Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Toyota Soarer Active suspension compared against 850i & Legend

The rare active suspension Soarer was without a doubt one of the most technically advanced cars out of Japan in the early 90s.

It featured a unique Hydraulic 'active' suspension system that constantly changed the performance of each shock depending on what the car was doing, for example under heavy braking the front shocks would stiffen up keeping the car level and flat, this is demonstrated in the clip nicely against the Twin Turbo coil suspension Soarer.

It was just a shame it was too slow in a straight line posting a 16.3 1/4 mile, one of the reason Toyota only made 873 of the from 1991-1996.

Quite advanced that’s for sure, I know of quite a few European car companies only offering this as of the last few years.

Was it not offered in the 1JZ version?

Yeah no such option with the 1JZ, I was thinking earlier it would have been quite ideal if they had incorporated it.

Trouble with the active soarer is that version of 1UZFE has a huge hydraulic pump that does the power steering, suspension and rear wheel steering so it saps quite a lot of power, most stock examples can only put down 120rwkw, as apposed to 140rwkw for a normal V8, the TTs are more like 160rwkw out of the box.

Again the low power issue is compounded with a massive 1800kg+ weight, so its a bit of a catch 22. In saying that I know a guy in Australia thats supercharged one and put a 5 speed supra manual box in one. Puts down 296rwkw at present.

Meh its old Japanese rubbish by todays standards and they are so old half the sh*t wouldn't work in any case, I remember a friends dad had one near new when I was kid, was a boat and quite slow but had some cool features.

Here is reason not to want the active suspension, look at how much more fun the driver of the non active car is having.

Yeah most of them are in need of repairs, and its expensive, I know many who have invested the thousands to get/keep their suspension system going but its not easy.

Heh I know I would rather be in the TT manual too, way more fun.

But even so, Id rather be in a BMW, MUCH more fun again, and the styling/brand factor also comes into it.

Edited by E36V8

Well summarised Josh.

I don't know how I liked them the way I did all those years ago. Through my ownership of BMWs I've realized what stupid looking cars the Soarers are, a bloated boat for the road.

The way they drive and feel is probably just as odd as their looks, after driving one you look forward not getting back into one until you have to drive it.

Yet the soarer forum guys still think they are best car in the world. It's a laugh.

:rolleyes:

Same as me., i used to like them as well as was looking at buying one years ago but ending up getting an E34 in the end.

Ive driven a few and they go ok for what they are but looking at the now they look like the usual toyota with no style.

Diagonal sway bars twisting through the cabin - with incorporated cupholders - would be better/more reliable.

Future project?!?!

Same as me., i used to like them as well as was looking at buying one years ago but ending up getting an E34 in the end.

Ive driven a few and they go ok for what they are but looking at the now they look like the usual toyota with no style.

Smart man, I ended up buying 4 of them before realizing they were pretty lame cars, the styling was the first thing that one day started putting me off and then after I drove a few good BMWs I realise they are not only stupid looking but an extremely dull handling car.