Sign in to follow this  
E36ShoppingTrolley

How do i remove tar stains from basketweaves?

Ive tryed bug and tar remover, car wheel cleaner etc and serious elbowgrease but cant get really bad tar stains off. any techniques/products out there to get them off?

Are you sure they are tar stain? I've got some black spots on my wheels (not basketweave though) which I think is caked on brake dust.

I've tried clay bar which works but too expensive to clay bar a wheel let alone the whole set. (those clay ain't cheap you know)

Maybe cheaper to acid strip refurb?

if its just baked on brake dust i used mothers wheel cleaner. its spray on wait for a few mins then hose off... but i did need to scrub some off with a cloth came out nice.

If you leave brake dust on for too long it eventuly eats into the paint. Once that happens its strip and repait time.

Have you tried CRC 5.56. I know, I know its a lubricant....but its also good for taking tar off of paintwork. Says so on the side of the can.

If its brake dust, I used degreaser A LOT of it; Brush and some good old elbow grease :D

I have used De-solve it before which has worked really good with a bit of elbow grease and repetittions.

If they are unpainted just get an acid based spray with a water blaster.

simple green and one of thos 3m scotchbrite pot scrubbers will take it off, but it will also take the paint off if u scrubb too hard.

Pictures would help this thread.

Just discovered today while trying to remove 3M tape residue that De-solv-it is the business on tar stains. Had these damn stains for 6 months and hadn't been able to get them off and they came off in 2 seconds with De-solv-it and I barely had to put in any elbow grease.