Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Do BMW owners get less respect on the road?

Well, do they?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BTW, there a quite a few BMW taxis in Wgtn, including an E30!

Go to Europe and see what they use as taxis ;)

In Europe BMW's are worth much much less than they are here. Harldy a true comparison.

Someone mentioned about BMW's still being seen as expensive. I get it all the time at work about how can I afford an e38 and I work in IT !

It cost me about two months wages in England (and honestly it was peanuts), but I can tell you now I dont earn 30 grand (and Im speaking conservatively on that value) in two months over here !

yea BMW in europe is like Holden and Ford is Here.

in relation to the prices of cars overseas in comparason to bmw prices in europe compared to Aussie , yet you see in like singapore a second hand e46 325i would go for $150,000 and can prove it

and even got a S500 taxi with 46km on the clock!!!!

i guess it depends where in the world you are to be treated differently by what car you drive, but NZ is so dominated by japanese cars and when they see someone in a euro they may seem out of reach of those who dont know there true value which makes them treat you as a 'rich prick'

when most the time isnt the case

Edited by bimmer boy

yea BMW in europe is like Holden and Ford is Here.

You mean as in how comon they are? Holdens and Fords are just part of NZ ... everyone wants and has one. But they are so ugly and not cool.. so why bother.. but i spose thats what they say about BMW as well.

I even had to ask Bravomikewhiskey(Graeme) to txt his German freind to ask her if they had Jap cars in Germany.. because i always had this image of BMW, Mercedes, Audi and the rest of the Germans.

They do have Japs BTW.

NO BODY .. lets me in ... you should driving down the motorway with your indercator on for half a minute trying to change into a lane ... I just push in these days ... yes im now forced to be one of those "wanker beemer drivers" ... :(

I don't get treated any differently in my BMW than any other car, however when I'm in the Wrangler people are less likely to let you in to traffic etc.

I actually think that the lack of respect that a lot of BMW drivers feel is a figment of their own imaginations.

Cheers

Grant

I get a bit of that, but i used to have an 85 XJS I got non stop grief in that car

its a coupe that is longer than a commodore station wagon so I always just had to muscle my way into the next lane cos no bastard would ever give way

I just work on the theory that I can afford to hit you, more than you can afford to run into me (not true but it works)

I actually think that the lack of respect that a lot of BMW drivers feel is a figment of their own imaginations.

I disagree with that. When driving down the road I don't expect to be yelled at "faggot", "rich f#$k"... Ths list goes on.

The best one I've had was I was in the 277 car park following the arrows and a woman was coming the wrong way. I drove up to the front of her car and pointed at the arrows politely. She got out and went of her rocker about me being a rich spoilt boy racer. That actually gets me to - oh that your mums new car (mum always has Audi's).

So yeah, I agree BMW drivers to get an unfair level of 'respect'.

As my observations go, it also depends on the area you are in at the time. I've always lived around Remmers, Orakei, St heliers and Kohimarama ( current ) for the past 15 years.

I'm a curtious driver with a bias towards the nice ladies and other BMW drivers. I run through Penrose traffic every work night, and on average let in 3-4 peole in front of me.

I get let in also, but it seems to be mainly the ladies and other BMW drivers, maybe thats where my bias comes into the equation.

The ones that speed up to close a gap are mostly youngins in their riced jappas ( crx's, civics, integras, skylines and that sort of car ). Funny that.

Anyway, I always wave to people whom let me in, smile and stuff like that. What pisses me off is when you let someone in, and they just ignore you and take it like you had to.

Anyway - the area thing, I find in 'my area' it's a 50/50 thing. Funninly enough, almost all other bimmer drivers smile or acknowledge me when eye contact is made. Even funnier is the Merc's drivers seem to be the opposite.

Heh, in the Impreza I get Evos, other Imprezas, etc trying to race me and not let into traffic because they think im a boy racer with a big exhaust. But in the BMW, I dont get anyone racing me(I kick there ass?) and I get let into traffic :blink:

i dont think it is the case tho quite a few of my mates have mercs and when im with them they let people in and are curtious towards other people on the road but yeah they are always more biased to let another merc or bimmer in over a riced up machine

im just not even going to go there.

f'n bimmer drivers.... :finger: :finger:

Quick clarification on my merc comment:

Was implying that they often won't look or smile at one who does from within a beamer.

