Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Warm Starting Trouble

My car starts perfectly when cold but when it's warm it doesn't start as quick.

Sometimes it won't even start at all on the first attempt but if I wait a few seconds and try again it's fine.

It only does this after i've been driving it around and the engine is nice and hot, always starts instantly when cold :wacko:

Ideas anyone???

The problem is that it's f'ing annoying, especially when i've pulled up to a service station on a long trip and after filling up she won't start...it's ebarrassing :blush:

My only concern is that it may be indicative of something serious, perhaps a fuel pressure regulator or something remote like that, just curious.

I noticed my car idling like it was getting low on fuel just after I started it this afternoon (I filled it up this morning). I think it may be soemthing to do with the fuel just isnt getting in fast enough.

Edited by E30stz

tried turning key on, waiting a few seconds then try???? I've had a couple cars that were like that, nothing wrong, they often have a small delay when hot for like a check sequence or something..... s4 rx7s do it, volvo and scania trucks blah blha blah..... just an ecu self check, might not happen on urs but then again..... dount it with dirty old motronic ewwness......

bah, I'm rambling

seems kinda weird, any BMW I've ever been near was terrible on cold start.... stalling and sh*t....

Edited by CaM

I noticed my car idling like it was getting low on fuel just after I started it this afternoon (I filled it up this morning). I think it may be soemthing to do with the fuel just isnt getting in fast enough.

maybe ICV???? sparkle's changes notably when you unplug it whilst it's running.......

Idle Control Valve

If the valve is on it's way out then you'll get a revy idle, ie, the revs will go up and down like a yoyo.

seems kinda weird, any BMW I've ever been near was terrible on cold start.... stalling and sh*t....

You must have bad luck, i've yet to see one that didn't start well in the cold, even Tim's car somehow manages to start perfectly in the cold!!!

yeah but just comparing them with their hot start.... sparkle's was gay for a while, sounded like a mad vt@k bridgeport 13b yo!! but 'tis sweet now..... also starts better hot with new headgasket.... his also runs quite smooth with the icv unplugged, maybe something to do with the ecu overcompensating with the fairly rough idle since his porting job. New ICV as well...

No vaccuum leaks carl??

mine had full service @ BMWorkshop last week. I would have thought they pick up on it if it could have been fixed.

it's a fuel problem, might be the relay coil getting too hot!

it's a fuel problem, might be the relay coil getting too hot!

Very very common in early 90's Hondas so could be that.

Whenever I fill my car up (it's usually warm) and I re-start it, it pulses a few times before going back to a normal idle.

Guest Andrew

Injectors poked perhaps. My car did this till I got different injectors. They stay open when its hot and flood the motor - it would always start if you cranked it and then just stopped cranking it - would sputter into life.

Injectors poked perhaps. My car did this till I got different injectors. They stay open when its hot and flood the motor - it would always start if you cranked it and then just stopped cranking it - would sputter into life.

Yes, it does that sometimes, keep cranking it then stop and give it a little gas and she splutters into life...

So injectors you wrcekon, they're bloody expensive aren't they.

I'm guessing then that this could be the result of my exhaust gasket not having the heatshielding, I have some new gaskets with the shields waiting to go on, perhaps that'll fix it...

get them cleaned (properly.. not with tank additive)

If they weren't clean wouldn't get bad perfromance/economy? I'm averaging 33 mpg as it is...

yeah but they moight not be closing perfectly and dripping when sitting or something...... 15 or so years of gum and varnish from sh*t nz fuel = gay

diesel & turbo in petone will probably be able to check them out, and supply you with new o-rings and what have you to get them all chur.... I guess in the interim Ian would have some spares to keep you mobile B)

Are they rattly as a mofo??? might be a good thing getting rid of that shizzle as well :pimp:

Edited by CaM

Another possibility, could my temperature sensor be a little whack, the blue one???

Guest Andrew

Another possibility, could my temperature sensor be a little whack, the blue one???

no -

it will be the injectors. Cam is right they are sticking open.

I will look into getting them cleaned, as I can't afford $600 for a new set of injectors!!!

And no my injectors aren't rattly

its ya injectors mate i know i had same prob too.

I will look into getting them cleaned, as I can't afford $600 for a new set of injectors!!!

And no my injectors aren't rattly

apparently (may be an m30 mod though) late model mutang injectors are the bizzo, once the plugs aree changed.... mega potential performance mod apparently hahaha using u.s car parts = :thumbsdown: :gay: :puke:

pwn Ian's spares off that car he was wrecking.... they might be fine