Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Cellphone upgrade!

Hey guys i'm looking at trading up from the 3g to the iphone 4, but wanna know your guys opinions on other decent "smart" phones out there, any network!

Phones:

iPhone will just work. It's not geeky, or the best reception or the best pixel camera, but It just works and is easy to use. You already know this because you have the 3G. iPhone 4 "reception issues" are utter crap, a few internet trolls stumbled across an idea and made a big deal of nothing. It doesn't affect the phone at all. We have tested extensively and found no real difference compared to other brand smart phones.

Android, specifically the Nexus S or Samsung Galaxy S. Hot bit of kit. Really nice hardware. Android OS itself is a bit trickier to use than iPhone OS, but it works as advertised. Think of android as your super geeky phone which you can hack and mess around with if you want to. I like android because I'm a unix geek, but it isn't my primary phone, i just have one for a secondary number and for development testing.

Windows phone 7 is the new kid of the block. I like it but i couldn't use it as my main phone because some of the apps i need aren't out on it (yet). again, check out Samsung or HTC hardware.

Nokia have just drop kicked their crap phones (thank god) and all nextgen smart phones from nokia will be running windows phone 7. Don't buy a nokia, it is a dead end.

Carriers?

Vodafone are sh*t. Really sh*t. Telecom XT has recovered to be the fastest and have the best coverage of any nz provider. 2degrees are fast and have ok coverage, but their pricing is just awesome. I use all 3, and XT is head and shoulders better than the other 2 overall.

Brain dump from years of development in the mobile space.....phew!!

I have a Samsung Galaxy I9000 on order from GEN-I, Looks to be a pretty good phone for what I want it for.

my workmate had a iphone 4 before she sold it for a samsung galaxy

she let me have a play with both phones and my impressions were that iphone was easy to pick up and use for anyone, and while the galaxy was easy to use, you need to be a bit of a geek to really get the most of out it

Edited by Wom

I have a 3GS and am going to wait for iPhone 5 (rumoured for July launch) as well as the Nokia/Win7 phones. Things will get interesting when more phones with Android v3 come out as well.

What do you need to do on your smartphone? Multimedia (video, music, etc...), game or work? Some are better than other in these areas.

I use XT on both my iPad, iPhone as well as tethered my Macbook on it. Awesome on both voice and data, almost as quick as my home broadband.

My Nokia E72 work phone on Vodafone, voice is ok, data not great unless it happens to be in the patchy 3.5G extended coverage area and only then be (barely) catch up with XT.

GarminAsus Nuvifone! Mint phone, kinda all the features of an iPhone at a fraction of the cost, and with a real gps inbuilt, so you can navigate with no data charges :D.

Although txting on a touchscreen is always a pain :(

Interesting about nokia did anyone read the burning platform story they realeased, basicall they admit they have missed the smart phone boat. I have an E63 they can't even do a normal phone that well anymore.

Phones:

Cheers for that explanation...there are just so many different phones out there, that i'm not sure what path too travel down.

I have a 3GS and am going to wait for iPhone 5 (rumoured for July launch) as well as the Nokia/Win7 phones. Things will get interesting when more phones with Android v3 come out as well.

What do you need to do on your smartphone? Multimedia (video, music, etc...), game or work? Some are better than other in these areas.

I use it for pretty much anything!! For apps which i have spent several hundred dollars buying and for e-mail/net and is far less cumbersome then bringing a laptop to bed to check facebook etc.

Cheers for that explanation...there are just so many different phones out there, that i'm not sure what path too travel down.

I use it for pretty much anything!! For apps which i have spent several hundred dollars buying and for e-mail/net and is far less cumbersome then bringing a laptop to bed to check facebook etc.

I'd stick with the iPhone 4 idea - sounds like you have quite a few apps already and it really one of the best all-round smartphones on the market. Just the display alone will blow you away over the 3g display. The iPhone 5 is just rumor - it is so hard to pick with Apple. You could wait and wait and they won't release the product in the timeframe you want, It could go on forever!! Once the iPhone 5 is out, why not wait for the iPhone 6?

Solution: iPhone 4 on XT.

android is a f**king bitch to use once you have had a iphone =D

agreed iPhone all the way .... it just works.

"It Just Works" Good way to put it tbh yes android is better for some people you can use it with windows files and sh*t a lot better but yea the iphone very simple and just does the job.

Andoroid is actually very easy to use and doesn't require half a brain to work it out. If you're a slouch in the top department fair enough.

The stupid thing about iphones is there's no variance, there's just so much more going on in the android space, a lot more choice.

I've played with an iphone4, the SGS, a nexus, and a desire HD and got a feel for what I actually wanted and what I really wanted after playing with them all is solid feeling phone with a slide out qwerty k/b that fits nicely in my hand

I ended up buying a HTC desire Z as it ticked all my boxes.

Within 30 mins of turning it on I had it synced up to my work's exchange, hooked into my vodafone email & gmail, logged into skype, and synced with facebook (love the profile images and status udpates).

Smartphones are awesome, currently loving using my wifi to skype friends in UK/Germany using my phone like a phone.

Edited by pando

A challenger appears!

10yr old Nokia 1100.

It uses 'Talk Time' against your Iphone.