NOT implying they are not curtious drivers or bad drivers.

B)

I agree with Martyn, covet thy neighbours wife, not his car

I'm a car bigot, can't stand off road vehicles and big SUV's as run-a-bout school run vehicles. Full credit if you actually use them off road but don't expect me to let you in the queue along the Terrace, space hogs <_<

I'm a car bigot, can't stand off road vehicles and big SUV's as run-a-bout school run vehicles. Full credit if you actually use them off road but don't expect me to let you in the queue along the Terrace, space hogs <_<

Oh dont get me started.

I once went on a long rant about 4x4 'mummies' when I took my daughter to kindy. The room went silent and I only had to look into the car park to see why.

Out of say 20 parents we were the only ones who didnt drive a 4x4.....techincally thats not true the wagon is four wheel drive but you know what I mean !

There should be something as part of the WOF check. If they cant find any mud on the 4x4 it gets failed....and I mean real mud not just some dirt rubbed against the wheel or something !

There should be something as part of the WOF check. If they cant find any mud on the 4x4 it gets failed....and I mean real mud not just some dirt rubbed against the wheel or something !

word....

reminds me of a 4wd book i saw once that had an ad in it for "just ad water" spray on mud.... rice!!!!!! hah

can't beat a real 4wd that actually does what it's built for, rav4's and the like should've never been built, you'd get further in ur gtb wagon...

Ummm, agreed on everything 'cept the comment about the RAV 4. They are not the best i agree, but I have taken a friends one places you wouldn't think possible. All it takes is some decent tyres and a bit of driving skill. The big downside really is the lack of a low-ratio transfer box. I was thinking of modifying a RAV with a transfer box and gearbox out of another car and then throwing some lockers in for good measure, but a better vehicle came along.

Don't get me started on SUV's. Can't stand the f**king things, biggest waste of time/space/money ever.

:rambo: SUV

and for good measure

:rambo: Campervan

Actually, i just remembered when we were up in CHCH alot of people let us in lanes etc, and Dad also let alot of other people in. He said that the CHCH drivers are much courtious than the Dunedinites.

I think people have more respect for European cars than ricers.

For the record, a Commodore station wagon is longer than a Nissan Patrol lwb, as is a Chrysler Voyager, Theres only about 10-15cm difference, but the point still stands.

I can tollerate 'SUV drivers' more than parrots who don't know what the f**k they are on about.

I get more repect from Honda drivers than i get from E30 drivers.

When I went to the drags for the 1st time I thought i would get hell, but every1 was sweet...to be honest its the most courteous driving i have seen in Auckland.

but when the car was stock, i was called gay every different way possible when i drove though the city...how could they tell just by my car (jokes).

but yes i think BMW's get less repect, maybe not so much BMW's but young people in BMW's

I can tollerate 'SUV drivers' more than parrots who don't know what the f**k they are on about.

Oh great someone else telling people they cant have an opinion !

For me, length has nothing to do with it :pimp: After all my 740 is probably as long as most of the 4x4's you see on the city streets.

The overriding message that comes across when you ask someone why they drive one of these bohemoths in the city is safety. They feel safe driving something built like a tank because they are up high and out of the way.

That may be nice for them but the poor sod they hit is in alot more trouble than if they were in a 'normal' sized car. Ive seen plenty of near misses this week alone where 4x4's have double parked on the Terrace and its been hell trying to get around them simply because drivers in 'normal' cars cant see passed them.

The parking outside my daughters kindy is embarrasing simply because the machines are so big and the drivers so small that they cant see the kerbs or how close they are to other vehicles.

There is one woman where I work who is so short (and driving a massive pajero) that she cant see when she reverses. She needs someone else to watch her reverse out of the space so she doesnt hit something behind her.

Tell me that isnt a reason for her to not be in one in the first place !