Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

Bolt Jammed in place

Hey Guys,

Over the last couple days my gearbox has been in the process of been removed, we are 95% there with only 1 bolt still attaching the gearbox to the engine. The Inverse Torx Sockets i used for the bolt were either too big or to small :P and after many failed attemps the head of the nut has completly worn down beyond recognition. The bolt is slightly above the slave cyl which has been removed for easy access. Still though, i cant get a file, vice grips, or any sort of device into there (apart from a socket). Does anyone has any suggestions on how to remove it? It has a tonne of crc on it and still wont budge, the gearbox is also back in its original place with the help of some jacks, so there is no real strain on it. Any help on this one would be much appreciated :D

Cheers

Mitch

use a grinder and cut the bolt head off, dont be shy. had it happen to me when not using the correct torx sockets. but this was with the engine/gearbox out of the car. good luck

post-4454-1298880288.jpg

As above Use a grinder (if you can access) otherwise a die grinder or gas to remove the head

If you got the room try welding a socket to the bolt

If you dont have the room to use a grinder, gas, or die grinder, put some extra bolts in the gearbox and remove the whole engine with the gearbox. It's not that much work.

did suggest this. i think it took me about an hour or so from having the car driveable to engine and gearbox on the floor, including trying to remove it witha forklift lol. could be an option mitch if you have acess to a hoist. As long as your car is gone from my drive at some point lol

lift the engine off its mounts and move it forward/side ways etc .

should give you enough room to get a grinder in there.

did suggest this. i think it took me about an hour or so from having the car driveable to engine and gearbox on the floor, including trying to remove it witha forklift lol. could be an option mitch if you have acess to a hoist. As long as your car is gone from my drive at some point lol

Yeah I had an m20 + auto out in under an hour with a hoist, its relatively easy tbh and hoists are cheap to rent.

Yeah I had an m20 + auto out in under an hour with a hoist, its relatively easy tbh and hoists are cheap to rent.

Cheers guys, since there is only one bolt holding it in which looks like to be an Inverse Torx - size 13. I will buy a set of sockets and get it out for good. Otherwise i will look at the engine removal option :D

Powerbuilt do a full set of both torx and invers torx for about $60 - $70

Ended up having to get both while pulling apart and reassembling my e30's

How did you go mitch? In the past if a bolt is refusing to move and then gets to rounded for that sized socket I would hammer on a smaller sized socket. Works every time. Note however the hammered socket can be ruined with this process.