Sign in to follow this  
KwS

White fog and parklight bulbs for e36?

Hi

Ive got an e36 coupe. It came with very white headlight bulbs installed, but now the yellow fogs and park lights bother me.

Anyone got any recommendations for good bulbs (i still want decent light output) for the fogs, and something (maybe led) for the parks? Im weary of using random trademe leds as i dont want to be getting check control bulb errors.

They must be white though, not yellow or blue.

Edited by KwS

Just purchased some stupidly expensive narva "white" bulbs from ripco. Turns out I already have osram blue bulbs in there, so the narva ones make no difference. The headlights are almost a blue tinge to the white

In terms of DRLs/Park bulbs, I would go with LED if you want to achieve a good clean 'white' look. However, in our E46 (not sure if same in E36) the LEDs (although they threw no error) would strobe each time the LCM sends recheck because the LEDs don't require that much power to get them going.

However, in saying that, I have seen LED bulbs on TM which seemed to be aimed at those wishing to place the bulbs in their DRLs so I dunno if those ones strobe or not.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=190

Would this product be suitable/legal for NZ?

The part seems to be the same for fogs, low beam and high beam.

I currently have angel eyes which are white, and regular bulbs which are the standard off-white/yellowish colour and it doesn't really suit.

FYI: Anybody planning on buying something from that side, use the coupon code ZXRCX111 for 10% off.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=190

Would this product be suitable/legal for NZ?

The part seems to be the same for fogs, low beam and high beam.

I currently have angel eyes which are white, and regular bulbs which are the standard off-white/yellowish colour and it doesn't really suit.

This is not a super white bulb but a high out-put normal colour bulb. I haven't use this specific model myself, but Philips brand are good quality and I've used a few of their other ones and are all ok. These high output bulbs trade longevity for output, I never had any high output bulb lasted longer than 1 year on me.

It's E-marked so it should be legal for NZ. (though I doubt a WOF inspector will actually look for this)

I run a set of Phillips bluevision in my fog lights.

I have to say I couldn't really tell the difference to the factory blubs past the amount of weight taken from my wallet.

They are good, but another colour than standard yellow/white? not really. Only minimally more white at best.

If anyone actually finds a good WHITE blub that doesn't throw error's I will be interested too.

edit: I do run the phillips power extreme for my high beams however, I can't rate these high enough!

Edited by M5V8

about to change mine ... you can code the LCM to not scan the fogs however its handy to know.

I have Narva Platinium.. seem very white.

100 bucks for a pair of H1's though D:

im actually thinking of getting rid of the osram bulbs i have in my headlights and going for something better. They look awesome, being so white, but the light output it crap at best.

Recommendations for high/low beam bulbs that are whiter than standard, but have damn good light output? The narva bulbs i tried in my fogs were no better, but not sure what model they were.

The Platiniums seem ok.

I find my cars low beam to be quite lacking.

Pity we can't do Illegal HID swaps like the Amerifags do :(

Its still illegal to run HIDs, even though i have the factory projector lights and manual height adjustment isnt it? Something to do with not coming factory fitted?

Would love HID, they're just so much brighter.

Its still illegal to run HIDs, even though i have the factory projector lights and manual height adjustment isnt it? Something to do with not coming factory fitted?

Would love HID, they're just so much brighter.

Yes, you can't change them.

Apparently there is E36's with factory HID. you could retrofit if one ever became for sale.

Hella actually used to make a replacement HID headlight assembly for e36 that uses H2S headlight complete with burner (bulb) and ballast set and it uses halogen H7 high beam. Part number 1AL 008 875-821.

yeah, know about the hella hid lights, only issue is that they are retardedly expensive, and ugly as sin. Want to keep the factory lights.

The later Bosch headlamp units has a better optical cut-off line even with aftermarket HID fitted (vs earlier using ZKW). Still illegal though, might be able to get away if you hide the ballast well.