Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Iphone help.

Ok guys so my old phone which was a htc touch hd was pissing me off no end with its lack of signal strength so I decided to upgrade phones. I bought a second hand (4 months old) 16gb iphone 3gs. I went for this because it was a fraction of the cost of an iphone 4

First thoughts are hmmm ok not to bad but does lack some stuff I would have thought would have been pretty simple like being able to select mp3 ringtone for text's and not having to ssh into the phone or whatever and replace one of the 6 in there. By the way mine is jail broken and on the xt network and firmware 4.3.3 whatever that means.

So i am new to all this iPhone thing and still learning how to drive it, can anybody recommend some cool apps to put on it. I have installed weatherboard is it for theme's , What is a cool theme that people use ??

Any other cool tips or tricks on driving or adding to this thing would be most appreciated.

Edited by M-Spec

You can change the text tones for the iPhone. You have to get the mp3 you want and convert it to a specific file type and then insert it into the directory to trick the iPhone into thinking it is a default tone. Just google it and you should get a bunch to walkthroughs for how to do it.

Edited by kevinator9

You can change the text tones for the iPhone. You have to get the mp3 you want and convert it to a specific file type and then insert it into the directory to trick the iPhone into thinking it is a default tone. Just google it and you should get a bunch to walkthroughs for how to do it.

Yup already had a look at that and looks pretty easy, Would have thought you could just assign something to it though, Hell you can do that sort of thing on a $100 phone lol.

Edited by M-Spec

Yup already had a look at that and looks pretty easy, Would have thought you could just assign something to it though, Hell you can do that sort of thing on a $100 phone lol.

Apple suck like that, i found to change the text tone was a mission, ringtones were not so bad!

How about your signal strength? my 3gs (+ the 2 replacements) had the worst reception ever

If Apple just got along with Microsoft the iphone would be heaps better!!!

If Apple just got along with Microsoft the iphone would be heaps better!!!

It's called the Samsung Galaxy S :P

The RingTones app is good. It makes it slightly easier than the way through iTunes which is pretty easy. You should also get viber, skype and Facebook if you're so inclined.

My iphone 4 has terrible reception, calls drop so often its rediculous.

Get angry birds,fruit ninja etc :D

Ok guys so my old phone which was a htc touch hd was pissing me off no end with its lack of signal strength so I decided to upgrade phones. I bought a second hand (4 months old) 16gb iphone 3gs. I went for this because it was a fraction of the cost of an iphone 4

First thoughts are hmmm ok not to bad but does lack some stuff I would have thought would have been pretty simple like being able to select mp3 ringtone for text's and not having to ssh into the phone or whatever and replace one of the 6 in there. By the way mine is jail broken and on the xt network and firmware 4.3.3 whatever that means.

So i am new to all this iPhone thing and still learning how to drive it, can anybody recommend some cool apps to put on it. I have installed weatherboard is it for theme's , What is a cool theme that people use ??

Any other cool tips or tricks on driving or adding to this thing would be most appreciated.

themes go to cydia and browse themes selection, or search for lockscreens,sliders eg bmw, etc etc

springtomise

ringtones you can assign in the contacts app,text tones you need the tonefx 2.0 app which can assign different text tones to each contact or better still is the anyring app that lets you assign ring and text tones to individuals from the itunes library on the phone,any song you have on there and yoy can set the start and end point as well rather than just start at the beginning of the song

sbsettings is a must

iblacklist is cool

sky app is a must for programming your mysky away from home

install0us 4

appcake

Tlert is a must have for me view and reply to your txts without unlocking your phone

ifunbox for your pc to transfer stuff in and out of phone

ifile lets you use memory sticks etc

tvout genie

airview

yourtube lets you save youtube clips

It's called the Samsung Galaxy S :P

:lol: The missus has one! imo Android is terrible and the apps are just not as good/fun, she spends more time messing around on my i4 than hers!

My iphone 4 has terrible reception, calls drop so often its rediculous.

Had the same issue with mine, fix? went to 2 degrees! i get really good coverage now...often better than XT

My vodafone i4 reception is pretty shitty too. My olds on xt is so much better. +1 angry birds: seasons

Assigning a simple MP3 as a ringtone or text is a mission so I cant be bothered lol.

You can do it with a $99 Nokia easy enough. I cannot fathom how a phone worth >1k cant do it simply and easily!

As for reception, average on my 3GS. Not sure if its the phone or Voda to be fair. Im going with Voda thou.

Had my iPhone just over a year and have F all apps. Here are a few I use quite a bit.

Skype & Viber - Viber is good but made for every country but NZ where mobile internet usage is unlimited.

Sky TV - Only just been released but seems to work well. Can view the channel guide and remote book programs if you have mysky.

Remote - When listening to itunes on laptop, computer, tv, stereo etc you can control it thru your iPhone over a wireless network.

Soundhound - Dont know a song? Now you do!

Dropbox - Cant be bothered explaining lol Check it out.

Then there's the usual - Trade Me, Facebook, Stuff, Vodafone etc etc.

Edited by 3 SERIES

I can also suggest Shazam which is good for identifying songs that are playing.

I suppose it's much the same as Soundhound but I've never used that.

I'd Recommend jailbreaking it, did it to my iPhone 4 and it's way less crap now :) once jailbroken iPhones are very capable and easier to personalize/f**k with in ways that Steve jobs doesn't approve of.

Had the same issue with mine, fix? went to 2 degrees! i get really good coverage now...often better than XT

Good to know. I'm getting the fark away from Vodafone as soon as my 3 months of double mins are used up.