Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Lowering e36 front suspension- can it be done via the top hats?

Maybe a stupid question but I was wondering....Can I take a bit of height out of the front top hats to lower the car 1cm or maybe 2cm?, Does anyone sell such a top hat? as I have seen something similar for rear shocks. Reason I ask is the e30 has already got the front shocks fully wound down and if I take any more out of the shock its going to lack travel.

Edited by Jamez

I've heard of people using E90 top hats on E30's, supposedily lower another 15mm.

Mixed opinion as to whether its a good idea or not...

Unsure about E36 top hats? Are they all similar?

If you order some, I'll take a set too though :P

BMW PN: 31 33 6 764 093

I've heard of people using E90 top hats on E30's, supposedily lower another 15mm.

Mixed opinion as to whether its a good idea or not...

Unsure about E36 top hats? Are they all similar?

If you order some, I'll take a set too though :P

BMW PN: 31 33 6 764 093

My e30 can fit either e30 or e36 tophats as I have had both type on it in the past. In terms of e90 top hats I am suspecting that they will lack the camber I am after.

edit - this is what I am after but for the front, also only looking for 1-2cm drop.

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

Can you not just drill the bearing in the top hat so the

shaft can fit through then use a 20mm spacer/washer under the nut?

EDIT - has anyone got some more pics on those rear shock mounts?

I might have a go at making some.

EDIT AGAIN- just realised why you cant do what I said haha

Shock will come through top hat obviously.

If you have access to a lathe you could make the skinny bit by the thread lower

down the shaft and use a spacer maybe?

Edited by Ben

Maybe a stupid question but I was wondering....Can I take a bit of height out of the front top hats to lower the car 1cm or maybe 2cm?, Does anyone sell such a top hat? as I have seen something similar for rear shocks. Reason I ask is the e30 has already got the front shocks fully wound down and if I take any more out of the shock its going to lack travel.

I gather you have coilovers then.

Seems odd you would even be running stock-ish top hats.

Vorshlag or GC camber plates will get you some more height at the top of the strut, as I imagine you are wanting more bump travel out of the front shocks?

The Vorshlag ones would be my pick:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those rear shock mounts are so you can run E36 rear dampers on an E30.

They do nothing for the ride height.

Edited by E30-323ti

I gather you have coilovers then.

Seems odd you would even be running stock-ish top hats.

Vorshlag or GC camber plates will get you some more height at the top of the strut, as I imagine you are wanting more bump travel out of the front shocks?

The Vorshlag ones would be my pick:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those rear shock mounts are so you can run E36 rear dampers on an E30.

They do nothing for the ride height.

I have coilover with some already pretty skinny top hats similar to what you have posted. I was meerly posting the pic of the rear strut as thats the concept I am after.

I guess if I smashed the front top hats so that had a slight bow in the them instead of being dead flat I would achieve lowering the car slightly (or higher depending which way I smashed them) but I feel the structural integrity would somewhat be compromised.

Edited by Jamez

If e30 strut towers are anything like e36 ones they are known to mushroom up with stiff suspension (same effect as bashing them i suppose). They eventually tear.

Cut up the strut tower and weld it higher.

I have coilover with some already pretty skinny top hats similar to what you have posted. I was meerly posting the pic of the rear strut as thats the concept I am after.

I guess if I smashed the front top hats so that had a slight bow in the them instead of being dead flat I would achieve lowering the car slightly (or higher depending which way I smashed them) but I feel the structural integrity would somewhat be compromised.

*shakes head*

'smashing' things is what crashes are for, not a technical or engineering term :lol:

Have a look at some E30 DTM car pics, you will see they have the strut tops mounted above the strut tower.

Obviously the strut towers have some (ie a lot of) strengthening.

Posted Image