Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 using 15l/100km!

Hello people,

My car has been trouble free for a long time now and is holding up well, over the last week i noticed that it was using alot of gas. My driving is all around town and about 70% is calm and 30% is aggressive and currently i use 15l per 100km. This seems like way to much my mates twin turbo uses this amount with him thrashing it all the time!!!

I checked all fuel lines and ensured injectors are seated correctly and all looks well, no cracks are present in fuel lines etc. one thing i did notice is a rust hole in exhaust near the top of the manifold area. Would this have any impact on fuel efficiency? I have also noticed the car has been surging when you put the foot to the floor going like 55k in gear 4 it will make a sound that kind of sounds like urrghhurrrgghurrrggh. I know my descriptions are vague but someone might have encounted something similar :)

I run it on 95 all the time and sometimes even 98 if im in lower hutt.

I talked to the guy at repco about it and he said a new fuel filter and a bottle of injector cleaner would set you away laughing but i feel as though there is something else is going on.

Any Suggestions would be much appreciated

Cheers

Mitch

Edited by Mitch Wakefield

Mine uses about 11-12, to give you an idea how it should be running. Thats a 1985 320i, and running mostly city driving (Pizza Delivery), doing 500+kms a week, consistently averaging the same.

Thats a mix of 5th gear cruising, and a decent bit of thrashing cos I'm the quickest driver and damn proud of it! (Not speeding, just agressive acceleration lol).

Definitely sounds like something is wrong.

Mine does too.

Really? was talking to my dad about it just then and went out to his 635csi and his OBC indicated 11l/100km. Miserable feeling to know a gutless 2l uses more than a 3.5l lol

Mine uses about 11-12, to give you an idea how it should be running. Thats a 1985 320i, and running mostly city driving (Pizza Delivery), doing 500+kms a week, consistently averaging the same.

Thats a mix of 5th gear cruising, and a decent bit of thrashing cos I'm the quickest driver and damn proud of it! (Not speeding, just agressive acceleration lol).

Definitely sounds like something is wrong.

I am a pizza delivery driver as well funnily enough, and yeah deliver in my e30 :) I do roughly 300-400km a week and cruise in 5th gear going 50k. I tend not to thrash it too much as the customers food usually ends up on the floor upside down lol. Dominos or Pizza Hutt?

I am a pizza delivery driver as well funnily enough, and yeah deliver in my e30 :) I do roughly 300-400km a week and cruise in 5th gear going 50k. I tend not to thrash it too much as the customers food usually ends up on the floor upside down lol. Dominos or Pizza Hutt?

Dominos Porirua. Well up til thursday last week at least haha. Should also do somewhere between 8 or 9 on the open road. My subaru legacy rs twin turbo did the exact same fuel mileage as the E30 does <_<

However the E30 is tonnes cheaper to fix!! And more reliable too :D.

Also, if the hotcell starts on the floor it cant end up on the floor upside down ;).

firstly yes a exhaust leak will do some of it .

also check for any vaccum leaks around intake system (all the vac hoses and intake pipes)

engine running lean will mean you have to put your foot it to it more just to keep it going.

faulty fuel pressure reg , check if there is fuel in the vac hose that plugs into it.

the main things that effect fuel when driving is the air flow meter (these wear out over time)

the resistance track wears out and will increase fueling.

also the engine temp sensor the one that tells the ecu how hot the engine is , if its not working or has a bad connection ,broken wires etc etc it will tell the ecu that the engine is cold and the ecu will deliver more fuel.

test by running engine when warm and unplug the temp sensor (blue plug) and see if the engine starts to stumble etc

also basic maintance like a clean air filter and new spark plugs , Ht leads ,dizzy cap and rotor etc all these things need to be in good order.

Dominos Porirua. Well up til thursday last week at least haha. Should also do somewhere between 8 or 9 on the open road. My subaru legacy rs twin turbo did the exact same fuel mileage as the E30 does <_<

However the E30 is tonnes cheaper to fix!! And more reliable too :D.

