Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Cost v Benefit tipping point

Can’t see a new BMW buyer swapping his own battery TBH.

In 90% of new cars its just a same old swap over like the old days.

I honestly think that the reason BMW put in all these 'recode' crap for all the mundane stuff is just so the owners (and future owners) have no choice but to take the cars back to an authorised dealership - simple as that.

In reality, and those well versed in NCS Expert will know that you can actually turn off virtually every checks and registration functions in the cars and have it almost as analogue as an E30.

I will stop buying BMWs the day that a bulb change will require a recode (oh wait, don't they do that already on the new 7 series??) - that's going way too far in my opinion. A battery registration is already hard to swallow (although sometimes understandable on the newer models due to their complex electronics requiring a certain level of battery power).

I do feel that at a point protectionism will go too far for car manufacturers.

Off topic - the 1 series M coupe uses the Z4 35is motor (exactly the same). It's the first "M" series car that use a production engine rather than a hand built motor exclusively found in a M. So realistically it's not really a M car as some would argue. Ironically it carries a lot of E9X M3 suspension and diff components. So basically a hybrid parts bin special.

Oh and if you think high cost of maintenance is an European car exclusivity, go look at the cost of running a R35 GTR. I've got a friend that owns one and he says it costs him about $7000 each time he takes it to the track just on servicing (as you have to service the car including the ridiculously expensive gearbox oil after each track day) - makes maintaining a BMW look like pocket change in comparison.

Edited by M3_Power

Hence why it's not named an M1.

I've never coded an F01 for replacing a bulb?

Hence why it's not named an M1.

I've never coded an F01 for replacing a bulb?

Yeah I was just being sarcastic about the bulb change on the F01 :P

Come on Tom, the sarcastic font is there for a reason :lol:

Come on Tom, the sarcastic font is there for a reason :lol:

My bad .. haha ... but you never know, it might be in the next software update Greg (I am sure a BMW engineer has already thought about putting it in there)!!

My bad .. haha ... but you never know, it might be in the next software update Greg (I am sure a BMW engineer has already thought about putting it in there)!!

I do believe if the HID does fault then a new headlight will be required which will then need to be coded to the vehicle haha, so your half right.

Oh and if you think high cost of maintenance is an European car exclusivity, go look at the cost of running a R35 GTR. I've got a friend that owns one and he says it costs him about $7000 each time he takes it to the track just on servicing (as you have to service the car including the ridiculously expensive gearbox oil after each track day) - makes maintaining a BMW look like pocket change in comparison.

I have had GTR owners state the same thing, a couple that were on Targa had gone to the GTR from a long line of Porsche 911 Turbo’s and apparently the GTR costs three times as much to maintain <_<

They didn’t have to have a 7k service after every trackday but did comment it is about $1,000 in maintenance per 1,000km, carbon brake disks were the real killer at over $20,000.

I do believe if the HID does fault then a new headlight will be required which will then need to be coded to the vehicle haha, so your half right.

Right, that's it .... {storms off to sell me BMW} :angry:

I have had GTR owners state the same thing, a couple that were on Targa had gone to the GTR from a long line of Porsche 911 Turbo’s and apparently the GTR costs three times as much to maintain <_<

They didn’t have to have a 7k service after every trackday but did comment it is about $1,000 in maintenance per 1,000km, carbon brake disks were the real killer at over $20,000.

I had a long chat with my friend about this and according to him the $7000 was just a general service with the gearbox oil (which is apparently about $4500 just for the oil) and which you have to have done about every 5000km. If he counted the full costs he said it was about $12,000 just for a track day (which included all brake rotors, pads - the standard car don't have carbon ceramics).

Even worse if you blow the gearbox apparently.

Honestly I can only think of Ferraris costing more to maintain.

But yes, buy a Porsche if you want a track car that's just as fast and no where near as expensive to maintain.

Seat, floor, road, that's all yours is Tom, plus the best intake noise in the world. You don't have anything to worry about.

