Sign in to follow this  
chainsmokincoder

Mirror memory, automatic curb parking function

Hi all,

I found this info from E46Fanatics forum that basically says if automatic curb parking function is :

- INACTIVE = when the mirror selector switch set to driver's side the passenger side and gear selected to reverse then rear view mirror will tilt down to maximum. Moving the selector switch to passenger side will tilt the mirror back up.

- ACTIVE = the other way around ; when selector switch set to passenger side and gear selected to reverse then the mirror will tilt down to a set position. We can adjust the mirror position for reversing here.

So, since my passenger side mirror only tilt down (and to the maximum lowest position) when I move the selector switch to driver's side ( and in reverse gear off course ), then it is save to assume that this function was set to INACTIVE.

So after more searching around the net the only way out is to get it reprogrammed at the dealership. So to Jeff Gray BMW I went. They hooked it up to DIS system, and it was true that this function was at INACTIVE so they re-set it to ACTIVE. However, it didn't seem to do anything. The mirror still tilt down to maximum when gear in reverse and selector switch on DRIVER's side, which in another word means still on INACTIVE.

Anybody knows more about this problem? They said it might have something to do with my key which I only have 1, and I don't feel like spending $$$ for replacement key just to make this function works.

Thank you very much in advance.

The car is : 2003 325iT

On most R/H drives only the L/H mirror tilts in reverse. I dont think you can recode it the other way round. On a L/H drive vehicle the R/H mirror tilts in reverse. I'm pretty sure you can't have both.

On most R/H drives only the L/H mirror tilts in reverse. I dont think you can recode it the other way round. On a L/H drive vehicle the R/H mirror tilts in reverse. I'm pretty sure you can't have both.

I wasn't trying to recode it the other way around nor trying to make both tilt. From my understanding, when the function is inactive then the mirror ( which always the passenger side ) will tilt down to the max, which is useless. And the selector switch is on driver's side + gear on reverse.

When the function is active then the mirror ( passenger side too as always ) will tilt down to a set which we can adjust since the selector switch have to be on passenger side ( instead of drivers' side ) + gear on reverse.

I guess not many people has this problem. By the way, there's a third state which is DEACTIVATE / or something else I cant remember, which totally disable the tilt down function. The mirror will not tilt down at all regardless of which side selected on the selector switch. I think this is for cars without powered seats.

Sorry if there's misunderstanding since English isn't my first language.

Hi all,

I found this info from E46Fanatics forum that basically says if automatic curb parking function is :

- INACTIVE = when the mirror selector switch set to driver's side the passenger side and gear selected to reverse then rear view mirror will tilt down to maximum. Moving the selector switch to passenger side will tilt the mirror back up.

- ACTIVE = the other way around ; when selector switch set to passenger side and gear selected to reverse then the mirror will tilt down to a set position. We can adjust the mirror position for reversing here.

So, since my passenger side mirror only tilt down (and to the maximum lowest position) when I move the selector switch to driver's side ( and in reverse gear off course ), then it is save to assume that this function was set to INACTIVE.

So after more searching around the net the only way out is to get it reprogrammed at the dealership. So to Jeff Gray BMW I went. They hooked it up to DIS system, and it was true that this function was at INACTIVE so they re-set it to ACTIVE. However, it didn't seem to do anything. The mirror still tilt down to maximum when gear in reverse and selector switch on DRIVER's side, which in another word means still on INACTIVE.

Anybody knows more about this problem? They said it might have something to do with my key which I only have 1, and I don't feel like spending $$$ for replacement key just to make this function works.

Thank you very much in advance.

The car is : 2003 325iT

so, what do you want it to do? not tilt? - select switch to pax side.. or adjusting the amount of tilt? there is a procedure for setting this up.. google it...

Edited by Dogballs

Wish mine would tilt. Can you code it to Glenn?

Presumably he wants to adjust the position of the mirror in curb mode. Now I'm curious if I can adjust mine... I never use the feature because the maximum tilt position is pretty useless. Will have a play later tonight.

the 120 does this,its good,can park close to curb without the danger of "ouch" wheels :(

Wish mine would tilt. Can you code it to Glenn?

Same. Can you code a car that does not tilt to tilt when reverse is selected. I understood you probably would need a diff module or something? Or read somewhere something about if you had memory seats it would work?

Here is what they need to do to activate the custom reverse mirror tilt settings:

1. Connect the car to the DIS system.

2. Choose "1. Car Memory"

3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"

4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"

5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)

6. Upload the new settings to the car.

7. Turn the ingnition off and then back on.

8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.

To position the mirror:

1. Push the mirror selector switch to the passenger side.

2. Put the car in reverse. (The mirror should tilt down)

3. Adjust the mirror position to what ever makes you happy.

4. Put the car back into N or 1. (The mirror should tilt back up)

That's it. Now when ever you back up the mirror will adjust to your custom settings, instead of all the way down. Please note that the mirror adjustment selector switch must be set to the passenger side for this to work. This is opposite of the way it works by default.

Here is what they need to do to activate the custom reverse mirror tilt settings:

1. Connect the car to the DIS system.

2. Choose "1. Car Memory"

3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"

4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"

5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)

6. Upload the new settings to the car.

7. Turn the ingnition off and then back on.

8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.

To position the mirror:

That's it. Now when ever you back up the mirror will adjust to your custom settings, instead of all the way down. Please note that the mirror adjustment selector switch must be set to the passenger side for this to work. This is opposite of the way it works by default.

I gave these instructions to Jeff Gray when I went there, they did it, and given a printout that the update was sucessful, however, the car still acted like this function is inactive as I explain on top. So :

To position the mirror:

wont work since the mirror still only tilt down when the selector switch is on DRIVER's side instead of PASSENGER's side.

They said the problem might be in my key since these function is stored on the key? ( anybody can confirm that ?).

I gave these instructions to Jeff Gray when I went there, they did it, and given a printout that the update was sucessful, however, the car still acted like this function is inactive as I explain on top. So :

To position the mirror:

wont work since the mirror still only tilt down when the selector switch is on DRIVER's side instead of PASSENGER's side.

They said the problem might be in my key since these function is stored on the key? ( anybody can confirm that ?).

the memory is not stored "in the key", but the car memorizes the settings for that key.

That makes more sense to me. Do you now anyone that has DIS System other than the dealership dogballs?

Cheers.

sorry I dont, but I'm sure there are a few around..