Sign in to follow this  
j.ingledew

Help! E39 Problems

Driving my 99 525i today and it feels like it is shuddering when it is under power and when it is idling. It is not doing it all the time but it is when it is idling. I initially thought this could be the fuel filter or something but I just don't know BMWs. It is idling at around 600rpm which I thought was a little unusual and when you rev it it sounds like it is bogging down? I have recently switched from running 91 to 95 as of this last few days. Is this a serious problem or does anyone have a clue what this is and how to fix it?

I thought it could be a problem with the spark too but I don't even know how to get to the spark plugs on that motor.

Edited by Oh Jake Yeah

probably a cam or crank sensor but get a scan....

possibly air flow meter?

But that is a random guess and there is no point in guessing!, get it scanned.

possibly air flow meter?

But that is a random guess and there is no point in guessing!, get it scanned.

Scanned?

Scanned?

Plugged into a Diagnostic computer with an operator that knows what they are doing.

Will save time and money in the long run because you wont end up trying to replace/fix 10 different things.

Glenn or BMWorkshop, heaps of places have diagnostic equipment ... few know how to use it properly.

also check for vacuum leaks around all the pipes on the inlet manifold

Take it to a dealer and DONT run it on 91 - read the handbook

What handbook lol. The guy I bought it off hadn't taken a wheel off the car in the two years he owned it and it have rice as chrome lights.

also check for vacuum leaks around all the pipes on the inlet manifold

Put this into never worked on a BMW have no idea where anything is speak :)

Put this into never worked on a BMW have no idea where anything is speak :)

Take it to someone that knows then, easy.

Take it to someone that knows then, easy.

Moneys isn't something I have very much of atm lol. The 318ti just decided it doesn't like it's radiator and e39 doing this, baaad 24 hours

Maintenance comes with owning a BMW, can't afford? Buy a Honda.

Maintenance comes with owning a BMW, can't afford? Buy a Honda.

Does being a douche come with it too? Or are you like that on your own?

If you're going to take a dig at me. At least make it a good one yeah?

Edited by Oh Jake Yeah

You wanted help you got it, there's no need to cry.

You wanted help you got it, there's no need to cry.

And how have your posts been helpful at all. Its obvious if I wanted to blow all my money I would take it to a dealership. Your posts have been entirely redundant, take it to someone how knows? I am just asking for advice from people who I assume may know.

does the problem go away after the car warms up?

No it seems to last but when I went for a little drive about 2 hours after posting it the problem was gone?

I had hesitation under acceleration which turned out to be some blocking in the fuel lines, but in saying that I went and picked the car up from my mates house only to drive 50 meters and have the car completly die on me in the middle of an intersection, with a hang over it wasn't much fun and pretending to be dead wasn't an option.

It could be a number of different things so its mostly a process of elimination, I ended out getting the car towed 5 mins later to BMW and it turned out to be blocking in fuel lines, shot crank angle sensor and fouled spark plugs. But I think if yours was the CAS there would be a deffinatly a extreme loss in power and the car would sound like a diesel.

I guess the best way to find out whats wrong is to get it scanned like already said.

I'm sure someone on here would be kind enough to help you out with that man. Its the cheapest option before going and tackling things that might not solve the problem...

The car is due for a service and no I have the overwhelming suspicion it is the sparkplugs because I was sitting in a friends one and it did the same thing and he has a spark plug that had popped out. It is like it is missing badly.

a spark plug that had popped out

um pretty sure this is not OK.

There are a hundred things it could be, you should just try replace everything until it goes away.

Or you could just get it scanned.