Sign in to follow this  
Sheep

Diff shafts keep coming out?

The inner cv's i geuss you'd call them i'm unsure but either way was being an idiot lastnight did a skid diff went bang and now when ever i turn corners the diff shafts pop out about a inch from the actually Diff housing

Mechanic up the road said it was the circlips are gone or some jazz I'm unsure anyone around central mind popping in and having a look i dont know stuff all about Diffs lol

Any help welcome

Other than that does the diff make any noises etc? These small case diffs blow up all the time if you abuse them. Replace it with a medium case.

makes a loud clunking sound when turning corners

Edit*

Car still drives with the diff like this its very rough however

Edited by Sheep

just make sure the axles go fully back in

pushed them in fully and they click in but very very lose hence why the mechanic said its prob the circlips he said try pulling them out and taking them off and putting them back on it might sort them,

But i dont have any tools as they were in my other car that just got stolen D:

Edited by Sheep

I did the same thing a few months back.

diff did the exact same thing, so i just replaced it, only cost $100 for the diff itself and did the work myself, not too hard to do.

hope it was at least a good skid... mine wasnt <_<

good luck bro

EDIT* my axles didnt pop out though (not that i know of anyway), diff was just making horrible noises and the whole car clunked when going round corers, the teeth on some of the gears in the diff were just gone

Edited by Sam93

I did the same thing a few months back.

diff did the exact same thing, so i just replaced it, only cost $100 for the diff itself and did the work myself, not too hard to do.

hope it was at least a good skid... mine wasnt <_<

good luck bro

EDIT* my axles didnt pop out though (not that i know of anyway), diff was just making horrible noises and the whole car clunked when going round corers, the teeth on some of the gears in the diff were just gone

nah was a sh*t skid lol ground was too grippy so it just went bang lol Its okay tho i did a new curb to curb ones outside a mates house haha.

back on track.

I spoke to ray ( HellBM) And he's going to hook me up a diff for around 150 or so going to get it next week, Should i stick with the same type of diff or upgrade or what

Get a medium case diff, change ratio is up to you.

Your diff is f**ked, I did the same thing to mine (not doing a skid tho). Mine was very clunky and any power applied it would slip, would skip around corners. It had split the ring gear carrier in two, when applying power the spider gears would push it apart and the spiders would slip. Had a few teeth missing aswell.

Whats the diffrence between Med case and small?

Medium case is bigger and stronger, came in 325i.

316, 318, 320 all got the small case. The medium case will bolt right in.

I found a heap of metal shards in my small case 4.45 after it had been behind a 2.5 for a year...

I had a similar problem in my e36 afew months back. Was going round a tight bend in the wet

and lifted inside wheel n when the lsd grabed it went bang and broke a tooth off the spider gear

that jammed between the end of the axle and diff centre and popped the axle out. Thort it was just

the clips too but not that lucky :( still havnt got the diff rebuild yet... Doesnt clunk anymore

since i got the broken tooth out and still drives sweet haha. Should really get it done tho...

Earlier 323's had the medium cases as well. I destroyed a medium case whilst simply engine braking but there was history with that case - it got inverted in the targa ;-)