Sign in to follow this  
rxstephen

Returning to the fold... kinda

Hi girls and guy's

Just bought my E39 530i M-Sport (2001) and have been trying to digest this entire forum of information (impossible task). Fantastic wealth of information that has already helped me out in a few areas.

I'm just loving the E39, especially in M-Sport trim with looks, handling, comfort and safety. I've always wanted a 5 since I sold my E30 325i 10 years ago that I had owned since 1991.

I'm a bit of a DIY guy from a long way back, did all the work on my E30 including rebuilding the head, Schnitzer springs to quell the wayward rear end and tweaking and fettling. The E39 isn't going to need any fettling as it is... although I wonder how easy it will be to give it a little forced induction just to help the torque curve along :rolleyes:

I've bought the E39 as a daily driver and also something that can do a competent job of towing my race car. I resisted buying a 540i as I love the straight 6 and I've towed with a few 3L cars over the years and other than long up hill stretches they do the job admirably. Maybe a Bangle'd 530d will be my next car in a few years.

As for my race car, well I'm afraid it's not a bimmer... its a batman RX-7. I've probably run into a few of you (not literally) at the Manfeild Imermarques over the years collecting points for the opposition Mazda club. I haven't been able to get to many events lately, but want to increase my track time, so look out for the silver 530i towing the flame spitting red RX-7 B)

Here's a quick phone pic. Need to remove the Japanese plate holder. Drives like it just left the factory, with just 70K on the clock these cars are incredible value for money.

post-11318-1300311867.jpg

Welcome!

The car looks great! I drive an e39 2001 530msport as well. Awesome cars and there are quite a few e39 owners here so you'll never be short of help!

Enjoy ur stay :)

e39's are on the increase around here , Nice looking car and welcome to the site ,Many great people with loads of information that are more than willing to help in all areas.

^What he said

OK, here goes the OT subject ;)

Here's an old pic before the roll cage went in and the single turbo conversion. But really it's pretty much the same stock exterior look. I do have a new wing, skirts and lip spoiler to go on, but no rush. Will look good on the trailer behind the bimmer.

post-11318-1300320780.jpg

Cage before painting...

post-11318-1300321128.jpg

But what I have done includes:

stage 2 port

TO4E single turbo with 60 trim compressor

Tein RA dampers and springs

urathane bushes, sway bar, engine and diff mounts

solid mount trailing and toe links

chrome-moly full cage

racetech seat

At current boost levels its probably around the high 300 to 400HP range but with head room to wind the boost up further (not dynoed since single turbo went on, but did put out 251KW atw with highly modified stock twin turbos).

Here's a pic with my boy being a racer at the intermarque....

post-11318-1300320845.jpg

e39's are on the increase around here , Nice looking car and welcome to the site ,Many great people with loads of information that are more than willing to help in all areas.

Thanks guys.

Lots to read on this site. I hope I'll be able to return the help as time goes on.

Already I've looked up what to do with the pixel death dash (about 10% of them are out on mine). Local service options. Air filter options (will stick with the stock paper ones).

Cheers

I had the pixel death as well, could barely read my mileage. One of the conditions of purchase on my car was that the importer would sort it and it was a real quick job. Think it was in the $3-400 mark but cant be sure.

I had the pixel death as well, could barely read my mileage. One of the conditions of purchase on my car was that the importer would sort it and it was a real quick job. Think it was in the $3-400 mark but cant be sure.

Mine's not too bad, just annoying. But was part of the negotiation to knock the dealer down in price. I'll probably repair it myself. Looking at the methods out there the best one looks to be to drill through the face to get to the screws that hold the display and then put packing in to put pressure back on the connector strip.

I used to be an electronics tech, so doing work like this won't be too daunting. :^)

Very nice RX7.

Particularly the lack of Vielside crap.

Edited by Westy

Very nice RX7.

Agreed. Please don't add kit, not many that look as nice and original as yours. Such awesome looking cars, they still look fresh after 20 years.

Would love one.

Very nice RX7.

Agree, Vielside is over the top and ruins the original curves of the car. What I have are the mazdaspeed skirts that complement the stock lines and a curvy lip spoiler and a rear wing similar to the series 8 rx-7.

But the stock look is very stealth on the track where everyone is surprised how quick it is.

Welcome

Thats a nice E39 u got there! Wise choice :)

Yes the E39 looks very popular around here. I can see why.

Although its a hypochondriacs wet dream reading about everything that can go wrong :o

I assume not everyone has their vanos failing and suspension bushes splitting? :-)

All I have is some pixel death and one broken up holder, everything else is very solid and as far as I can determine work 100% :D

Yes the E39 looks very popular around here. I can see why.

Although its a hypochondriacs wet dream reading about everything that can go wrong :o

I assume not everyone has their vanos failing and suspension bushes splitting? :-)

All I have is some pixel death and one broken up holder, everything else is very solid and as far as I can determine work 100% :D

the interweb is misleading.you will read lots about the e 39 failings.It was the same with my e34 when i bought it.in the end it did not let me down in over eight years and over 100 000 k...keep on top of the maintenance and servicing,and keep an eye out on the mainly plastic cooling system.they are fragile as they get older