Sign in to follow this  
M325is

2010 X3 - I'm in love

Finally got a tow bar from Germany on my mates new X3, She isn't confident to tow so guess who gets to drive it :P OOOOHHHH YYEEAAAH!

Towing 2 horses in a float (approx 1800kg)

Our first journey was from Botany to Beachlands. I barely had to put my foot on the gas. The X3 is so powerful!

We passed (without putting my foot on the gas) a Patrol towing 2 horses on the steep passing lane before Beachlands!! I couldn't stop laughing (the woman in the patrol had the last laugh though when she won the competition and I came a close second).

Also I forgot to put the brakes back on after reversing out of our carpark for the trip home, I didn't even notice until we got home and I got out to take the brake off, naughty me, but aparently it can tow unbraked up to 1800kg any way. It is just so smooth.

I am in love with the X3.

So comfy, great after a hard workout competing. Very impressed!!

I want one for myself now!

Thought I would report back in :)

On a side note, I am still clutching onto my 87 M325i... But I am still getting heavy pressure to sell.

It's a neat car huh Shelley, did this one have the start stop system on it?

It's a neat car huh Shelley, did this one have the start stop system on it?

they all have that mate just some are labeled :)(the 120 d does)(and the "clutch in to start :( )

they all have that mate just some are labeled :)(the 120 d does)(and the "clutch in to start :( )

I believe they are optioned, we have a couple and i'm sure the one i drove didn't have it.

I believe they are optioned, we have a couple and i'm sure the one i drove didn't have it.

all the BMWs i have driven have a stop start system i mean!(just not the stop start button!)

They have come a long way in the looks department for sho. What engine does it have? The new 2.0d pulls like a train. Unbraked should be about 750kg ish the X5 was 750 unbraked and 2700kg braked, ML is 3500braked 750 unbraked but with DSC and trailer stability management on them now it's hard to make them jack knife.

They have come a long way in the looks department for sho. What engine does it have? The new 2.0d pulls like a train. Unbraked should be about 750kg ish the X5 was 750 unbraked and 2700kg braked, ML is 3500braked 750 unbraked but with DSC and trailer stability management on them now it's hard to make them jack knife.

They've only been released here with the 20d, there is speculation that a 35i will be coming here too.

Hmmm, I was told the 3.0d was arriving soon after the release of the 2.0d, they list it on the BMW site now so just thought they were available.

On the extremely slow & impossible to navigate BMW.co.nz they list a 2.0d 3.0d and a straight 6 petrol.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Hahaha I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Only thing is BMW gave it back to my friend after the tow bar was fitted and forgot to tell her there was a converter plug in the boot.

So we drove to the show with no lights on the float as the float had an oblong connector and the BMW has the round connector. While we were at the show BMW call to say there was one in the boot. So we at least had lights for the journey home.

We were also told its 1800kg unbraked and 3000kg braked ?? Is this bullshit? Dangerous if they told us wrong.

This X3 is a 2.0 Diesel, and seriously I dont know why you would want more power than this thing already has!! What would you do with more power?

Such a cool car!!

We were also told its 1800kg unbraked and 3000kg braked ?? Is this bullshit? Dangerous if they told us wrong.

Sounds very wrong IMHO.

FYI that is more than a 200 series landcrusier (which has a full chassis & weighs over 2.5 tonne).

Toyota Website

Gross Vehicle Weight 3300 kg

Kerb Weight 2675-2720 kg

Tow Capacity Braked 3500 kg

Tow Capacity Unbraked 750 kg

Happy to be proved wrong, but I would be wanting a copy of the certification from BMW stating the above should you have an accident.

As you can imagine a 1800kg X3 with an unbraked 1800kg trailer adds up to a pretty unsafe combo should you jump on the brakes in an emergency.

BMW Website

Weights: X3 XDrive 20D & 30D

Kerb Weight (kg) 1,725

Payload (kg) 575

Roof Load Limit (kg) 100

Towing Cap Brakes (kg) 2,000 (2,750 for the X5 & X6)

Towing Cap No Brakes (kg) 750

If you add the above up you get a Gross Max Vehicle weight of 4,400kg.

Be very carefull you don't over load anything as +4,500kg = HCV license req'd.

And if you think they will never check.... you'd be surprised.

Edited by E30-323ti

We just sold our 2006 3.0 X3 and we could never work out why they got such a bad rap by the press. The performance and ride was extremely good. We loved it- only thing which we didn't like was a weird creaking / rattle that emanated from the door area. Apparently quite common with them.

