Sign in to follow this  
C.Ross

New Member, with suspension issues

hey there everyone,

I've owned my Beamer for a few years now, but last year I noticed my rear tyres were excessively wearing.

After driving around with my stereo turned off i noticed that my rear tyres were actually rubbing up inside the tyre wells when i had people in the back seats.

Has anyone had to replace their suspension before that could give me a rough estimate as to what it would cost to replace my suspension, i just want to keep it looking standard, not lowered or anything.

Welcome

What size and offset wheels do you have? and what size tyres do you have? this might be contributing to the rubbing.

Welcome

What size and offset wheels do you have? and what size tyres do you have? this might be contributing to the rubbing.

the rims that came standard with it are 7x17 on the front with 8x17 on the rear which i have 345x40's on, i found originally that it was rubbing on the inside of my front right tyre when i bought the car, due to the fact the previous owner did not realise that the tyres were infact staggered, he had one 7x17 on the front right and a 8x17 on the front left which with the offset on the 8x17 the tyre was too wide to be on the front.

After rotating the tyres around to correct that issue, it was about a year later it began rubbing in the rear. I dont think the tyres are a contributing factor though, as when you look at the left hand side rear tyre the wheel arch is about 1cm from the top of the tyre, when the car is parked on flat ground. Where as on the right rear, the wheel arch is actually below the top of the tyre, which is suggesting to me perhaps the shock's knackered or the spring is starting to sag... I'm not sure.

Surely you mean 245 not 345? Would have thought even 245 would be too wide for your car, my 5 has smaller tyres than that.

Replace your rear springs mate. Stock stuff is really cheap. Is the spring that holds the weight not the shock, though you may want to replace the shocks anyway.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Surely you mean 245 not 345? Would have thought even 245 would be too wide for your car, my 5 has smaller tyres than that.

Replace your rear springs mate. Stock stuff is really cheap. Is the spring that holds the weight not the shock, though you may want to replace the shocks anyway.

<_< Erm... woops yeah it's been a long day haha, i just checked 255x45x17 on the rear, 225x45x17 on the front...

yeah i was thinking of doing both while they were at it, but i dont know of any good places, or of a good price of what should be paid for the job done.... i've been foolish and rushed into decisions in the past and paid way too much for crap i shouldnt of....

255 are quite wide for an 8" rim. Do you know the offset?

<_< Erm... woops yeah it's been a long day haha, i just checked 255x45x17 on the rear, 225x45x17 on the front...

yeah i was thinking of doing both while they were at it, but i dont know of any good places, or of a good price of what should be paid for the job done.... i've been foolish and rushed into decisions in the past and paid way too much for crap i shouldnt of....

Hi Craig

Welcome to the forums, there are a heap of knowledgable people on here that can help you out. Your car (assuming it is an E46) should have 245/40/17's at the rear and 225/45/17's at the front as the factory sizes. If it has a 255/45/17 on the rear, it means that the tyre is too tall and this is what will be causing the issue in the rear when you have mates in it. We are in Penrose, you are welcome to pop in and see us and we can have a look at the car for you and advise your best course of action

cheers

Johno

:unsure: not off the top of my head no... i will try and find out and get back to you on that one, but still if it was the size of tyre why would one side be sitting up in the wheel arch when the other side you can see the top of clearly... i will take some photo's this weekend to show you what i mean.

Hi Craig

Welcome to the forums, there are a heap of knowledgable people on here that can help you out. Your car (assuming it is an E46) should have 245/40/17's at the rear and 225/45/17's at the front as the factory sizes. If it has a 255/45/17 on the rear, it means that the tyre is too tall and this is what will be causing the issue in the rear when you have mates in it. We are in Penrose, you are welcome to pop in and see us and we can have a look at the car for you and advise your best course of action

cheers

Johno

Hey there Johno,

The cars actually the E36 model, and if you were right about the tyre being too tall it still brings to question regards one side sitting lower in the rear, and if you jack the rear up, when you lower it on the ground it will sit evenly and higher for a while, then slower over time sag back to normal....

Hey there Johno,

The cars actually the E36 model, and if you were right about the tyre being too tall it still brings to question regards one side sitting lower in the rear, and if you jack the rear up, when you lower it on the ground it will sit evenly and higher for a while, then slower over time sag back to normal....

Hi

without anyone actually looking at the car it is really hard to diagnose exactly what the problem is. Are you able to bring it in for us to have a look at? During the week would be preferable, cheers.

