Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Do BMW owners get less respect on the road?

Well, do they?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just an interesting observation I've made in the last week of owning the car. No one lets me into traffic, No one gives way, everyone seems to want to race me and older drivers (I'm 24) give me silly looks. I mean, there's a lot of tall poppy syndrome out there, but I'm in an E36 320, a good Honda costs about the same... Who's been keyed, cut off, blocked in, tooted at and abused out there?

pfft, bmws are common as now, not many see them as "status symbols" anymore, Every time I've been in one I dont see that happening......

gonna cut you off if I see ya :P

force respect with a seven

or else just ignore wankers

I won't let SUVs in when I'm driving because I'm a prick. Proper offroaders with real mud on them are fine.

The problem is Nate, Everyone in New Zealand who drives is a wanker and has rules they follow like I do (see above)

They're just a bunch of wankers.. just jealous. My advice is to ignore them.. or rub it in their faces.

Onto the third BMW in the family now, and still get sh*t for it. I have even lost my best mate, because i was sick of his and his dad's jealousy.. so sick of him coming to my house and looking at the E30 and saying "Oh its just a pile of sh*t" In front of me.I should have smashed him one right there and then.

Then i found out a month later from my other mate that went with them to a car looking for a BMW - but got a Nissan Cefiro Wagon instead. They got what they deserved. :lol:

But anyway BMW drivers get less respect because of the fact they own a BMW.

CaM - The market is getting flooded by E36's from Japan. Thats why there appears to be sooo many around.

i dont think people give people less respect when drving a bimmer , i think its when older people see a young person drive one they assume ur arrogant and all that stuff that u get called for being a bmw driver

so sick of him coming to my house and looking at the E30 and saying "Oh its just a pile of sh*t" In front of me.I should have smashed him one right there and then.

clearly he wasnt a very good friend to begin with if thats what he says about your family car

My advice is to ignore them.. or rub it in their faces.

Yeah, I kind of did that to a shitbox Corolla driven by some dork with his hat on backwards -

At a set of lights on Willis he pulled up and started giving his 4AGE a hefty revving so I looked across at him flashed him a wad of twenties (my tennant pays his rent in cash, I had it in my pocket) and gave him the signal that he could go first cause I didn't give a toss.

The truth is I'm flate broke and mines a Jap import that I paid next to nothing for :blush:

The truth is I'm flate broke and mines a Jap import that I paid next to nothing for :blush:

That really doesn't matter aye, its still a BMW. Regardless of the fact whether or not its a Japanese import.

And Ryan..... He was a great mate.. best one i ever had.. but he was always very materialistic.. and used to always ring me up if he got something new. Funny his name is Ryan as well <_< jks

Corolla driven by some dork with his hat on backwards -

At a set of lights on Willis he pulled up and started giving his 4AGE a hefty revving so I looked across at him flashed him a wad of twenties (my tennant pays his rent in cash, I had it in my pocket) and gave him the signal that he could go first cause I didn't give a toss.

haha great comback to that guy

yeah i deffinatly think people dont really see bimmers as a status symbol (except for brand new/newish ones) so much anymore cos there is a lot around and are a lot more common than they wer say 10 years ago

I won't let SUVs in when I'm driving because I'm a prick. Proper offroaders with real mud on them are fine.

baha nice man, i hate em to. waste of money. love the pigjeros rofl :rolleyes: :thumbsdown:

My advice is to ignore them.. or rub it in their faces.

Yeah, I kind of did that to a shitbox Corolla driven by some dork with his hat on backwards -

At the same time, I get people giving me props about the car.. haven't had too many issues with people, apart from the odd boy racer trying to race.. but I normally give a few revs, then take off at a crawling pace.

Nate.. What colour is your E36? 2 or 4 door? Im frequently driving between Aro down Willis to work etc.

Oh, and almost forgot.. I had my car 'tagged' on two years ago at the back of our apartment down Willis St. Stink thing was, my car was probably one of the cheapest in the carpark! Actually, there was mine and an E36 and a XR6 that was vandalised.

Edited by Deftones

I don't get grief from anyone,

Just the occasional Thumbs up from old dudes!!

:lol:

Maybe its the Luxorbeige?

Luxorbeige pimps all.

:pimp:

I would have to say there is still something in NZ against people in nice cars.

Cant say that its just BMW's but I certainly get treated differently if Im in the GTb rather than the 7.

The tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

Does give them a shock though when I stick it into manual and turn off the ASC.....cause in truth there is still a little boy racer in all of us ^_^

Luxorbeige pimps all.

even more than Platanengrun?!

i think it doesnt really matter what you drive people are always going to cut you off and be rude to you on the road, but some get it more than others which might be because of the car they drive, just gotta ignore it really

Nate.. What colour is your E36?  2 or 4 door? Im frequently driving between Aro down Willis to work etc.

Muricias (hows it spelt?) blue, 4 door. I live in J'ville and the beemer's only been up there a couple of times. You may be familiar with my other car, the infamous Q1KTOY - the beat up silver gray AW11 with the shitty exhaust note.

That was my thrash car, If I were in it I probably would (actually I definitley would) have given the rolla a race, I love that piece of road.

Edited by Nate

BMWs arent anything special now. An E34 is the same price as an VN Calais or EB Fairmont. Same thing with the E32s, E38s and E39s with the Fords or Holdens. We are f**king lucky in this country as far as that goes, and people are realising how cheap BMWs are, epecially since there are a sh*t load of posers in E36s, mostly blonde women, worse than the stereotypical SUV driver imo.

At school I've been called a fag and a homo while in my car, but I told them to f**k off. If I was in a Corolla I wouldn't have got a second look.

Some cheeky bastard also kicked the soul of his school shoes down the back quarter panel leaving a black mark and small dent. Lucky I didn't catch him.

And I have discovered small scratches, but not sure if it vandalism or my cat, cos he climbs over the car too hah.

But I always get let in at traffic, kiwi drivers are quite good at that imo.

BMWs arent anything special now. An E34 is the same price as an VN Calais or EB Fairmont. Same thing with the E32s, E38s and E39s with the Fords or Holdens.

Ok and your comparing BMW's with taxi's ?

Yeah, showing how accesible they are now, just another common brand, unlike 5+ years ago, where they were actually, I dunno, a status symbol?

BTW, there a quite a few BMW taxis in Wgtn, including an E30!

Go to Europe and see what they use as taxis ;)

I agree.

I can see where you're coming from E30_318i, but in terms of what the car is, BMW is a whole different level. Holdens and Fords are your common people carrier. BMW's are Ultimate Driving Machines.

And to think those dickheads hate your car at school? Jealousy. Only one word for it.

At school I've been called a fag and a homo while in my car, but I told them to f**k off. If I was in a Corolla I wouldn't have got a second look.

Some cheeky bastard also kicked the soul of his school shoes down the back quarter panel leaving a black mark and small dent. Lucky I didn't catch him.

that sorta sh*t used to happen to me... 16 year old with a series 4 gt-r rx7......

back then they were still f**kin expensive, everyone wanted one

hah, the virtues of school "children".....

go the red leather I say.... pimps more than tommy's luxorbeige :o:P :bowdown: :mosh: :thumb: :jap: :ph34r:

I think most people think that fives and sevens are expensive as....The guys at work cant beleive that my car is a) 15 years old B) and b)costs less than a holden commodore......

I think most people would still perceive e 39s and e 38s as EXPENSIVE

I dont think i get less respect on the road than any other car,and i think i let in my fair share of side road traffic and i leave plenty of room for lane changers. and ly move over if someone is behid me in the fast lane(where i ussually am ;) ).....,i do however flash 103 km hr mway fast lane hogs

Edited by kiwi535

I definitely found a big increase in the disrespectful driver attitudes around me as soon as I bought my bimmer. I would generally attribute it to jealousy, as it seems to be mainly sh!tbox cars that fail to give way, cut me off, "accidentally" not see you trying to change lanes etc etc.

My work mates give me grief for owning a BMW too... but hey it comes with the territory. Most of them knew I was a wanker before I bought the car. JK. :D

Luxorbeige+Brown leather+Mtech 1 wheel= 80's FUNK :pimp:

And may the funk neva end....

Red leather on Hughs JPS 6 is som epic!

I agree.

I can see where you're coming from E30_318i, but in terms of what the car is, BMW is a whole different level. Holdens and Fords are your common people carrier. BMW's are Ultimate Driving Machines.

True, but most people don't look at it like that way. They just think 'BMW, ohhhh', not knowing a f**king thing about them, only that they are/were considered exotic or higher class etc, while hepling to flood the roads with them, making them as common as Holdens or Fords. Go and flick thru an Autotrader and see how many E36s are in there :banghead:

Its a different story in Aussie tho, check out used Euro car prices over there. Gutted for them.

i do however flash 103 km hr mway fast lane hogs

I toot, doing no favours for the stereotype :ph34r: