Sign in to follow this  
briancol

My whinge about the Show'n'Shine/BBQ.

Let me first say that Monday's event was a resounding sucess.

However I do have a whinge.

I do enjoy organising these events for the members here, but for god's sake are all of you still living at home, being bottle fed and mummy does everything for you?

Does mummy still cook all your meals, wipe your chin then do the dishes after you?

I am now retired and have a chronic case of emphysima, and frankly I'm incapable of doing the things I used to do a couple of years ago.

One person only offered to help out at Botany Junction (thank you Ashkan), nobody stayed to check that the area was clean afterwards.

At the BBQ nearly all of those there just sat on their arses and watched as just the oldies did all the heavy lifting, cooking and cleaning.

The majoriy of the members here are in their teens or twenties and should be full of energy, fit and strong.

So next time we organise an event, don't be shy in coming forward to assist. We are NOT your servants.

Ask not what Bimmersport can do for you.

Ask what can you do for Bimmersport.

Sorry JFK.

Keen to help out next time, so if you need any help with anything just ask. and my dad fires up the best BBQ's so if that even....

Cheers.

Heino.

With all do respect, when you organise something you are normally left with the clean up. Thats the way it is. You did get the much deserved recognition and respect for doing do, we are all grateful.

If you would like a hand organizing/running the next event I am more than happy to help out, if you clearly delegate what needs to be done in a positive way it normally happens.

Was a pleasure to help where I could Brian and I have some great idea’s for next year.

i put my hand up for being parked on my arse at the beach

but i came unprepared so had to leave after sitting for a while.

I did feel somewhat useful for a change.

I thought everyone did quite well to be honest.

My 2c even tho' i wasn't there lol.

Fair call Brian.

However I don't think they're lazy as such, more a case of some members just didn't think 'bout it.

Having twin 18 yr old boys i can vouch for the fact that sometimes i stand there thinking 'WTF, why didn't you do .........', but it honestly didn't even enter their head.

Yea sorry Brian, didn't even cross my mind. Although you "maturely aged" guys blame our brain development for speed and crashes so can we add this into that category =)

Happy to help next time =)

The pleasure was all myn, and i enjoyed it thanks again Brian

My 2c even tho' i wasn't there lol.

Fair call Brian.

However I don't think they're lazy as such, more a case of some members just didn't think 'bout it.

Having twin 18 yr old boys i can vouch for the fact that sometimes i stand there thinking 'WTF, why didn't you do .........', but it honestly didn't even enter their head.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here

I can respect the effort you put into putting together the meet Brian and the 29 threads about it was most impressive.

From what I saw in the pictures looked to be a really successful gathering of the like-minded individuals in the BMW community.

Of course you have a right to make a winge about things but I think when you organise a meet you are always going to be ultimately responsible for everything and yes the fact you will probably get stuck with the cooking and the clean up. fair or not.

Why not just weigh up the pros against the cons of the event which from what I can tell the pros far outweighed the cons tenfold and be happy with how well the meet went, rather than make a public rant about no one helping out. Its just a fact that if you want to put on a BBQ you got to be aware 9 times out of 10 you will probably be stuck doing it. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan I think your atitiude towards this is a bit on the nose. You had a point until you "29 threads about it" as there wasn't so you are having a dig.

A little appreciation and being considerate will go along way with people of coarse you don't have to help, but just helping and not having to be asked to help all the time goes down well. I very seldom visit someones house without helping them clean up the shed, help lift something, hold the gate why they fix it etc, guess I can't just sit down.

It goes for any situation.. You turn up to someones house and they just started doing the dishes after dinner. You dont sit down you pick up a t towel and start drying. More hands make light work.

Have you thought of holding the next one in Wellington. With enough notice we can organise a group rate on the ferry over.

Ryan, I don't know why you have such a bee in your bonnet, you have done nothing but criticise this event from the begining.

QUOTE (RJS @ Jan 31 2011, 09:15 AM)

Im not comming due to the fact this is the most confusing meet ever.

Why don't YOU organise an event ahd show us all how it's done, or are you too busy criticising every one elses efforts. :rolleyes:

BTW Adam, book the ferry now for next year.

An announcement will be made soon about next years event but I can say it will be over the last two weekends in Janurary and it will be huge.

Edited by C0SM0S

The problem we have these days is the age group difference Brian. We might understand it, but they may not. Younger people have not been taught the lifeskills and manners that we and our parents were taught. This is a deterioration within the education system and family comunication... no one talks anymore and there is total lack of discipline & self discipline within society these days.... just 2cents from an old farts perspective

Couldn't agree more.

Can't blame us though. While you may have a point, it's based on our upbringing.

Edit:

And also that's a generalisation.

Edited by Tristan

LOL thread.

Peter can hold, while the rest of of young ones repaint the 5.

young people don't need to talk and communicate anymore just become a friend on their facebook page and walla you know everything.

To be honest, although i wasnt there, i can almost guarantee that some of those "young people" who "didnt think to help" may have thought of it, but felt a little intimidated by the "grumpy oldies", or simply felt that there help was not required. I'm happy to help when asked, always, but I feel very uncomfortable, almost as though I'm doing wrong, if I'm giving a hand where I'm not sure if it's needed or not.

What a dead thread. Times have changed. Deal with it, and get over it.

I'm in the older side of the general population (but not so old I fall into the grumpy old man population), and with everything I do, if I plan and organise it, I expect to either do the lion's share of the work, or I actively ask for assistance (and not expect it to be offered automatically).

I normally find if I ask people to help, and assign specific tasks, people are more than willing to help and do what they are asked.

The problem we have these days is the age group difference Brian. We might understand it, but they may not. Younger people have not been taught the lifeskills and manners that we and our parents were taught. This is a deterioration within the education system and family comunication... no one talks anymore and there is total lack of discipline & self discipline within society these days.... just 2cents from an old farts perspective

Did you get that out of a dictionary Glenn? Perfect. When I was a kid if I didn't do as I was told it was a kick up the ass, consequences for your actions, we were made to do the dishes, clean-up and not to dump things at our ass. I'm only 29 but I've seen a vast difference between my age and people only 10 years younger than me.

I agree with what Huff3r said, about feeling intimidated by the older guys. Obviously, if you want a hand and ask for it I'd be more than happy to help. But being relatively new to the community, along with being one of the younger members, seeing all you older guys with experience and what-not having your chats between you, I don't want to interupt.

:unsure: