Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

E34 ergh

So my good wagon M52B20 engined (yes it has been engined swapped) is playing up

when i turn the key to on, everything works as it should. when i turn it to start the car clicks once and all the lights on he dash stay on. The battery is 100% working condition so its not that.

It used to do it once in a blue moon, but since i havent been daily driving it, it now does it pretty much every time when i first start it for the day, and then sometimes will do it the second time. it seems after those first two it comes right and i can drive it around as i used to and start it as much as i like. its only when i dont use it for a few days, or start and stop 20 times in a day that it does it again.

Any ideas?

Starter solinoid? im not sure what this actually is/where it is/how to replace it, but a quick google comes up with this. any other thoughts?

cheers, andy

Bad earth?

I believe the solenoid is attached to the starter.

having a bit of a poke around now. god i hate M5x engines... so much harder than M20s lol

Possible bad earth or starter.

If it's not earth problem, try giving the starter a few good whacks with a block of wood or some thing.

yeah tried that and nothing. walked past the car half an hour later and thought f-it ill turn the key and it started first time. gah i HATE these type of problems! you never know what fixes them! ill get it on the stands after work tomrrow and have a good look

yeah tried that and nothing. walked past the car half an hour later and thought f-it ill turn the key and it started first time. gah i HATE these type of problems! you never know what fixes them! ill get it on the stands after work tomrrow and have a good look

i wonder if the fusible link is dodgy.

i wonder if the fusible link is dodgy.

Where is that?

Had the exact same issue with my old 535i, ended up replacing the starter\solenoid.

Id try bypassing the starter relay if u havent already

its either your starter or earth, put a multi meter on the body of the starter and somewhere on the car, you should have continuity, (put your multimeter on the continuity setting, a little diod looking thing, or the lowest resistance setting.) If you have continuity your earths fine, then it will be the starter, (

also put a multi meter across your battery+ and the terminal on the back of the starter, that should also have continuity.)

its either your starter or earth, put a multi meter on the body of the starter and somewhere on the car, you should have continuity, (put your multimeter on the continuity setting, a little diod looking thing, or the lowest resistance setting.) If you have continuity your earths fine, then it will be the starter, (

also put a multi meter across your battery+ and the terminal on the back of the starter, that should also have continuity.)

cheers oli will give that a go if i can get my hands in there! Its tighter than a fish's ass down there.

I was messing around with the battery in it, and heres an interesting thing i have noted. assume the wagon with the problem is A (i have two wagons to save confusion lol).

If i disconnect the battery in car B and connect the terminals to car A's battery which is still connected to car A, car B starts and car A doesnt. If i reconnect the battery in car B both cars start. Im connecting the leads to the battery terminals on both cars

Does that ring any bells for anyone?

why is it always me that has electrics trouble!?!?!

cheers oli will give that a go if i can get my hands in there! Its tighter than a fish's ass down there.

I was messing around with the battery in it, and heres an interesting thing i have noted. assume the wagon with the problem is A (i have two wagons to save confusion lol).

If i disconnect the battery in car B and connect the terminals to car A's battery which is still connected to car A, car B starts and car A doesnt. If i reconnect the battery in car B both cars start. Im connecting the leads to the battery terminals on both cars

Does that ring any bells for anyone?

why is it always me that has electrics trouble!?!?!

well i dont understand that process....the fusible link is ussually encased in a plastic sheath right by the battery.Its like a really big fuse.They can crack which will give intermittent problems with passing large current draws.,ie starting,opening windows.Next time it doesnt strt see if the windows work

well i dont understand that process....the fusible link is ussually encased in a plastic sheath right by the battery.Its like a really big fuse.They can crack which will give intermittent problems with passing large current draws.,ie starting,opening windows.Next time it doesnt strt see if the windows work

Windows work on the car, as does everything else lights wipers etc :S ill have a look at this link and see

Windows work on the car, as does everything else lights wipers etc :S ill have a look at this link and see

the fuse link wont effect the starter.

i would say you just have a faulty starter motor , they do fail every now then .

i would say you just have a faulty starter motor , they do fail every now then .

thanks for that clarification Brent

now the fun part is figuring out what starter is on it haha. exE36 engine, exE38 trans in an E34 body..... lol

now the fun part is figuring out what starter is on it haha. exE36 engine, exE38 trans in an E34 body..... lol

any m50 m52 , m44 , m43 ,m42 m54 will work all use the same gear etc

have in stock if needed

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

any m50 m52 , m44 , m43 ,m42 m54 will work all use the same gear etc

have in stock if needed

Cheers Brent :)