Sign in to follow this  
yng_750

Braided brake/clutch lines

Asking on behalf of a friend

Just out of curiosity.

How much would you expect to pay for ADR approved road legal Braided stainless brake hoses

And how cheap would they have to be for you to consider replacing your rubber ones purely based on a performance gain not need of replacement

As far as I am aware ADR means nothing in NZ. For braided lines to be legal it needs to meet one of the following standards (and have the approval tag on the line itself):

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/li...rakes-2002.html

Approved vehicle standards for vacuum brake hoses2.5(4) A vacuum brake hose must comply, as specified in 2.5(6), with a version of an approved vehicle standard in 2.5(5), or with the original equipment specifications of the vehicle manufacturer.

2.5(5) Approved vehicle standards for vacuum brake hoses are:

• (a) Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE 40 R3L (light duty);
  • ( B)Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE 40 R3H (heavy duty);
  • © Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE 40 M (heavy duty oil resistant);
  • (d) Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE J1403 (vacuum brake hose);
  • (e) British Standard BSAU 109;
  • (f) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 106, Brake Hoses;
  • (g) Japan Industrial Standard D2607.
Edited by M3_Power

that info you posted is in relation to the vacuum lines from the engine to booster.

certification threshold says that braided lines dont need certification but must meet wof standards

warrant standard implies

The use of stainless steel braided brake hoses in the repair of a vehicle's brake system is permissable under the Vehicle Repair Rule and the Light Vehicle Brakes Rule provided that they return the brake system to within safe tolerance of its state when manufactured.

The following can be taken as evidence that a stainless steel braided brake hose fitted to a vehicle complies with the requirements of the Vehicle Repair Rule and the Light Vehicle Brakes Rule:

1. The hose has been designed for highway use, and

2. The hose can be shown to comply with one of the following standards and carries markings showing compliance with that standard:

- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 106: Brake hoses, or

- ISO 3996: Brake hose assemblies for hydraulic brake systems used with non-petroleum-based fluid, or

- SAE J1401: Hyraulic brake hose assemblies for use with non-petroleum-base hydraulic fluids, or

- Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) D2601: Hydraulic Brake Hose for Automobiles, or

- Australian Design Rule 7/00: Hydraulic Brake Hose.

the hoses he is looking to distribute carry both FMVSS106 and ADR42/04 markings so are fully road legal

The braided lines for my E30 were $280. That was cheap enough for me to want to replace all the rubber lines. I was replacing a whole lot of other stuff at the same time though which made it easier to justify.

Sorry abit off topic but Matt do you own a red e30 coupe ?

Also OP you can get them overseas shipped to you for about $160NZ

Edited by APT

Ha, yes. And by "was replacing" I mean "am currently having replaced" as I'm sure you've seen. You're car is looking great, btw! I wish mine was as tidy as that...

Edit: If that was directed at me, Jason, I paod $280 for a 6 line set of HEL lines

Edited by Matt

that info you posted is in relation to the vacuum lines from the engine to booster.

certification threshold says that braided lines dont need certification but must meet wof standards

warrant standard implies

the hoses he is looking to distribute carry both FMVSS106 and ADR42/04 markings so are fully road legal

Ah true, my bad ... wasn't paying attention when I cut and pasted that info.

You can have most lines legally (DOT approved for example) if they're on your LVV cert can't you?

Took this out of a thread from the "08

As long as the brake lines are crimped and have a coating over the outside of the stainless steel for protection.

Not sure if that's fact though?

You can have most lines legally (DOT approved for example) if they're on your LVV cert can't you?

Took this out of a thread from the "08

Not sure if that's fact though?

kind of a fact

thats one of the main things the hoses have to do to for the manufacturers to get road legality approval

if it has the sleeve but doesnt have the stamp its illegal

all lines must have a collar must be crimped with a certain pressure and every hose is pressure tested to 3000psi

They look nice & shiny but tbh any performance gain is absolutely minimal in my experience

They look nice & shiny but tbh any performance gain is absolutely minimal in my experience

Agreed.

Unless your existing hoses are damaged, there are better things to spend your money on (decent pads, good fluid).

Biggest benefit is bragging rights.

:lol:

Give Hans a call at NZ performance Tuning, he has a set of Forge Braided lines coming in for my car.

http://www.nzperformancetuning.co.nz/

I have no idea what legal but my car has a low volume cert for braided lines so im good.

Performance gains, maybe not but pedal feel was greatly improved from my experiences with them.