Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

Drift trikes -

Love how they compare it to the boy racer problem.

I'd rather idiots(not saying all trike riders are idiots) riding little trikes then driving cars.

I have been bombing hills on a skateboard since I was about 9 years old. How is this so much different?

Because they are "drifting".. Good god. Harden the hell up NZ.

Nothing new, isn't there some longboarders bombing down the motorway at Bombay Hills couple months back?

That looked like harmless fun. As for speeding I hardly think that guys on their road bikes would be staying under the speed limit either. And they fill the road up driving three or more across. We just need to leave people to do as they please and take responiblitiy for themselves. And have some Fun!! :D

man..... it seems growing up in the 80's was alot simpler.

Crash your skateboard into a car? off to hospital for you.

Blow you hand off with fireworks? your new nick-name is now lefty.

Bring back personal accountability I say, if we don't stand up against the yellow vest brigade we will suffer the same fate as the nanny-state UK!

I reckon they should a applauded for building something different and original. It looks fun! at at least they are not breaking any real laws.

Edited by M5V8

I have been bombing hills on a skateboard since I was about 9 years old. How is this so much different?

Because they are "drifting".. Good god. Harden the hell up NZ.

This. Only we just called it skating down a hill. Have a couple of scars but it was worth it!

Edited by Apex

man..... it seems growing up in the 80's was alot simpler.

Crash your skateboard into a car? off to hospital for you.

Blow you hand off with fireworks? your new nick-name is now lefty.

Bring back personal accountability I say, if we don't stand up against the yellow vest brigade we will suffer the same fate as the nanny-state UK!

I reckon they should a applauded for building something different and original. It looks fun! at at least they are not breaking any real laws.

Exactly.

I'd love to have a go but at 42 i know when it turns to sh*t it's gonna f-ing hurt lol.

Totally, I also have many scars from it but I still love it. I've narrowly missed hitting cars many a time but never have I been reported on in the news.

Is it because they are on "drift trikes"? Silly media.

In my day way way back in the early 70s , we use to build trollies and race then down the street .

4 lawnmower wheels

1 beer crate

2 axles

1 x 2x6 4foot long

and a bit of rope to steer with , bestis fun i ever had.

I was 6or 7 or 8 , some thing like that .

man..... it seems growing up in the 80's was alot more fun.

Fixed that for ya.

This is so true, part of the bullshit I tried to escape from by moving to NZ.

pretty sure i know the guy at the front haha!

Talk about good advertising, every 15 year old kid is going to want one of these. Think that's why they started whining about it AFTER xmas? ;)

Would really like to have a go on one... not for $500 though.

What annoys me about this, is well, a few things:

A. I take my slick-tires equipped madcore jump bike (and used to borrow my brothers very nice road bike, fast) and Loaded Dervish longboard down the same hills, and in full tuck mode can only reach 90 on the bike.. no where near that on the board before I drop the slide glove and bust a mad coleman slide. And I don't even have to cross the center line.

B. When the 'drift-trikers' from Auckland were on closeup a couple of night ago, they explained that they were the sun that shines out of jesus' arse, and that the 'reckless, irresponsible' guys from Christchurch were doing it wrong. The Auckland angels had a spotter car in front and behind them, never went at night, only did it during non-peak traffic times, and never crossed the center line...

BULLLLLLLL S.H.I.T.

C. The media seems to be on another witch hunt, looking to ban something else. Yeah sure if you ran over some guy on a drift trike or longboard you might be quite distraught, but in my quite long term experience of bombing hills on all sorts of things I can't recall a single incident where someone has hit a car. The thrill is not seeing how many bits you can smash your skull into when it hits the grill of a X5, but more identifying proximity to vehicles and other obstacles, adjusting for that, and making the closest pass possible. These are skills you learn from doing similar activities in a more controlled enviroment, say like carting, Downhill Mountain biking, wingsuit base jumping etc. Now that this 'sport' has been brought into the spotlight, we WILL see more people take it up, people who are looking for a general kind of thrill. These people are the type to head to the top of an unknown road and to just see how it turns out on the way down. Don't worry about checking the road, having a car in front, or safety gear. LETS BOMB IT BRO THEN HAVE ANOTHER WOODY.

Jesus I love your work Henry. Down with the PC c**p, should be more worried about catching real criminals.

These would be badass on the advanced track at the rotorua luge, drift battles FTW

Edited by braeden.