Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Where to get the car serviced

Was looking for places in Auckland that you'd recommend to service your car, I had mine serviced at BM Workshop after hearing great things from other members and hte service well wasnt wat I expected from all the recommendations I had heard.

Well took my car into BM Workshop the other day. It was in for a basic $180 oil service and they said that it will need to stay over night as one of the suspension arms needed replacing. After talking with them over the phone for a good 10 mins

I found out there were the following extra problems with the car.

- Suspension problem in the front left

- Windscreen wipers were crap brand ones and were falling to pieces.

- Wheels needed alligning

- Radiator needed flushing

- Busted T-Valve on the windwashers.

After talking I told the man to just go ahead with the work. Anyway non of the above work was done other than the t-valve and suspension.

They had my car for two full days 9am Thursday - 5pm Friday.

Before having it serviced I asked them to have a look at two problems, none of which they came back to me with an answer. The heater has been disconnected because an we were wondering if they could examine whether the heatervalve / core had been broken.

After having hte car serviced I noticed there was some notes on the bottom saying various things that hadnt been fixed on there.. and basically he had listed the price for a new heater tap with no idea what was wrong with ti. After emailing him he explained to me the tap was cracked and that they didnt know if htere was any problem with the core.

To top it off I now have to take it back to get the other work done, wait another 3 weeks like I did first time, and after leaving my car in for two days covered in dust and mud from the weeks driving before it was still covered in crap when i picked it up... surely they could have cleaned it :(.

Edited by E30stz

My experience tells me if you think you're being shafted go somewhere else.

You can replace your own window wipers. *If you can't do that yourself then you have serious issues.

You can flush your own radiator quite easily, see * above.

Any tyre place can do wheel alignments and I wouldn't be surprised (as I don't know BMWorkshop) if they outsourced wheel alignments to a tyre shop nearby.

Carl was just more they had it for so long, just that they told me about this and I told them to go right ahead and do the work.

haha learn to do it yourself...if you spend money on stupid little things like that, you wont have any for when stuff really does go wrong

when i got my old one, i didnt really know sh*t...my personal motto is start unbolting sh*t, and then bolt it back in the same way......its the only way i can afford to own an e30!

Wheres the best place to purchase BMW parts at a reasonable price for self installation.

Whats happening with ur car gus ?.

Cheers

Andy.

Edited by E30stz

Wheres the best place to purchase BMW parts at a reasonable price for self installation.

Depends on the part, BNT, Road&Track, Ripco or Supercheap, SKF or Saeco, for non-genuine BMW parts otherwise try wreckers for 2nd hand or $tealers for genuine such as BMW Service centres, BM Warehouse/Mosens, SD European, etc... Edited by ///Carl

Ive had my car for 40k, and i have always had it serviced at Jerry Claytons, they are no more expensive than the bmw service centre at home in Kerikeri, and always do a good job bla bla bla...

oh yeah and Claytons have a special on oil and basic service at the mo- its like $110 or something

What gus said.

PS; what gus said

he is not asking for your opinion on wether he should do it himself,he is asking for a good place to take it.

Three weeks for how many hours work?There must be more to it!

I had mine done at Jerrys too, they are pretty awesome.

The special oil service is $119 for 4 cyc and $139 for 6 cyc

The oil special doesn't do same work that they do in a "formal" oil service, they didn't tell me what they don't do though. Having said that, the day they had my car, they are so not busy and ended up giving my car a standard service at the special price.

Can some tell me what you get for your $120 or $140? What else do you get besides 30min labour, $8 filter and 4L of oil?

in my case about 6 or 7 l of castrol synthetic an oil flter and a car clean,its hardly worth driving to repco....I took our little daihatsu to the toyota dealer..they charged me 100 bucks for the privelige(warranty).An oil service is more than just an oil change tho....

Can some tell me what you get for your $120 or $140? What else do you get besides 30min labour, $8 filter and 4L of oil?

well, it took them 3 hours to do my car

and 6.5 litre if you have 6 cyc.

Anyway, they gave it a good overall check. (little more throughout than a WOF)

Lube all hinges, catches, etc....

Very clean car wash (if I have known how "clean" they cleaned it, I wouldn't have let them do it. So cleaned, my wax are gone! I have to wax the car again....)

Maybe a few little things that I don't realise underneath the car...

Reset Service Counter and do DME code-read

IMO, worth the money.