Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Buying a used E90 320d

Did E90's suffer from the swirl flap breakages and turbo problems of the E46 diesels ?

The M57 (3.0L) had a few probs with the swirl flap, the 2.0L not so much.

Did E90's suffer from the swirl flap breakages and turbo problems of the E46 diesels ?

From what I can see in bmwtis.com - the 2.0L e90 engine is a goodie....

They're a well balanced very torquey little engine too, test drove one and a 330d on the same day.

The M57 (3.0L) had a few probs with the swirl flap, the 2.0L not so much.

Biggest swirl flap problem was in the M47TU20 engine as this had the smaller design of flaps. However, I think this engine was discontinued when the E46 finished, so no problem with the E90.

Loads of info on the net - JFGI.

Never had probs with the M47, just the six's. I'm going by experiance.

seems real oem list the m47 as M47,M47N and M47 N2.The e46 had the M47 and M47N whereas the e90(and E87 and prolly others) lists the M47 N2

So far the E90 320d seems to be a pretty reliable choice in the most part, We're now seeing ones well into the hundred thousand kms mark and seem to be holding up alright.

Its more the electrics on the car than the engines that can give trouble, that said some have given no trouble at all.

Oh and for a 2.0 diesel they put a pretty good smile on your face, especially on tight windy roads!

Edited by BMWTouring

So far the E90 320d seems to be a pretty reliable choice in the most part, We're now seeing ones well into the hundred thousand kms mark and seem to be holding up alright.

Its more the electrics on the car than the engines that can give trouble, that said some have given no trouble at all.

Oh and for a 2.0 diesel they put a pretty good smile on your face, especially on tight windy roads!

been well impressed with my little 120d but i am sure the "little" and the 6 spd manual help too

Oh yes, I did quite a bit of driving around Europe in E90 320d couple of years ago, and was more than impressed with the engine. Although 6 speed manual probably helped as well.

Ive got a E90 320d 6speed and its a great car, pretty punchy little engine that revs very well for a diesel. Good economy as well. Handling is best in class. Make sure you get one with decent spec, im sure most NZ new and Jap imports have better spec that most here in the UK.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-349027953.htm

I drove this one from Dunedin, great engines in them, but I also drove the 330d the same day and those things are just animals. I'd love a 330d touring.

Money no object, 335d :lol:

they only come in auto tho?

Anything can be optioned three months from Germania.

That argument even with diesels is almost getting to the stage where can you change gears fast enough?

If it was my option? The Auto every time.

autos are fine but boring.Part of the driving pleasure for me is that evrey shift has to be as smooth as possible .I dont drive much in the traffic,and besides the manuals aremore fuel efficent than the autos,and it was my option to get the manual.And i think it always will,untill dsg are commonplace

as for the 335d i think you will find they do not come in a manual.That is true for the 535 d anyway.

autos are fine but boring.Part of the driving pleasure for me is that evrey shift has to be as smooth as possible .I dont drive much in the traffic,and besides the manuals aremore fuel efficent than the autos,and it was my option to get the manual.And i think it always will,untill dsg are commonplace

as for the 335d i think you will find they do not come in a manual.That is true for the 535 d anyway.

You might find that fuel efficient bit is becoming more and more wrong, as autos are getting more gears and smarter computers. Many modern cars are actually more economical as an Auto :o.

But definitely prefer a manual, for the sheer pleasure produced due to the challenge. Sure its second nature, but its a little something the average auto driver isnt so great at, and simply doesnt do. Sometimes more (work) is really more (fun).

You might find that fuel efficient bit is becoming more and more wrong, as autos are getting more gears and smarter computers. Many modern cars are actually more economical as an Auto :o.

But definitely prefer a manual, for the sheer pleasure produced due to the challenge. Sure its second nature, but its a little something the average auto driver isnt so great at, and simply doesnt do. Sometimes more (work) is really more (fun).

when i was looking for the 120 the118d manuals were 10 mpg better than the 118d autos,and if you look at the specs the manuals ussually have lower co2 readings.

I class autos as the torque converters.Anything with a direct mechanical connection between engine and rear wheels is a manual in my book(dsg for instance)

And in the end its all moot because i will always choose a manual

Edited by kiwi535

when i was looking for the 120 the118d manuals were 10 mpg better than the 118d autos,and if you look at the specs the manuals ussually have lower co2 readings.

I class autos as the torque converters.Anything with a direct mechanical connection between engine and rear wheels is a manual in my book(dsg for instance)

And in the end its all moot because i will always choose a manual

Most autos have a direct connection above a certain RPM etc too. The torque convertor lockout. If it fails to disengage it gets interesting, as the car will stall haha.

But yes, Manual is the way to go. Although flappy paddles do have some appeal.

CVT is terrible, couldnt stand listening to one engine tone all day long!

Try find a manual 5 series after the E39, 3 series however.

Try find a manual 5 series after the E39, 3 series however.

I know,apart from the M5 there were a few 528 and a few 540s,in all the time i had my e34 i was on the lookout for a manual 540 and from memory there were only two that came up for sale