E36 staggered factory rim setup is: 7.5 inch on the front and 8.5 inch on the rear with 225/45/17 on the front and 245/40/17 on the rears for CORRECT OE fitment.

Correct rim width for BMW OE fitment of a 255 is 9 inch not 8

If the rear ride heights are unequal it will be springs not shocks, shocks do not provide any suppport they only control movement. Maximum variation is 10mm side to side so it sounds like you have a spring issue.

You say the car is an E36 are the rims E36 fitment OE or E46 Fitment OE or are they aftermarket.

If you fit the correct tyre size to the 8 inch rim which would be a 235/ 40 or a 245/40 depending on tyre type then assuming the offset is close to correct your rubbing should be resolved.

Also tyres tread widths vary significantly with brand of tyre - the 245 is measured at the widest part which can be close to the rim on tyres like Pirelli whereas others are more square and the width of the tread is similar to the width of tyre close to the rim - the latter will be more prone to rub.

The rims are E36 OE so judging by what you have put the tyres which were on the car originally when bought were incorrect... thanks for the help :D

Yep it does, I have 225's on my 9" rims and they only have a very slight stretch!

I would have to assume if the suspension is uneven, that someone has tried to knock a spring coil off and took too much or installed them wrong :wacko:

Have you given it a cheeky guard roll?

Yep it does, I have 225's on my 9" rims and they only have a very slight stretch!

I would have to assume if the suspension is uneven, that someone has tried to knock a spring coil off and took too much or installed them wrong :wacko:

Have you given it a cheeky guard roll?

:blink: lol, no, no guard roll was necessary.... i wish i knew how to put pictures on here in a gallery to show you's.

You can add images in your post.

"Add Reply"

Attachments, "Browse..." Select image (JPEG smaller than 800x600), "UPLOAD"

Easy?

I had the same problem when I fitted my new wheels on and my suspension was uneven at the back, one sat higher than the other. I got in contact with Keith (SUSPENSION on the forums) and ordered a set of 60mm drop H&R's and they are amazing now.

I still get rubbing at high cornering/huge bumps but thats my choice in wheels.

But it looks though as your suspension has sagged too as mine hasn't been changed from factory.

Give Keith a call and he'll sort you out, great guy, great prices.

oh mate!! :blink::blink: here i was clicking on add image.... then getting rather P#ssed when it kept asking me for a URL... lol :D

Here's a couple of snaps i took recently

post-13865-1302513827.jpg

post-13865-1302513884.jpg

You comment that the wheels are E36 OE but give sizes of 7 inch and 8 inch which are not OE staggered sizes so can you identify which wheels you have and confirm the actual size.

The wheel will have the size (on the inside) including the offset

You also comment that you have 255/45 / 17s these are as mentioned too tall for the car should be 40 profile but if they are rubbing on the inside of the tyre i.e the inner guard then it suggests you might have another problem as there should be about 20mm clearance. (unless it is just bottoming out)

I would look into that ride height issue and also how much camber is the car running at the rear plus verify that the wheels are E36 OE

all i know buddy is that the car was original when i purchased it, the previous owner gave me all the receipts of everything she or her husband spent money on, on this car... and that didnt include no new rims... researching the matter some bmw sites do say that the Motorsport pack can come with staggered 7x17 and 8x18 rims as optional, i'm guessing however that the fault does lie with what you said earlier, IT IS THE PROFILE of the tyre. they should be 40's not 45's. Problem solved.... I hope

You have a Fiji Green is? Would you like to trade it for my wife/house/personal belongings?

Epic colour, f**k all of them around, please ditch the Audi lookalike headlights though, keep it OG.

You have a Fiji Green is? Would you like to trade it for my wife/house/personal belongings?

Epic colour, f**k all of them around, please ditch the Audi lookalike headlights though, keep it OG.

:D:lol::D LOL yea i know I have kept my original headlights in a box in my room, someday they will go back on... just in the mean time i was kinda over looking at the stock headlights, i was wanting angel eyes but EVERY man and his dog has them on there car. When i get sick of these... or annoyed of everyone hassling me about them i will change them back.... haha oh yeah and about the swap... i'll think about it, my mrs wouldnt be pleased though ;)

I've gotta say, A big thanks to Anton and the Boys at BM Workshop. after alot of discussions and looking around the car, my suspension issue has been sorted. The best service i have actually ever experienced so far with getting work done on any of my cars.... and funny enough it was in Auckland... Who would have guessed?