Also, if the hotcell starts on the floor it cant end up on the floor upside down ;).

Dominos Upper Hutt for me :) Hotcell chills on the front seat and usually some hard braking and some decent corner taking will see it on the floor in no time :). Amanda needs to give us more gas money!!!

Dominos Upper Hutt for me :) Hotcell chills on the front seat and usually some hard braking and some decent corner taking will see it on the floor in no time :). Amanda needs to give us more gas money!!!

I've been telling her that for 3 years. Good luck. She just changed us from a zoned system back to a fixed rate, gave me $30 more a week :D. You've got it good out there though, smaller delivery area then us and some of the best management. Chris is the man. We have Vanessa running our store now (Amandas lackey) <_<

firstly yes a exhaust leak will do some of it .

also check for any vaccum leaks around intake system (all the vac hoses and intake pipes)

engine running lean will mean you have to put your foot it to it more just to keep it going.

faulty fuel pressure reg , check if there is fuel in the vac hose that plugs into it.

the main things that effect fuel when driving is the air flow meter (these wear out over time)

the resistance track wears out and will increase fueling.

also the engine temp sensor the one that tells the ecu how hot the engine is , if its not working or has a bad connection ,broken wires etc etc it will tell the ecu that the engine is cold and the ecu will deliver more fuel.

test by running engine when warm and unplug the temp sensor (blue plug) and see if the engine starts to stumble etc

also basic maintance like a clean air filter and new spark plugs , Ht leads ,dizzy cap and rotor etc all these things need to be in good order.

Cheers for your help!! Ok i can eliminate AFM as i replaced it about 3 weeks ago and havent seem a problem since. I will have a check of vaccum leads and fuel regulators and will defiantly give that blue temp sensor an unplug and see if i get a stumble etc.

Thanks

Mitchell

I've been telling her that for 3 years. Good luck. She just changed us from a zoned system back to a fixed rate, gave me $30 more a week :D. You've got it good out there though, smaller delivery area then us and some of the best management. Chris is the man. We have Vanessa running our store now (Amandas lackey) <_<

Yeah Chris is a good guy :) true i wondered where the f**k Vanessa had been lol.

Well looks as though my temp sender is fine, took car for a drive today came back and unplugged it and stumbled for about a second then turned off compeltely. Plugged back in and started it up and went fine. Will have a look over vaccum lines this weekend and fix up the exhaust and see how it goes :)

Well looks as though my temp sender is fine, took car for a drive today came back and unplugged it and stumbled for about a second then turned off compeltely. Plugged back in and started it up and went fine. Will have a look over vaccum lines this weekend and fix up the exhaust and see how it goes :)

did you check the fuel pressure regulator ?? pull the vac line off and see if there is fuel coming out there.

also how old and worn are the spark plugs , have you check or replace/cleaned the air filter .

whats the condition of the dizzy cap and rotor how much wear in those??

^^ Listen he speaks the truth, Its what was wrong with mine and i had the same symptoms as yours.

would a perished FPR vacuum hose cause bad fuel consumption and "stalling" symptoms?

would a perished FPR vacuum hose cause bad fuel consumption and "stalling" symptoms?

any vac leak will cause running and salling problems.

but if the fuel pressure reg is not getting its vaccum it will not deliver the correct amount of fuel pressure at certain revs etc

did you check the fuel pressure regulator ?? pull the vac line off and see if there is fuel coming out there.

also how old and worn are the spark plugs , have you check or replace/cleaned the air filter .

whats the condition of the dizzy cap and rotor how much wear in those??

Was flat out today and real busy, however replaced my plugs when brought car so they are pretty new.

Now fuel pressure reguator is fuel free, the one on the right of the photo is the one i checked. The fuel line that looks to go to the top part of the inlet manifold with thing in the middle am i supposed to check that as well?:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/upload.../photo-6508.jpg

Air filter is in ok condition, will most likely change it with next oil change