Sign in to follow this  
andrew.hope@10west.co.nz

e34: Installing spot lights

I decided to install spot lights in my 1989 e34 525i as the switch is on the dash and plugs are already wired up in the bumper. I got hold of a pair plugged them in but they didn’t work even with car & regular lights on. Figured there could be corrosion in the plugs from 21 years of hanging under the car so I cleaned them and checked with a multimeter and still nothing. Went back to the fuse box, both fuses are fine (2 and 7 I think) but nothing across them with the multimeter. I checked Bently and couldn't find anything useful. Am now at a loss :huh:

Is there some enabling or additional wiring I need to do, like getting in and connecting up the switch on the dash?

Thanks in advance :)

Not a 100% sure here, but I think you also need to add the relays.

also what colour are the plugs and wires you have used to plug into the fog lights as there a re few wires around that area which have the same type of plug etc

I decided to install spot lights in my 1989 e34 525i as the switch is on the dash and plugs are already wired up in the bumper. I got hold of a pair plugged them in but they didn’t work even with car & regular lights on. Figured there could be corrosion in the plugs from 21 years of hanging under the car so I cleaned them and checked with a multimeter and still nothing. Went back to the fuse box, both fuses are fine (2 and 7 I think) but nothing across them with the multimeter. I checked Bently and couldn't find anything useful. Am now at a loss :huh:

Is there some enabling or additional wiring I need to do, like getting in and connecting up the switch on the dash?

Thanks in advance :)

You will always get 'nothing' across a fuse as it's just a piece of wire, so if you measure tahr voltage across it you are just comparing one point to itself.try checking it with the other probe on the negative terminal of the battery

also what colour are the plugs and wires you have used to plug into the fog lights as there a re few wires around that area which have the same type of plug etc

Both sides are identical colours - blue plugs brown and yellow/red stripe, brown and yellow/black stripe. Yeah, I noticed the thermometer(?) plug down there would also fit.

So the existing switch on the left side of the steering wheel, only has one setting doesnt it?

And that'd be for the rear fog lights.

So if you replace the switch, the wiring still needs to be put into place? or do you just need to install a relay in the relay box?

It may end up being easier to just re-route the rear-fog light power to the front spots- given that no one ever uses them (someone yelled at me on the motorway the other day for having mine on!)

I expect the relays for them are right next to each other, so it'd probably only take a couple of jumper wires to sort that out.

the normal fog light switch by the left og the steering wheel should have two positions,the first clicj is front fogs and the second is for front and rear.Be aware that the fogs wont come on on without at least parking lights on

Edited by kiwi535

the normal fog light switch by the left og the steering wheel should have two positions,the first clicj is front fogs and the second is for front and rear.Be aware that the fogs wont come on on without at least parking lights on

Right, well that seems to be my problem. The switch has only two positions - on/off, 'on' being the rear fogs. I had assumed the fronts would come on then as well.

I don't need the rear fogs so is it simply a case of a few wire jumpers or something to switch control to the front ones?