Sign in to follow this  
shaneg

E39 won't start

Just makes a loud tick from the engine when turning key, auto start doesn't continue to turn it over.

Will only continue to crank when holding the key in start position.

All lights go out when it's staring.. Well trying to start.

No CEL

I assuming it's a fuse?

I was messing about under the hood last night and this morning, I was following a cable which went inti the fuse box area under the passenger side microfilter, which when I opened it dropped about 2litres of water on the ground but was still starting ok after that.

Also the fuses behind the glove compartment which where my cable was plugged into, and the area behind the steering wheel, a few wires were latched into the obd plug.

Was going to do a firmware update on my laser jammer.

Then today engine no worky.

Any idea what I've done?

Was on my way to work so haven't had a look at what it could be yet.

Flat battery?

Car is 00 540i with m62tub44

flat battery ,

maybe caused by a short from water ??

or just an old battery and you had the door open to long with the light on

Hmm maybe, I will check all the fuses when I get home, boot was left open a little but I thought it went to sleep? To save battery?

All lights still function and headlights are ok, I turned everything off while trying to start.

Any clue what that water was doing in there?

Thinking it mightve been sitting on the plastic cover nearer to the firewall.

Also Brent do you have any front wheel liners?

I just need 2 of the smaller panels for each wheel, the ones that go closest to the fog lighst with the 3 screws in them which hold it in place.

Hey what do you know it starts, def the battery..

Will give it a good run in the morning.

Look on the battery as your power storage unit and it needs to be in good nick obvious I know but so over looked at this time of year.Get the battery load tested and if OK have it re-charged correctly. Went through this same thing about 12 month ago and it was pain in the arse I never know if the car was going to start or not. Giving it a run to so call recharge the battery is only a stop gap measure because if the battery is your problem it will re-occur and drive you nuts.

My car did the same thing this week.. But all fixed now, was the battery I suspect didn't quite have enough charge to turn over, damn battery has date stamps of 1999 on it, so its doing well for a old battery just gave it a charge over night and is running sweet again

Hey what do you know it starts, def the battery..

Will give it a good run in the morning.

As Allan said, a drive will only put a surface charge on the battery. It needs to be charged & then load tested to confirm its state of durability. Yes the car will go to sleep with the boot open. The light will time out.

My car did the same thing this week.. But all fixed now, was the battery I suspect didn't quite have enough charge to turn over, damn battery has date stamps of 1999 on it, so its doing well for a old battery just gave it a charge over night and is running sweet again

As above - battery requires proper test to confirm it's durability. It will still start the car over a wide variation of state of charge (varying depending on ambient temperature), a fine line between go & no go. Being 11 yrs old, I would say it's on the way out. I had to replace a battery about 18 months ago in my 99 car. 10 yrs is about the benchmark for the original Euro battery.

Oh there is no doubt in my mind that the battery is on the way out to not believe that you would have to be pretty stupid considering its the original battery. Its lasted well so will just pick up a new OEM one sometime, no biggy and that can last another 10 years or so

Mine isn't oem mustve been replaced already hence why I didn't guess flat battery, looks to be only a few years old..

Best place to buy oem batteries?

I had this issue on my 540i late last year (m62tub44) Ialready replaced the battery in 2009. It turns out that the battery terminals need a clean. I used some water and baking soda along with an old electric tootbrush head to scrub them up. never had the issue since.

Mine isn't oem mustve been replaced already hence why I didn't guess flat battery, looks to be only a few years old..

Best place to buy oem batteries?

Doesn't need to be OEM, and to my knowledge NZ dealers won't have OEM either(stand to be corrected)

Just get a good quality Calcium battery to replace.

Unlikely to get the life of the original fit (usually Varta) batteries - they tend to be a step above in quality.

Over the years I have replaced many original fit BMW batteries that have been 10 & up to 14 yrs old

Doesn't need to be OEM, and to my knowledge NZ dealers won't have OEM either(stand to be corrected)

Just get a good quality Calcium battery to replace.

Unlikely to get the life of the original fit (usually Varta) batteries - they tend to be a step above in quality.

Over the years I have replaced many original fit BMW batteries that have been 10 & up to 14 yrs old

BMW dealers do stock OEM batteries, we sell plenty of them..

about $450 though, but when you think about it if it lasts 14 years its worth it!

i went to a local auto electrician(battery town i think) and got the original spec battery for the e34 was a Hella,...

Edited by kiwi535