It is super effective.

iv just made the switch from a nokia e73 wannabe smart phone to an iPhone 4, the nokia used to be impossible to use and piss me off endlessly, hence the change. As for the iPhone, it's awesome. Doesn't make things harder than they need to be like some of the other smartphones on the market today. Retina display is pretty impressive too.

I have a HTC Trophy 7 and love it? does everything I want and more.

Very fast phone.

I ended up buying a HTC desire Z as it ticked all my boxes.

Within 30 mins of turning it on I had it synced up to my work's exchange, hooked into my vodafone email & gmail, logged into skype, and synced with facebook (love the profile images and status udpates).

I have a HTC Trophy 7 and love it? does everything I want and more.

Very fast phone.

I've been looking at a HTC 7 Mozart and a HTC 7 Trophy on trademe and like the feature and looks but am still unsure how the windows platform works, can you guys explain if there are apps etc like Android and itunes or is it pretty much a laptop type phone. cheers

I've been looking at a HTC 7 Mozart and a HTC 7 Trophy on trademe and like the feature and looks but am still unsure how the windows platform works, can you guys explain if there are apps etc like Android and itunes or is it pretty much a laptop type phone. cheers

Windows phones use the zune software, mine can sync without wires over WiFi. has a standard build in player which IMO is very good to use.

also, the Mozart isn't avalible through NZ retailers, so I would stick to the trophy for local support reasons.

Oh, and did I mention the autocorect doesn't make everything dirty?

Edited by antil33t

I've got the HTC HD7 which I bought at http://www.einfo.co.nz/

They offer a 1 year warranty - and have the HTC Mozart there if you want it. They have a physical store you can go to in Glenfield, Auckland. I always pick my stuff up from them.

Anyway, the reason I got the Windows phone is for app development (I do iPhone and Android apps already) It does have a marketplace with apps you can get for free and purchase. Things like the Yellow Pages, mPass for AirNZ and quite a few others are there. (Youtube, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter etc etc) WinPh7 is a good OS. There is no poxy start menu as you may have seen before on Windows phones - this GUI has been designed for the mobile phone and works quite well. I am impressed. (Usually I don't really like Microsoft's design)

iPhone4 is still a better overall experience for hardware and software - but Windows Phone 7 gets my vote for position 2 - with any Android phone 3rd. (yes, I have 5 phones - iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, HTC HD7, Google Nexus and a HTC Hero)

iPhone4 is still a better overall experience for hardware and software - but Windows Phone 7 gets my vote for position 2 - with any Android phone 3rd. (yes, I have 5 phones - iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, HTC HD7, Google Nexus and a HTC Hero)

So I guess the iPhone 4 is your day to day, "most-used" phone?

With Nokia going to WM7 for their high-end stuff, is there any point in Symbian OS from now? Is Symbian going to stay with the mid-range stuff (5000 series, etc...) or getting phrased out completely over the next product cycle or two.

So I guess the iPhone 4 is your day to day, "most-used" phone?

With Nokia going to WM7 for their high-end stuff, is there any point in Symbian OS from now? Is Symbian going to stay with the mid-range stuff (5000 series, etc...) or getting phrased out completely over the next product cycle or two.

Actually, my 3GS is the most used phone!!

Symbian is dead. All Nokia smartphones are going WP7 - not just the high end. They will keep selling those dinky little push button phone thingies from the 1990s (I remember when the Nokia 6110 was the machine - thrashed it to death) those will be for those who "just want to make a call". Fair enough.

The latest Symbian SDK update seems to have new widgets which look a bit like WP7 widgets - they are slowly migrating the poor symbian developers over. The Nokia to WP7 transition will take 2 years according to their info. Don't buy a nokia now. Just get a HTC.

Anyway, it is a 3 way phone OS race now (especially for developers). iOS, Android or WP7.

I had a go with a windows 7 LG phone ... very nice to use however a little bit too simple for my liking .. Im still a sucker for graphics.

Samsung have announced the Galaxy S2 which is the first of the next gen phones .. to rivel iphone5.

The thing I like about the galaxy over iphone (im not a fan boy of any of them btw) is that it has a microSD slot .. so I can save a little bit of coin and just get the 16GB model and if I use it up I can spend some coin and get more 'disk space' by buying a card.

Iphone has some pretty cool apps however lots of developers are switching to andriod as its a open standard.

I had a go with a windows 7 LG phone ... very nice to use however a little bit too simple for my liking .. Im still a sucker for graphics.

Samsung have announced the Galaxy S2 which is the first of the next gen phones .. to rivel iphone5.

The thing I like about the galaxy over iphone (im not a fan boy of any of them btw) is that it has a microSD slot .. so I can save a little bit of coin and just get the 16GB model and if I use it up I can spend some coin and get more 'disk space' by buying a card.

Iphone has some pretty cool apps however lots of developers are switching to andriod as its a open standard.

A few developers - maybe not lots. Take it from me, Android is a *bitch* to code compared to iOS and WP7 - seriously, it is nasty. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but you will find innovative apps on iPhone and WP7 before Android.

Google showed how open they really are this week by DELETING apps installed on user phones - who is the new big brother? Google. (Sure, they were bad apps - but still)

The Galaxy is some nice kit - and the SD card option is a goodie. Which LG did you get?

Grab the assassins creed demo for WP7 on the game marketplace, graphics are bloody brilliant for a cellphone.