Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

E30 front struts - removal

Ok so I'm putting new springs in my 1985 320i, and am struggling a little with the front struts. The contral arm balljoints refuse to break free. So does anyone have any advice on persuasion methods? Or does anyone in Wellington region have a ball-joint seperator I could borrow?

Also, while I'm asking, is it necessary to use spring compressors when removing the front springs from the struts? Or is there another way? And does anyone in Wellington have any spring compressors?

Cheers in advance :D

The contral arm balljoints refuse to break free. So does anyone have any advice on persuasion methods?

I f'd up both my control arm and tie rod threading 1st time i did this. I got a fork to break the control arm, but this destroys the rubber and lube oozes out. You can use some penetrant after you remove the nut, use a hammer to "break" the joint by hitting the curved part where the control arm threading goes into the strut- the eye? Dont hit the threading! Put the nut back onto the thread finger tight to protect the threading when you use the hammer.

Also, while I'm asking, is it necessary to use spring compressors when removing the front springs from the struts?

Have you tried loosening the shock nut 1st whilst the car's on the ground? otherwise when you try to remove the springs by taking the strut cap off, the nut just keeps spinning around with the shock. Unless you have an impact wrench, its pretty hard to disassemble the strut.

Its safer to use a spring compressor.

My experience any ways

I've been bashing away with a hammer for a while so far, with no results. I did protect the thread though, so no issues there :). It's just really being stubborn and I'm running outta ideas. Don't want to have to buy a ball-joint splitter...

Buy one its one of the best tools you'll own. Its about $25 from Supercheap.

Impact gun is also best to remove the top strut nut.

Buy one its one of the best tools you'll own. Its about $25 from Supercheap.

Impact gun is also best to remove the top strut nut.

Sounds like that may be the plan for tomorrow, cos I cant get it off any other way! Tried removing the top nut in the car too, came off easy. Now I have a strut with a shock and spring floating freely in the tower, with the control arm still attached and no easy way to get it off!

I was trying to avoid spending more money as I'd already been to supercheap to grab a wheel socket and breaker bar to get the wheels off, but seems there is no other way :P

Helps if you support the hub so when you are loading the ball joint the whole lot doesn't move, I place a jack under the hub and then put the nut back on so it's wound down level with the top of the thread, then one good hit straight down on top almost always works, with no damage. I take to responsibility for any results tho. ;)

Edited by Silver Fox

It's a little known fact that the joint is held in there with swear words - you have to get them out.

I've done what dubman says in the past. Sometimes you have to hit it pretty hard, and a lot.

Helps if you support the hub so when you are loading the ball joint the whole lot doesn't move, I place a jack under the hub and then put the nut back on so it's wound down level with the top of the thread, then one good hit straight down on top almost always works, with no damage. I take to responsibility for any results tho. ;)

This is exactly what i did.... and nothing haha. Maybe I need a bigger hammer? The best I have is a carpentry hammer...

just hit it harder, and remember the ball joint will be loaded upwards so wont fall out the bottom so to speak, you can crack it and not realise unitl you leaver the bottom arm down.

You get them apart with anger, rage.. and two new tie rod ends......

Well at least I ended up looking at tie rods and going, f**k it, ill just replace them, been a while

The smacked the top with a hammer. have done it other times with a whack to the side and both have popped out, really comes down to whether or not the car decides to be co-operative on the day.

just hit it harder, and remember the ball joint will be loaded upwards so wont fall out the bottom so to speak, you can crack it and not realise unitl you leaver the bottom arm down.

I tried to lever it down a few times, but its not budging haha. I'd better get a larger hammer I think... And unfortunately its not the steering one I'm having issues with, its the control arm. So new tie rod ends isnt an option...

This it what i do, never have trouble.

Good luck

You can change the springs and shock inserts with it still attached at the bottom - is not an easy job though. And will definately require spring compressors (although I use a thin strop as a home made alternative - if you are feeling brave.

And NEVER undo the top shock nut without spring compressors on if it is out of the car - I still have the hole in the wall and my finger to show why <_< !

The best I have is a carpentry hammer...

That's not going to do it. you need a 3lb one.

Ball joint splitter got me sorted, $40 from supercheap. Figure it's worth it cos I'll need it again when I can afford new shocks ;)

Hey Paul,

bring them round, don F*** around without spring compressors

cheers

Jon

Hey Paul,

bring them round, don F*** around without spring compressors

cheers

Jon

Allgood Jon, got them sorted yesterday in the end. Almost managed to break a lot of stuff, but got away with only sore hands from holding the top of the strut down.