Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

E36 318is Motorsport advice

My Lady is wanting to get a new car, shes keen on a Golf Mk4 GTI, and Im trying to talk her into a E36 318is Motorsport which I think Im bringing her around to, no turbo to worry about, and a chain over a cambelt etc.

Anyway is there anthing to look out for on these models?

Is there anything to worry about seeing as howthe were built in South Africa? Any odd ball parts?

Also, does anyone know what brand the factory shocks are for this model?

Any advice is appreciated.

My Lady is wanting to get a new car, shes keen on a Golf Mk4 GTI, and Im trying to talk her into a E36 318is Motorsport which I think Im bringing her around to, no turbo to worry about, and a chain over a cambelt etc.

Anyway is there anthing to look out for on these models?

Is there anything to worry about seeing as howthe were built in South Africa? Any odd ball parts?

Also, does anyone know what brand the factory shocks are for this model?

Any advice is appreciated.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E36/

Shows BOGE as the brand when you look up the part number on pelicanparts.

Make sure you take the car to be inspected at a BMW workshop or a dealership as AA tends to have trouble knowing the quirks with euros...

I may have an e36 318is for sale in the next couple of weeks. Burgundy, MANUAL, black leather. Not a minter, but tidy enough, and priced for a quick sale. Let me know if you want to know more. Daughter has decided she really wants a touring....

Just like the 6 cylinders some suspension parts are known to be quite worn when they get up in the k's.

Rear control arm bushes, rear shock mounts and front control arm bushes are the most comman

Rubber seals in the windows and door handles die. Not

Cooling systems have problems. Not sure of the specifics on the 4 cylinders

You'll be able to find all the parts at http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/index.htm. Theres plenty of stuff in NZ as well.

Just like the 6 cylinders some suspension parts are known to be quite worn when they get up in the k's.

Rear control arm bushes, rear shock mounts and front control arm bushes are the most comman

Rubber seals in the windows and door handles die. Not

Cooling systems have problems. Not sure of the specifics on the 4 cylinders

You'll be able to find all the parts at http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/index.htm. Theres plenty of stuff in NZ as well.

Only thing you need worry about with the M44 is the cooling system, most of it is recycled plastic that doesn't approve to heat. The earlier ones had alloy bits such as thermostat housing, water inlets etc.

Fairly nice cars, come in some neat colours too.

Only thing you need worry about with the M44 is the cooling system, most of it is recycled plastic that doesn't approve to heat. The earlier ones had alloy bits such as thermostat housing, water inlets etc.

Fairly nice cars, come in some neat colours too.

If you have a Fiji Green one come into work, you call me!

Haha believe it or not i replaced a rocker gasket on an 318is yesterday that was fiji green and is now Daker, bits of fiji green starting to come through.

Haha believe it or not i replaced a rocker gasket on an 318is yesterday that was fiji green and is now Daker, bits of fiji green starting to come through.

Where was the paint flaking off Greg, the only Dakar Yellow ones I've seen locally have all looked very tidy.

Where was the paint flaking off Greg, the only Dakar Yellow ones I've seen locally have all looked very tidy.

Rear bumper and r/r quater panel, it's six different shades of yellow, only done 130ish kms, resides in Havelock.

Fiji Green is my pick, but the GF hates it . . .

Rear bumper and r/r quater panel, it's six different shades of yellow, only done 130ish kms, resides in Havelock.

Thanks for that. It's not the one you guys sold about 18 months ago? Didn't stick around long?

Edited by Golfboy666GTI

Nah don't think so, this lady seems to enjoy it alot, Cool little cars.

And my Lady is now the proud owner of a NZ new 318is Motorsport.

Im off to pick it up on Friday.

And my Lady is now the proud owner of a NZ new 318is Motorsport.

Im off to pick it up on Friday.

Good buy, she'll enjoy it.

Good buy, she'll enjoy it.

Yip, you should see it around a bit as shes lives in Napier and works in Hastings.

Oh yeah, what colour?

really nice car mate. Best colour IMO.

How's your RS2 ? got a pic of that?

does it still go okay? they are pretty rare these days. They were off the scale back in the day.

My dad had a S4 but there was an RS2 down the road and it was super quick!

really nice car mate. Best colour IMO.

How's your RS2 ? got a pic of that?

does it still go okay? they are pretty rare these days. They were off the scale back in the day.

My dad had a S4 but there was an RS2 down the road and it was super quick!

I love my RS2. Next month Ive owned it for 3 years, and honestly everytime it gets on boost I have a giggle to myself.

They are very rare, only 180 RHD built (of about a 2000 total), 14 were sold new in NZ at around $180,000 back in 1995.

Here is a pic of the RS2:

Posted Image

Looks great!

Thanks, the girlfriend loves it, it handled very well on the way home over the Napier-Taupo in the rain.