Sign in to follow this  
briancol

Insurance Company Warning

I had a small bingle with C0SM0S, hit in the rear by another car. There's not much damage to mine, the rear splitter is broken and the bumper has paint knocked off it, so I took it into the panelbeaters and phoned the insurance company and put in a claim.

Everything went well enough until they found I had 18" alloys, so now they are trying to refuse my claim on the grounds of non disclosure.

The 18's I put on were second hand (Cost $1200 on Trade Me) and replaced a set of genuine 16" BMW Motorsport alloys which are probably worth more.

I know Insurance companies are doing it hard at the moment and are looking for every opportunity to save money, but this is ridiculous. The alloys weren't a problem last time I made a claim.

So make sure that your insurance company is advised of any changes you have made to your cars. You don't want the same thing happening to you.

that has nothing to do with the crash?!?!?!

I know, but they maintain that if I had advised them of the 18" I would have had to pay a higher premium even though they are worth less than the original wheels.

I thought they just didn't replace the after-market parts if you didn't disclose them? ie, they'd put stock parts back on or only paid for a stock part.

Probably need to disclose all my parts...

There is nothing wrong with my wheels, the only damage is to the rear bumper and splitter and they are standard parts.

Mate, it was obviously your wheels that caused the crash!

Ring them and ask for a quote for insurance for some other car, get it, then call back a day later and say you forgot to tell them you had larger wheels and can they please requote. Kick up a fuss if they try to charge more and try get them to do it for the same price.

With evidence of it not mattering in hand, ask them if they're sure the wheels are such a problem.

excuse my lack of experience. I thought that the other cars insurance company would be responsible for sorting it out?

Check the wording in your policy document. If it says ALL aftermarket accessories must be disclosed then yes they can try and refuse your claim on those grounds.

Might seem unfair but that's the contract you agreed to when you took up the policy.

Can't you claim through the other guys insurance?

excuse my lack of experience. I thought that the other cars insurance company would be responsible for sorting it out?

This is what I thought too - unless, the other party had no insurance

Check the wording in your policy document. If it says ALL aftermarket accessories must be disclosed then yes they can try and refuse your claim on those grounds.

Might seem unfair but that's the contract you agreed to when you took up the policy.

what say they are oem wheels?

what say they are oem wheels?

I would have thought the term aftermarket refers to any item that didn't come on the car as standard when it left the factory is classed as a 'modification'

E.g

Wheels

Stereo

Lowering Springs/Shocks

Engine

Turbo

Etc etc.

I would have thought it's pretty straight forward and well published the need to declare these types of things on insurance policy's.

The fact it could be OEM doesn't really mean anything, If I put an S50 in my 316i does than mean I don't have to declare it, because it was OEM in an E36 but not specifically the car I own.

Same theroy and it still doesn't work.

Also, Do you technically need a cert or not? (I don't no what size Tyre your using)

Edited by braeden.

dont forget those aftermarket air fresheners or umm aftermarket valve caps.. just what justifies aftermarket.

just what justifies aftermarket.

Exactly.

Technically new tyres would / should be classed 'aftermarket'.

The list could go on for ever, light bulbs, oil filter..........................

May have to inquire with my broker haha.

I would ask them, on what grounds does disclosing that you have aftermarket wheels effect this claim and i would think that as long as they are within the WOF standard that there should be no issue...i can remember a link, i read a while back explaining wheels needing to be within a certain offset etc to not have to get certification, if you get what i mean!?

I'm sure someone remembers and can link you too it.

Edited by cliffdunedin

they might not have given you insurance in the first place if they knew about the wheels, deemed more of a theft risk (and if the company is real uptight then maybe they'll call it a performance mod)

doesn't really matter if they affect the crash or not, it's whether they would've given you insurance

also very important to make sure you tell your insurance company when you get a speeding ticket

and make sure they acknowledge anything you tell them in writing

I know a few of you have kind of asked the question. But I am looking and changing insurance companies on my 5 and yes I have put a set of OEM 18's on it which the wheels were an original option on my car when it would have been new which the first owner didnt tick that box but I have since put those sport wheels on.

Would I have to declare that?

Or is it possible to just plead ignorant since they have BMW centre caps and look like they belong on the car I could have been any kind of cluless person who thought they were factory just becasue they say BMW on them..

Edited by RJS

If you are unsure list it. Also anything you change during ownership really needs to be listed, not if it's broken and replaced so much but if you upgrade.

If it was an oem option then you most likely will get away with it... But if you have had previous accidents or stolen cars they will send an assessor and if they think you know are into cars they do expect you to have know about the mods. Ring and ask what they have listed for your car, ask them to note it has the optional bigger wheels. Check the paper work too, i've seen heaps where the car is not in their listing so the model number is not quite right and the value is then questionable.

Watch the renewal too they drop the price and send new terms out as well :(

Also they are members of forums and Facebook is used same as HR at companies do too. You have to watch what your friends post on their pages too.

Having said that I had a car with a cage installed through state and they still insured it. Always go in person to an office you get a much better chance that way. Just treat it like a job interview for your car, dress well and don't lie your arse off.

I fitted M3 wheels to the 328i, called the insurance company and they said don't worry about it. I asked them to make a note anyway on the policy, which they did. It's always worth remembering that an insurance company will not pay a claim if they are technically able not to. Ask the people in Chch with houses in the red zone.

Edited by Palazzo

The problem has now been resolved.

Had I told them about the wheels, my premium would have been $1.19 per month extra. I have had to pay them this amount back to when I took out the insurance (the sum total of $71.) I got the car back yesterday looking a million bucks again. I got the panelbeater to do a couple of small carpark dings and colour code the rear splitter for me and it does look good.

I know a few of you have kind of asked the question. But I am looking and changing insurance companies on my 5 and yes I have put a set of OEM 18's on it which the wheels were an original option on my car when it would have been new which the first owner didnt tick that box but I have since put those sport wheels on.

Would I have to declare that?

Or is it possible to just plead ignorant since they have BMW centre caps and look like they belong on the car I could have been any kind of cluless person who thought they were factory just becasue they say BMW on them..

I told my insurance company that my car has a factory fitted Msport kit and suspension, just so it's on their records if they need to value the car

it makes no difference to the premiums, but it's just a good piece of mind knowing that they know about that stuff

just tell them, yes I have 18inch rims, but they are factory bmw rims

the insurer will probably like you more knowing that you are keen to disclose everything

also, I've found Vero to be very good when it comes to car mods

NZI on the other hand, they hate anything even remotely resembling a performance mod

my 3rd party insurance from AA seems to be good as well, only theft excess goes up, but not my annual insurance fee.