Sign in to follow this  
snooker15

another muffler and rear silencer delete

so today I got rid of that ugly muffler and rear silencer ,welded a 3'' pipe to the exit and maintained the stock look.

resonator (centre silencer ) left in place.The new pipe is welded to two rods attached to the existing rubber that used to hold the old muffler (sorry didn't take a pic for that side)

RESULT : it sounds amazing ,deep ,throaty V8 rumbles with no droning or rasping at all ,,tested under heavy load and at cruising speeds on the high way.It's loud enough to hear the nice v8 tunes but not so loud that it's disturbing others .

COST : I called 10 shops asking for a quote , the best quote was from Als Mufflers in North Shore , $60

very helpful and professional guys .

best $60 bucks I spent on modification.. It was really worth it for me.

cheers

post-13219-1302491185.jpg

post-13219-1302491213.jpg

post-13219-1302491346.jpg

post-13219-1302491402.jpg

post-13219-1302491421.jpg

post-13219-1302491511.jpg

Edited by snooker

The "Y" muffler further down is usually a common one to cut out and replace with straight pipe.

Instead of what you had done.

The "Y" muffler further down is usually a common one to cut out and replace with straight pipe.

Instead of what you had done.

right ,,but that would cause some rasping which I don't like ,,further that y resonator delete may cause some torque loss (based on many reports from users who did that,,no personal experience though,,I might be wrong),,Also I've listened to the sound with the "y res delete" from other 540's but didn't like it,,I'm happy with this setup for now as I got the sound I want (temporarily at least, because you get to hear this monster v8 only if you press the pedal otherwise it's quiet when idling,,my next step later on is to build a complete custom true dual exhaust )

cheers

Edited by snooker

Hmm not very imaginative, but for cost effectiveness deleting the rear muffler with straight pipe can do the trick as a temporary measure.

Do post up a couple of videos! Revving stationary and a drive by would be good.

At least you want a true dual exhaust later on. All I can say is make sure it's a 'true' true dual system, free of nasty X pipes.

Hmm not very imaginative, but for cost effectiveness deleting the rear muffler with straight pipe can do the trick as a temporary measure.

Do post up a couple of videos! Revving stationary and a drive by would be good.

At least you want a true dual exhaust later on. All I can say is make sure it's a 'true' true dual system, free of nasty X pipes.

I'll post some vids tonight or tomorrow and yeah definitely no x or H crap lool

Any ideas what you will do for the rear mufflers to make a good true dual setup?

There is the option of having one of those single mufflers that are dual in and dual out, with no balancers inside but they still allow the note to blend a bit, being that the gases share the same absorption chamber, so aren't the best solution.

For a long time I've been convinced the only way to get a good sound on a BMW V8 is to have the rear tire well deleted, and having a flat steel plate welded in place in order to free up the under car space at the rear, much like on the Z3 M coupe, M5 and E92 V8, which in that area mufflers take up the space of the exhaust.

That way you can run two properly sized rear mufflers and have a chance at getting the best true dual sound - a good example are the Audi V8s, RS4s and RS6s.

I've been following the thread Toeknee started some where here in the forum. there are some informative posts and great idea's . But I don't know yet which setup I choose. This is something that I surely need an expert advice on and has to be done properly . I don't mind deleting the spare tire and welding a steel plate instead if I have to,,though this sounds insane lool...I don't intend to do this modification very soon,,,it may take a few months...wallet is empty now :D

I've done the exact same mod to my 540ia. I havent noticed any decrease in performance. back windows down, and full throttle sounds very nice indeed. Would be good to do a before and after dyno run to see if it does affect performance of the engine. The only thing i've noticed is what sounds like excessive fueling on overrun from the 2k rpm to idle range. Very small 'popping' type sounds.

Anyone removed the can on the right??...have seen some clips of that one gone, sounds pretty good

I think its pretty easy to make these cars sound like some random POS from west auckland.

Lots of really bad vids on youtube of what not to do.

The easiest thing to is copy what the big exhuast manufactures are doing. Including finding out what each muffler type is and pipe size.

fyi. popping sounds are normal for any car. Stock mufflers hide this very well.

so today I got rid of that ugly muffler and rear silencer ,welded a 3'' pipe to the exit and maintained the stock look.

resonator (centre silencer ) left in place.The new pipe is welded to two rods attached to the existing rubber that used to hold the old muffler (sorry didn't take a pic for that side)

RESULT : it sounds amazing ,deep ,throaty V8 rumbles with no droning or rasping at all ,,tested under heavy load and at cruising speeds on the high way.It's loud enough to hear the nice v8 tunes but not so loud that it's disturbing others .

COST : I called 10 shops asking for a quote , the best quote was from Als Mufflers in North Shore , $60

very helpful and professional guys .

best $60 bucks I spent on modification.. It was really worth it for me.

cheers

Great bang for buck, no adverse affects after the mod?

fyi. popping sounds are normal for any car. Stock mufflers hide this very well.

not true..this mod on a 4 or even a 6 bangers sounds awful ..I've tried it on e36 318is and on e39 520..every one will know you need a MUFFLER lool

but on a v8 it really sounds sweet,,most people think it's the natural sound of the engine ..any way ,,who cares..it's reversible ..it'll cost u about $20 bucks to weld your muffler back if you don't like it.

Great bang for buck, no adverse affects after the mod?

no(known) adverse affects...very hard to say losing some torque without taking the car to the dyno..there might be a slight loss of low-mid range torque,,,it's just my feeling but it's not bothering me