Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

GTR issues

Second topic in a row that doesn't contain BMW but ohwell, i'm sure we'll all live. :P

Got an R32 GTR skyline in at work, (one of the boys), car runs fine etc but has no boost what so ever, can hear the turbos spoolong when reving so that eliminates the exhaust impeller problem(common problem?).

Haven't really had a descent look at it, will do tomorrow, i know there's a few people on here that have them, anyone know of common boost problems with these?

No boost at all means either the turbo(s) is (are) broken (and you think not); the wastegate (both?) are stuck open; or there is a massive boost leak (or I guess possible exhaust leak) and/or possibly bung bypass valve.

I guess its also possible the electro boost control is telling it not to boost and to hold the wastegates open.

Is it modified?

Edited by CamB

Not sure how gtr's are put together, but first thing I'd look for is a pipe that's blown off or a ripped pipe (if it's plastic).

Back when friends and I had modified turbo cars, a pipe blowing off was reasonably common.

Right, had a good check over today and found the fault, noticed both wastegates were staying open when started and reved etc, so we traced through the thousand of vacum hoses, everything seemed to be in order, by the way the car and engine were very modified so there were vacum hoses blocked off here and there but wasn't too concerned as the boosting just happened to stop three years ago and hadn't been touched since, anyway noticed that the hose going to the intake plenum was sucking in when reved so we removed the blow off valve on the otherside of the intercooler and started the car, plenty of boost coming through there so the problem was inbetween the blow off valve and the intake plenum, removed the bumper, removed the intercooler and what do you know.......a rag stuck in the intercooler!!!!! This fault occurred a few years ago and went straight into storage ever since, i decided to have a look at it yesterday as i was quite curious to see what i could find. Noone knows how it could have got there as the system was never opened up?

Went for a quick burst in it afterwards, has to be the quickest car i've ever driven! Just insane, they sure live up to their name of godzilla. As i say it was very modified, 0-100 in just over three seconds.

wouldn't believe how many stories ive heard about rags in intercoolers! haha i think its quite common!!

wouldn't believe how many stories ive heard about rags in intercoolers! haha i think its quite common!!

Funny thing is he's owned it and driven it for a long time, must have got unstuck one day when on boost and went straight into the intercooler.

Also, what's the standerd boost sopossed to be at? This is currently boosting at 29.3psi.

thats pretty much 2 bar ... obviously had a lot of work done to it to run that safely

Surely not standerd, seems to be fine running that, runs on 105 octane with octane booster, might help a bit.

Know one knows, it did have the L/F guard replaced and may have had the turbo pipes removed so whether someone put rags in the turbos to keep paint dust etc out? This was five years ago though.

Also, what's the standerd boost sopossed to be at? This is currently boosting at 29.3psi.

Standard boost from memory is about 10psi.

10? That's f**k all, 19 psi more than standerd is quite alot.

To even achieve that boost level it would need to have upgraded turbos etc.

Standard boost is 0.7bar = 10.1psi so wasn't too far off :P

What is the chances of seeing this on a dyno? Or at least some pics? I have a early nineties Japanese car fetish.

yeah what Gaz said, love early 90's jap stuff.. makes me wonder why I own 2 BMW's haha

ive had to upgrade just about everything to safely run 23psi.

@ 29 it must have been seriously modified or it's a hand grenade in waiting....

at a guess touching 500kw?

To even achieve that boost level it would need to have upgraded turbos etc.

Not sure about the turbos but the internals aren't standerd, not sure about the ECU either?

Standard boost is 0.7bar = 10.1psi so wasn't too far off :P

What is the chances of seeing this on a dyno? Or at least some pics? I have a early nineties Japanese car fetish.

The car is still at work so can grab some pics on monday.

ive had to upgrade just about everything to safely run 23psi.

@ 29 it must have been seriously modified or it's a hand grenade in waiting....

at a guess touching 500kw?

I was hoping you would see this Darren, by just looking at the engine bay it looks standerd except for the blow off valve and the two pods, it may well be a hand grenade waiting to go boom? Seems to handle the boost at the moment, i only did that once due to the shear fear of poping it, i'm not sure what power it has, would have to be 500bhp at least. 100kph in a little over three seconds is madness. Edited by Greg.

Right i have pics of said car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also wound the boost down to 15psi for obvious reasons.