Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Transmission Error, any ideas?

Background:

Brought the car like it because it came with some goodies which i have removed. None of these parts are electrical, or in fact in the interior/engine bay of the car at all, its all exterior bits. Would like to get the car going so i can sell it, other wise off to the scrap yar i guess

Car in question is:

199_ BMW 525i

November 1990 build date

M50B25

5HP18

Snow/Econo/Sport

Jap import (definatley not a Jatco)

VIN: BJ38495

Transmission computer part number: is either 0 260 002 163 or 1 218 919. one will be the case one will be the software.

Simptoms:

Old owner tells me the car was fine one minute and then transmission died never to go properly again, which leads me to think its an electrical issue. When it stopped going, the car was parked up and not touched again. this is what happens in each position on the shifter:

P = Park

R = Reverse

N = Neutral

D = N

4 = N

3 = N

2 = Reverse sometimes, Neutral sometimes

Different settings like snow/econo/sport dont make a difference. D very rarely makes the car go forward if you really give it a good rev, but its not in limp home mode, revs wayyyy too high for that.

what ive done so far:

1/ researched

2/ changed transmission oil, i think it was over filled to start with.

3/ borrowed and replaced transmission computer (was inside the drivers side kick panel if anyones interested), made no difference.

4/ ran out of ideas

now im stuck. anyone have any suggestions? dont have my scanner anymore, was stolen wtf eh :/

thanks allfor the help :)

Sounds like

Blown master drum/piston and or seals.

Hydrylic pressure is being lost as the symptoms with reverse issue.

If it turns out to be that .. its gearbox replacement time or you need to have it rebuilt because the metal gets all through the gearbox. This includes replacing the clutch packs / fluid and a seal rebuild kit.

Ive had a gearbox do this on me and getting it reconned was a rip off. I could of spent another 1000 and got a new one from BMW! as I found out.

Better to just get a second hand one.

However, all of this is just diag through the internet, atleast take it to a auto gearbox professional for an opinion.

sweet well i dont want to invest that sort of money in a car im only going to sell. so you dont think there are any more basic/cheap stuff i can try first?

Id imagine wrecker slushbox's would be dirt cheap....