Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Alternatives to BMW

Hi guys - I been trawling trademe and have come accross a few mercs for sale for similar money to what I would spend on my next bimmer.

Has anyone actually driven any of the 190E (W201 cars I think) series in either standard 2.0, or 2.3 and 2.6 variants?

I don't want this to turn into a merc bashing session, I only want honest comments from those who have driven them, or know anything about them.

I think a properly kitted AMG looks tits, but am worried that the performance will not match the looks.

I looked at these cars when hunting for a bimmer as a possible option, but never found any that I thought were worth a test drive before I came accross my e30. So don't flame me for bringnig this up, I'm just curious.

Any HELPFUL comments greatly appreciated.

Posted Image

i have only ever driven 2 mercs a 190e and a Sclass but i dont think i drove the 190e long enough to give a fair comment about it and dont remeber whether it was a 2L , 2.3 or 2.6. also came extreamly close to buying a '86 300E but didnt obviously which are also cool cars with bigger engines etc which could be a different option if you wanted something a bit more grunty

but mercs are deffinatly cool and would really like one as well as a bimmer

but IMO they seem to have even more expensive repairs needing to be done to them quite often , well not so much repairs just matinence in genral having to replace worn bit and pieces , just like every older car but parts for mercs seem to be less readily avalible. just my 2c

Edited by bimmer boy

Guest Spargo

One word: Cosworth.

Don't bother with anything less than either a Cosworth 2.3-16, or if you can find one, a Cosworth 2.5-16.

They're easily as quick as a 325i, but there is not alot of room for more power.

Don't listen to anyone that says they're M3 competitors, the Evo I and Evo II are the M3 competitors... I've only ever seen one Evo II, and i promptly filled the cup. Thats the 190e in GT4.

Mate of mine has one in black, blacked lights all roud, full dechrome, 18" chromed AMG rims, looks the absolut bollix...

...But like all 190e's if suffers from the worst feeling steering ever, even worse lock to lock than an E30 (I know, I know, how is it possible!?!)

Expect to pay 10K for a mint one.

if i had the cash i'd have matching M-tec II and 2.5-16's, both in black.

i'm sure i posted this aaaaaages ago but my mate had a 190E 2.6 cosworth kit, AMG replicas, leather yada yada sold it now but it was a damn nice car, goes pretty quick but you'd still want the cosworths and they're pretty rare but well worth it ^_^

post-2-1114487940.jpg

Yes, the mercs you could have that would inspire would be the 190e 2.3 (and above) Cosworth, bloody good engine and i've seen one blatting around Manfeild putting out some nice tunes.

Mercs have a tendency to feel "light" and "wofty" although i'm not sure those comments apply to the AMG models. After driving a new model C280 elegance I wasn't too impressed with the drive but the ride comfort was spectacular.

Lowered black mercs are the pimpest rides you can have IMHO, although they're not for me as they're princess killers, aye Ian ;)

Edited by ///Carl

AMG's are badass.

I,ve driven a few 190E's didn't impress to much

Like the E30's dash layout alot better,and 30's also handle

HEAPS better. But the AMG one's will probably be a whole

different car i,m sure. like comparing a 318 with a m325....

I drove a 04' C55 AMG last week and it scared the sh*t out of

me. :drugs:

There are some good things bout working in a Car Yard :lol:

Theres been a few 190E cossies on trademe for under 10 grand lately...

Hopefully some wannabe doesn't pick one up and 'pimp' them, highly unlikely since they are manual anyway.

As for new Mercedes, one word, sh*t. The 126 S class was the last of the best, real ones. 450kw and 1000nm don't mean sh*t when the body containing it looks Korean and the quality is no better than a Suburu.

My Mum had a 190E, and they are PIGS!

I have driven a 500sl and a 320sl and they are ok cruisers, but id never buy a merc. They lack the sporty feel of BMers