Sign in to follow this  
bumpstop325

How to tell if you got H20 in your fuel Tank

Ok, this happened to me the other day.

When i filled up at Shell in palmy, i must of got a bad dose of 91 octane.

After this, i was driving and the car started backfiring hard out, when i put any load on the engine. It was just wasnt drivable but when i went to take off. The car just dies or goes very slowly.

Starting of the egine takes a few more seconds to turn over if at all. Another sign.

To get the water out of you tank, you can do two things.

One, drain the fuel tank completely and wasted gas, or

Two, buy a bottle of METHS (the purple stuff) and stick it into your fuel tank. With a fuel tank you can put up to 3L of meths without affecting the engine. I'm not 100% on how it works. I have been told that the meths bonds to the water, making it a more flammable mixture than just water and fuel.

This took me a few days to find the problem but at the end i only spent $4.35 fixing the problem.

Edited by bumpstop325

You run your car on 91? I only put in 96, runs way better.

My old dx used to spit tacks wen I put 91 in her.

yeah this happened to me too... i was under the impression that it was cos of the 91 i put in it. This was just when i got my car... same symptoms plus start in the morning and it just dies and i floored the accelerator and it sounded like one of those rotary cars..... took 3 fills of 96 and it was all good after that...guess the bad fuel finally went off.... :finger:

yeah 91 is evil, leave it to the camry's and the commondores

96 or 98 is the way of the future!!! :mosh:

For some reason, when I use 98, I actually got WORSE milage compare to 96.

I don't know if it's just me or what. This happen to my e36, Civic, Accord and CRV. (yes, I am an ex-Honda freak)

Guest Andrew

For some reason, when I use 98, I actually got WORSE milage compare to 96.

I don't know if it's just me or what. This happen to my e36, Civic, Accord and CRV. (yes, I am an ex-Honda freak)

probably cause it doesn't burn and runs rich.

I get awesome economy on 96 - 91 is horrible economy.

yes i have heard this meths trick too..the alcohol actually absorbs the water somehow and it is "burnt" along with the petrol/alcohol mixture

all the guys at work were shocked that i just shoved meths in my car and just drove off, like i normally do :D . Because wheni got into work some of theguys saw me push my car into the work carpark. cause it stalled in the middle of the driveway and couldnt get my car started again.

Wish I could get 98, it kills me. Dirty 96 Shell only.

98 is noticable better than 96, with some placebo

i don't think 98 is worth the extra over 96, my car doens't like 91 at all either.

Who here actually runs on 91???

When I first go the car I ran 91 since my previous cars used it and I wasn't sure. Wasn't till I ran my first trip north to Hamiltron that on one tank it only got from Welly to Putararu, that wasn't even 500kms...the next trip using 96 it got to Hamiltron no probs, 550kms+

I'm now getting 12km/l on trips having the manual and tall diff

Edited by ///Carl

I don't think I've ever put 91 in a car... I 98 mostly does make a difference although it coud do with a good tune up (no motronic)

cheers Matt

98 rules mega in high comp cars, I noticed huge differences in "performance" jap cars more than anything else, due to them being tuned for jdm 100octane....

Laurel was better on 96 marginally, but driving it to work I just ran it on 91... worked out cheaper by a small margin, plus I hardly drove it most of the time so yeah......

i've only used 96 here ....

Where can i get 98 down here in dunedin ?

Most of the mobil's and a few BP's stock it in welly.

Mobil does that synergy system e.g 91= synergy 1000 98= synergy 8000

Silly Question , but did you ring the Shell Technical line, and report the problem?

These guys keep a check on the petrol going into the service stations, and will respond to an issue.

might get you meths dollars back ^_^

I tried 98 for a while, but really it just costs more. Its prob wasted on my car..

But i think there might be a degree of placebo in the sale of it..

Anyway, for you guys looking for it - BP sells it as 'BP Ultimate' - i think they list them on their website..