Why would you ever buy a car that costs that much to run? I imagine most don't leave their garages much?

Cost v Benefit tipping point??

This applies to marriage as well as cars!

The mathematics on the Paul McCartney-Heather Mills divorce is as follows:

After 5 years of marriage, he paid her $49 million. Assuming he got sex every night during their 5 year relationship (which would NOT have happened!) it ended up costing him $26,849 per time.

On the other hand, Elliot Spitzer’s call girl, Kristen, an absolute stunner with a body like no other, charges $4,000 an hour. For anything!

Had Paul McCartney ‘employed’ Kristen for 5 years, he would’ve paid $7.3 million for an hour of sex every night for 5 years (a saving of $41.7 million).

Value-added benefits are: a 22 year old hot babe, no begging, no coaxing, never a headache, plays all requests, ability to put BOTH legs around you (!!!), no bitching and complaining or ‘to do’ lists. Best of all, she leaves when you’re done, and comes back when you ask her. All at 1/7th the cost, with no legal fees.

Sometimes leasing/renting makes far more sense.

Edited by kerrynzl

Cost v Benefit tipping point??

This applies to marriage as well as cars!

The mathematics on the Paul McCartney-Heather Mills divorce is as follows:

After 5 years of marriage, he paid her $49 million. Assuming he got sex every night during their 5 year relationship (which would NOT have happened!) it ended up costing him $26,849 per time.

On the other hand, Elliot Spitzer’s call girl, Kristen, an absolute stunner with a body like no other, charges $4,000 an hour. For anything!

Had Paul McCartney ‘employed’ Kristen for 5 years, he would’ve paid $7.3 million for an hour of sex every night for 5 years (a saving of $41.7 million).

Value-added benefits are: a 22 year old hot babe, no begging, no coaxing, never a headache, plays all requests, ability to put BOTH legs around you (!!!), no bitching and complaining or ‘to do’ lists. Best of all, she leaves when you’re done, and comes back when you ask her. All at 1/7th the cost, with no legal fees.

Sometimes leasing/renting makes far more sense.

Yes, it makes more sense, but in McCartney's mind (and new BMW owners minds) - it doesn't matter. He still has piles of money and he doesn't care.

You have to realise that when you buy a new BMW - you are thinking it takes ALL the money you have in the world.

In reality, for most buyers, this is just a fraction of their wealth - and losing money on it - so what. They build losing the money on it into their next tax return. Seriously.

BTW, I push one button on my steering wheel and all the electric gizmos piss off and I can drive the nuts off it - but on a soggy wet day, turn them back on so I don't wrap it into a roundabout. Simple.

Yes, it makes more sense, but in McCartney's mind (and new BMW owners minds) - it doesn't matter. He still has piles of money and he doesn't care.

Yeah, but if McCartney hired the services of a call girl in New Zealand [ where prostitution is legal ] would the consumer gaurantees act apply?

Hmmmmmmmmm! Would the customer still come first?

If a customer raped a prositute would he be prosecuted for rape or shoplifting?

Yeah, but if McCartney hired the services of a call girl in New Zealand [ where prostitution is legal ] would the consumer gaurantees act apply?

Hmmmmmmmmm! Would the customer still come first?

WTF?

WTF?

It is quite simple to explain:

from Wikipedia: WIT

"Wit is a form of intellectual humour, and a wit is someone skilled in making witty remarks. Forms of wit include the quip and repartee."

Do not confuse this with being a "f**kwit"

I understood it was rape if you didn't pay and shoplifting if you used monopoly money... or did I get it wrong Kerry ?

It is quite simple to explain:

from Wikipedia: WIT

"Wit is a form of intellectual humour, and a wit is someone skilled in making witty remarks. Forms of wit include the quip and repartee."

Do not confuse this with being a "f**kwit"

I'd never heard of WIT before - cool, another thing learnt today!