Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

What to do...

I've been thinking about changing my headlights for a while now but end up never doing it.

Currently I have standard non-projector headlights which are alright but don't look as good as the projector versions.

I have a facelift e46 318i and was thinking of maybe purchasing these. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-392181885.htm

but they seem a bit pricey and im not sure if I want to spend that much.

Main reason for wanting a change is that the light output from my standard headlights with standard bulbs don't seem to emit enough light and is very poor when its raining.

Another reason is that I wanted angel eyes as well but I could probably install some ccfl ones into my current lights but will still lack the light output. I just want some of your opinions whether the projector lights are worth it.

Cheers

Generally with lights, the more you spend the better the output. I brought some cheap projectors for my e36 which turned out to be a poor choice.

If you want better light output, cheap way would be to take the lense off, clean it, and also replace the bulbs which have a higher output. While the lenses are off you can also chuck some CCFL rings if you want angel eyes.

Are HID kits for E46's legal in NZ? If so, I'd look into getting that for increased visibilty and then some CCFL rings sperately?

May end up being cheaper than paying near to $600 for a whole new unit.

From LTSA Website

High intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust.

Although I thought you had to have washers with HID - May pay to ask a WOF inspector ?

wasn't really planning on an HID kit conversion as i know they are illegal and really annoying for other motorist. At this point I will probably just go with a simple angel eyes installation and maybe try find some better bulbs.

I've also read of some DIY non projector to projector on 46fanatics but i think its a little out of my comfort zone doing that and i assume that would be illegal as well?

Although I thought you had to have washers with HID - May pay to ask a WOF inspector ?

Yes washers are required under the ECE rules for lighting (which is what the most of the worlds vehicle regs are based on). You might have got away with it for SAE marked lamps as their regulations don't require washers - but then they don't have the correct dip profile for RHD cars.

What about speaking to someone like Ray at HellBM for some used genuine parts?

I am not sure about the facelift headlights on TM but pre-facelift ones are alright. Here is my advice:

- The example from TM you linked does not use CCFL/LED angel eyes - each ring has 3 T10 2.3w incandescent bulbs in each which emit the standard 'yellowish color - so if you are wanting white, you will need to retrofit CCFL/60 LED rings. It is possible to replace these T10 with LED equivalents but TBH you get 'hot spotting' and the glow isn't distributed evenly.

- If you are wanting the white angel eye look, keep in mind that if you are going to stay 55w halogen (i.e non HID), that the angel eyes and the low beam bulb with not quite match in color. That being said you can get the 'super white' bulbs from supershit/ripco and they do a better job of getting a closer match when looking from afar.

- As you've said - don't bother with non-proj to proj housing/low beam conversion.

- You can scout on Ebay for headlights too but you/a friend/helper must know what you are looking for, and what to watch out for.

- Due to the fact you've got a FL - as the previous poster said - I'd try for some genuine parts first, it will cost more but save a lot of hassle. You get what you pay for.

Go for the proper xenons lights with autoleveling if you can , I have these in the current car and they are the best headlights i've driven with short of rally car setups. Low beam is great and highbeam is expectional. Down side is you don't get that angel eye look. You might be able to get these second hand via some of the parts suppliers that advertise here.