace hub?? $258 is cheap then, lol toyota cavalier's cost $3000+ to do that same job and they f**k out all the time!!

yeah ebay.

there's alot of stuff on there. i have seen afew 'new' wheel bearing sets for sale on there. search "bmw e30"

Lewis, from memory, managed to just get the bearing itself and replaced it himself. instead of buying the whole wheel assem.

Replacing the whole hub assembly is necessary if it's worn out because, as Glenn said, the hub itself contains the outer race of the bearing.

My bearing is worn out so am assuming that I have to replace the the whole thing. The bearing in question is only 4 years old but almost failed warrant last time except I just greased it up a little.

SKF bearings part number VKBA890 $144.16 +gst each. that comes to a total of $324 for a set of 2.

Thank you

SKF bearings part number VKBA890 $144.16 +gst each. that comes to a total of $324 for a set of 2.

Thank you

Okay, so I did the finger walking and rang SKF, they said the price on that part number was $220!!!

I then did some quick talking and said I was quoted $144.16 and they sold me it for that...excluding the gst, bargain!!! :lol:

I just hope it's the right bearing because she said there's two different front wheel bearing part numbers for E30s...

Thank you

Okay, so I did the finger walking and rang SKF, they said the price on that part number was $220!!!

I then did some quick talking and said I was quoted $144.16 and they sold me it for that...excluding the gst, bargain!!! :lol:

I just hope it's the right bearing because she said there's two different front wheel bearing part numbers for E30s...

hah, shoulda said you were quoted a hundy.... I know that they can run a 60% plus discount structure....