I am sure the new X3 will be a fantastic truck..

Gosh, well that was pretty sh*t of me forgetting the brake. But I must say it felt no different.

Yeah I know about the Licence. We come just under in both the X3 and Big Horn. I want to go sit it anyway.

The new X3 with the X-Drive 3.0 Turbo is awesome, 0-100 sub six seconds.

The new X3 with the X-Drive 3.0 Turbo is awesome, 0-100 sub six seconds.

Wow, that would be a surprise the first time you nailed it.

Gosh, well that was pretty sh*t of me forgetting the brake. But I must say it felt no different.

Yeah I know about the Licence. We come just under in both the X3 and Big Horn. I want to go sit it anyway.

Sh*t happens... and often don't feel that different under 'normal' conditions.

We use to use a small Nissan truck (3500kg) to tow the rally car, trailer brakes got burnt out on the downhills from Napier to Gisborne (truck had an engine brake), and you couldn't even tell the trailer had no brakes for the rest of the trip or back to Wgtn. IIRC that combo was around 6 tonnes loaded, bit naughty on a 'car' license.

A friend of mine used to tow horse floats, but she got her HCV and now has a truck and can take 3 horses (I think) plus heaps of gear / kitchen-ette

Wow, that would be a surprise the first time you nailed it.

esp. for the boy racer in his pimp'd out forester whose lips you just dragged off.

Edited by E30-323ti

Yea, would scare the sh*t out of an unsuspecting driver, in context it has been tested by the same magazine with a 0-100 time the same as a new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, now thats really fast.

Whats more impressive as that it returns an average consumption better than my gutless 10 year old E46 328i.

So thats a SUV vehicle that can beat Mitsubishi Evo's at the traffic lights and return better consumption than a say a 5+ year old three series.

BMW have come a long way very fast these last few year, people may pooh pooh the styling but underneath they are light years from the 90's.

Not a fan of the first generation X3 myself.

Yea, would scare the sh*t out of an unsuspecting driver, in context it has been tested by the same magazine with a 0-100 time the same as a new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, now thats really fast.

Whats more impressive as that it returns an average consumption better than my gutless 10 year old E46 328i.

So thats a SUV vehicle that can beat Mitsubishi Evo's at the traffic lights and return better consumption than a say a 5+ year old three series.

BMW have come a long way very fast these last few year, people may pooh pooh the styling but underneath they are light years from the 90's.

Not a fan of the first generation X3 myself.

I can vouch for that. I really crapped myself the first time I floored it in one of those 335i thingies...

Styling comes into its own over time. The e60 is the best looking 5 series on the road at the moment. It's grown into its looks and some of the 545s and M5s I see around the place just look plain awesome.

The 5##i M with a wider wheel and a slight lowering looks better than an M5 IMHO, the M5 still looks awkwardly proportioned and has a horrid stance.

The first gen X3 just plain sucked, it was not ugly nor pretty it was just poorly designed. The new one looks great.

Posted Image

New model. Yes plz.

Posted Image

BMW web site give 6.2 seconds to 100k where does the sub 6 seconds come from? and yes they are impressive. Looking to remap my E53 X5 to match E70 3.0d performance

Was an independent test.

Try NZ performance tuning regarding your remap, worth a phone call, they have done my cars and I am very impressed with the gains and more so the smooth torque curve, they actually managed to make the car smoother than OEM with 30 more KW and 50NM.

http://www.nzperformancetuning.co.nz/

Was an independent test.

Try NZ performance tuning regarding your remap, worth a phone call, they have done my cars and I am very impressed with the gains and more so the smooth torque curve, they actually managed to make the car smoother than OEM with 30 more KW and 50NM.

http://www.nzperformancetuning.co.nz/

much the same experience with the 120d,more driveable at low to middle revs plus it revs higher n quicker

Do both, would be an awesome combo. They do Miltek if you want proven performance and quality off the shelf stainless.

Dont think I would be keen on towing nearly 2 tonnes with a 2 litre diesel.

Nothing wrong with the X3 2.0 pulling 2 Tonne that's for sure :)

The only thing that would make it better is if it were 4X4 :)

Still planning to do the exhaust first, re maps are fine but sorting the bunged up exhaust will always give a better overall result.

what about a better/bigger intercooler

The only thing that would make it better is if it were 4X4 :)

It is.