Sign in to follow this  
selvannair

1998 E36 M3

Hi All.

What are your thoughts (price, model, condition, etc) on this M3? I'm just concerned about the SMG though...as I would definately prefer a clutch!

Anyways, I checked it out today and it is in better condition than described in the ad. Also - does anyone know this vehicle?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...384876010"]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=384876010

Edited by Dr. Dré

Been for sale a long time. Ad is flawed. Car shoud be 5 or 6 speed manual 3.2 lt six cyl. K's are good and looks in good nick. Rare colour. Top $ though. Worth a look.

Looks like it's a SMG gearbox

Been for sale a long time. Ad is flawed. Car shoud be 5 or 6 speed manual 3.2 lt six cyl. K's are good and looks in good nick. Rare colour. Top $ though. Worth a look.

Hi Wayney. Thanks for your reply.

Its definately a SMG with no bloody clutch. Thats the only down side to this vehicle - well for me. I feel that the joy of driving this car is really determined/limited by the SMG settings whereas the manual...you could do as you please. The ride was bloody awesome though. Really smooth changing of gears as well.

Bump, yeah sorry mistake, was thrown by four cylinder engine claim. Didn't this trans have issues?

Apparently so. But I'm hoping that having low mileage that the thing aint gonna cause any trouble soon. But still nerve wrecking though.

Hi Selvan, not to clued on them, but members here will know! Looks a nice car must say. Your not related to Nick are you?

I'd seen that and marvelled at the km too. My opinion - it would be a good price if the low km mean its in well above avg condition ... but the SMG reduces value significantly so I'm not surprised it hasn't sold (ie I think its a touch high for an SMG).

You could always convert to 3 pedals - I've got a getrag 6spd with everything (I think) you'd need except the trim around the stick, the gear knob and master cylinder (ie, I have the box, mount, prop shaft, linkages / shift cradle, slave cylinder and hard line, pedals). Would sell for $1750.

I also have a '96 M3 sedan in Byzanz Metallic (<140k km, NZ new, 6 spd, I've replaced/upgraded a lot of parts) which I should sell as I've bought a new car, so if you're feeling like a sedan... send me a PM.

HallBM could convert this to manual for you as is .. no second gearbox needed.

Would just need a recode to elminate the SMG control unit.

Interesting - I didn't know that could be done. Are many bits needed?

Hi Selvan, not to clued on them, but members here will know! Looks a nice car must say. Your not related to Nick are you?

No - not related to any Nick. Is he a member here?

I'd seen that and marvelled at the km too. My opinion - it would be a good price if the low km mean its in well above avg condition ... but the SMG reduces value significantly so I'm not surprised it hasn't sold (ie I think its a touch high for an SMG).

You could always convert to 3 pedals - I've got a getrag 6spd with everything (I think) you'd need except the trim around the stick, the gear knob and master cylinder (ie, I have the box, mount, prop shaft, linkages / shift cradle, slave cylinder and hard line, pedals). Would sell for $1750.

I also have a '96 M3 sedan in Byzanz Metallic (<140k km, NZ new, 6 spd, I've replaced/upgraded a lot of parts) which I should sell as I've bought a new car, so if you're feeling like a sedan... send me a PM.

Will give it a thought. Thank you.

Make sure you look at the the front right hand guard im sure this car use to be in Christchurch and was sold as $1 reserve as it had a smash one the front right [the guard is a fully yellow] Just a heads up

Make sure you look at the the front right hand guard im sure this car use to be in Christchurch and was sold as $1 reserve as it had a smash one the front right [the guard is a fully yellow] Just a heads up

This car is from Whangarei and has had a lady driver since imported - the SMG box has had recent work as well so should be good to go. It is a good car and has been well looked after.

This car is from Whangarei and has had a lady driver since imported - the SMG box has had recent work as well so should be good to go. It is a good car and has been well looked after.

Not to be rude but I always find it hard to believe a lady drove this?

Not to be rude but I always find it hard to believe a lady drove this?

We bought our M3 primarily for my wife to drive. She would probably think you were being rude . . . . :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone that has commented! Much appreciated! After much deliberation - I have decided against taking this vehicle for the simple reason I am not keen on the SMG. I think it would be really dumb forking out that kind of money for a toy that I hope to get used to!!! No offence to those who drive the original SMG but I feel anything with an M badge should have a clutch.

I am not sure about any damages to this vehicle. I believe that I have thoroughly checked the vehicle and if it was damaged then whoever did the repair needs a medal of some sort! Secondly, the drive this vehicle gave did reflect one which you would expect from an example with such mileage. This would be a good buy for an enthusiast who battles the Auckland traffic on a daily basis or a pressie for the wife which you could borrow on those track days!

Out of interest (you other e36 M3 owners out there can help) is it normal for the oil sediment indicator to stay on when the ignition is on. I think thats what that light is in the photo with the service indicator.

I work with the owner of this car at Air NZ engineering. Maintained to perfection!

I work with the owner of this car at Air NZ engineering. Maintained to perfection!

Haha, do you happen to know Allan Foote?

O.o whats wrong with that M3?

wouldnt know , looks mint !!!

just that guy with bartercard point asks alot of ppl on trademe over and over again