Sign in to follow this  
dreadful1

Rim protector product?

Hey guys,

As you guys already know, I've gotten new rims and I refurbished them myself with the paint and all and during the process of applying the clear on, it totally changed the colour of the wheel to a peach colour which I didn't at all so I just left them without the clear which is bad interms of the protection of them but I try to keep them clean by giving them a wash everyday.

I was just wondering if there is like any products that protects it from dirty sticking to it or brake dust or anything like that?

I've waxed them so that has helped a lot but I was just wondering if you guys knew any other products that is like another set of "clear" on the wheels?

Yongxi

Like you, I waxed mine. Wax only lasts a couple of weeks on a rim though and as soon as you use a detergent or wheel cleaner on the wheel the wax will come off.

hmm true, I was hoping that there is a product out there that prevents dirty build up abit and can easily wipe the dirt off. kinda like a stronger wax?

Fish oil potentially?

Yeah you get it in a can from repco etc. Normally used to protect from rust.

Its clear*

Edited by tastic

Your best solution is just regular maintenance, I kept my new wheels looking new by giving them a good clean every week, Meguiars do a non Acid Wheel cleaner that is good as do they do a really good brush that makes light work of multi spokes always dry off with a quick wax or detailer and take them off and through clean them followed by a proper wax every month. They looked new two year later with everyday driving.

Alas nothing prepared them for motorsports and the now look like crap due to stone chips.

Carnauba wax is the only method and as graham says will only stick around a little bit.

Professional high temp uv resistant clear is the only way for polished wheels. If not you can get them anodised.

Yeah you get it in a can from repco etc. Normally used to protect from rust.

Its clear*

Fish oil will definitly discolour them.

Fish oil will definitly discolour them.

exactly what i thought because the paint is oil based haha

EDIT: what about silicon? would that work?

Edited by Yongxi

It would for a day. Then it will just attract dust and sh*t.

just swap back to steelies if it's too much hassle (taking the piss)

Regular cleaning is the only way i found to keep on top of my wheels and it's a bitch

Edited by gouba

have you tried fastwax? same as normal wax in terms of life on wheels but much easier to apply