Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

Throttle Body Accs.

Been thinking about the vacuum lines and other lines going to and from the TB.

I want some constructive input or ideas not comments like "BMW made it this way for a reason...blah blah"

The water lines to the TB, I don't think they're needed in our climate and must unnecessarily heat the intake air? should I block off the lines, link them together or block em off at thermostat (that's where those lines come from right?).

The intake boot (before TB) to brake booster line. Needed?

I've seen a lot of m20's overseas' run a single line from after the TB only.

Can I "T" a line somewhere else to provide vacuum for the Valve Cover? Perhaps use the 2nd line from the booster I've talked about above? I may need to use that hole in the TB for something else.

I have more questions but will leave them for later... :ph34r:

I run my valve cover vent through a hidden hose into the chassis rail and blocked off the other end at the TB, you don't need to have that one plumbed back in ( Although it does smell a bit sometimes)

I taked to Kerry once about the brake booster line and he said its better to keep that one plumbed in

Ahh so the valve cover line is just a vent, so it doesn't need to be plumbed to the intake for vacuum purposes??

I've removed the heating lines going to my throttle. Haven't had a problem yet. I highly doubt the temperature from the throttle has any effect on the intake temperature. The way I see it is there's bugger all air that actually touches the walls of the t.b. I've just linked the lines together but will be changing this at some stage. All this on an m52.

Another vacuum source to use for ccv is from your exhaust. Or you could just drill and tap your intake for more fittings

I was wondering the same today as I was playing around in the engine bay. Whatever you do take photos so we can see the difference.

Yea going to be drilling/tapping some extra holes for other reasons but nothing as big as the valve cover line.

Exhaust is a good idea. Poor environment.

I was wondering the same today as I was playing around in the engine bay. Whatever you do take photos so we can see the difference.

Yea I just took off the intake manifold (removing bolts was a b***h) so I can drill/tap lines, paint and tidy it up.

Don't have before photos' but there will definitely be after shots.

Ahh so the valve cover line is just a vent, so it doesn't need to be plumbed to the intake for vacuum purposes??

Correct, thats why your car can still run with no valve cover on, the hoonda guys always just put one of those breather filters on when they take the hose off, but as i said the oil from the crakcase puts of a fair amount of fumes so better to run a hose somewhere, ( try run the hose to the passenger side too, away from the hot exaust manifold)

Been thinking about the vacuum lines and other lines going to and from the TB.

I want some constructive input or ideas not comments like "BMW made it this way for a reason...blah blah"

The water lines to the TB, I don't think they're needed in our climate and must unnecessarily heat the intake air? should I block off the lines, link them together or block em off at thermostat (that's where those lines come from right?).

The intake boot (before TB) to brake booster line. Needed?

I've seen a lot of m20's overseas' run a single line from after the TB only.

Can I "T" a line somewhere else to provide vacuum for the Valve Cover? Perhaps use the 2nd line from the booster I've talked about above? I may need to use that hole in the TB for something else.

I have more questions but will leave them for later... :ph34r:

You can remove the water lines from the throttle body, it will be fine.

Yes, you can remove that boot. You prob dont want to run it anyway. Connect the booster to the manfold, make sure you still use the one way valve. :ph34r:

The crank case vent dosent need to see vacuum, but it is best to keep it in vacuum if you can, and I believe its a requirement for a cert (to be recirc'd and not venting to atmosphere)

The crank case vent dosent need to see vacuum, but it is best to keep it in vacuum if you can, and I believe its a requirement for a cert (to be recirc'd and not venting to atmosphere). On a turbo car you would route it to the turbo inlet. Alot of people dont like this as you will get a film of oil all through your turbo, charge piping, and intercooler. You can also route it to the exhaust via a special one way valve, the exhaust will draw a vaccum on it.

The crank case vent dosent need to see vacuum, but it is best to keep it in vacuum if you can, and I believe its a requirement for a cert (to be recirc'd and not venting to atmosphere)

Is routing it to exhaust via one way valve cert-able?

Water lines will be blocked.

Brake booster line to intake boot's going.

Thanks Troy,

P.S. did you build you own turbo set-up?

Would like to see pics of the M50-Turbo if it's not in a thread already.

Edited by Blackie

Is routing it to exhaust via one way valve cert-able?

Water lines will be blocked.

Brake booster line to intake boot's going.

Thanks Troy,

P.S. did you build you own turbo set-up?

Would like to see pics of the M50-Turbo if it's not in a thread already.

Im not sure if the exhaust thing is cert-able either. Need to look into it, as there is some people using it and getting some good vacuum this way.

Its not quite finished but very close and currently apart. Ill send some pics later, dont have a thread. Yes I built it my self.

As an aside. I was having a talk with a collegue who runs race car. He mentioned that he saw sub zero inlet temperatures just after the throttle plate due to the pressure drop across the plate. For long periods of wide open throttle ice would build. Hardly an issue here but an interesting occurance id thought i would share..